Room 101

taxi4ballet

The ambulance callers said no they had asked if they could wear a mask and they wouldn’t presumably do this if the patient was in that much distress. 
I suppose the patients perception of it may have been different though....

Also on this programme bus drivers were saying they were spat on by people refusing to wear masks and although there’s a screen between them and passengers  not exactly very pleasant. 
I suppose you give up asking in the end. 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

I queried this with the receptionist and was told all the people I had seen were wearing badges that indicated they were exempt.  Apparently you can buy these badges from Amazon without requiring any proof that you are eligible to wear one...

That's appalling.  Surely Amazon or someone need to be clamping down on that - what an irresponsible way of helping to spread the virus :(   If you have a genuine medical need, you can get one from the relevant medical charity, as far as I know, or there's the Sunflower Lanyard, which I know Tesco have been promoting heavily ...

I myself have a respiratory condition which in certain types of weather makes it extremely unpleasant and uncomfortable to have to wear a mask.  In fact, the one time I tried doing a long train journey to the seaside over the summer the weather had changed by the time of the return journey, and the effect was so bad that I almost had to get off the train to take a breather before I could continue.  Nevertheless, I always wear a mask, regardless of any discomfort (apart from the couple of times I forgot and walzed into Sainsbury's without mine on - I soon realised my mistake!).

3 hours ago, Fonty said:

I think that we have come to the point where if a person cannot a mask or face covering for any reason, then they should not be allowed in.  Having a condition that makes you exempt doesn't make you immune from catching and spreading Covid.

Exactly.  Is it any wonder that ambulance staff are coming down with it, if they have to spend several hours shut in a small space with a Covid patient who isn't wearing a mask?  Incidentally, I went past an independent chemist today which had a sign on the door effectively saying: Sorry, if you're not wearing a mask you're not coming in.  Attract our attention and we'll come to the door and serve you, but you're not coming in, even if you have an exemption.  Makes sense, especially for somewhere that small.  The trouble is, I suspect equalities legislation could come into play in the situation you suggest.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, alison said:

Incidentally, I went past an independent chemist today which had a sign on the door effectively saying: Sorry, if you're not wearing a mask you're not coming in.  Attract our attention and we'll come to the door and serve you, but you're not coming in, even if you have an exemption.  

My independent chemist also has the same sign, plus strict rules as to how many people can enter the shop at any one time.  We were all queuing up outside.  Shame about the assistant who was striding about the shop helping customers with her face mask under her chin. 

• Like 1

On 11/01/2021 at 17:54, glowlight said:

BBC news says Morrisons are stepping up on the face masks thing - but how staff will identify people who are 'medically exempt' I don't know as there is no legal definition for who is medically exempt.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55618408

This is the problem. 

Last time I looked, the government guidelines said that people do not actually have to provide proof of medical exemption if they don't want to.  It all seems a total waste of time, as that allows anyone who doesn't like wearing one to do so with impunity.  

• Like 3

On 11/01/2021 at 23:17, Peony said:

Under 11s are exempt although many do wear them. For a quick trip in the supermarket I think the majority of school age kids could wear one

Most primary aged children are perfectly capable of wearing a face covering, and in many countries they have to.

• Like 1

To wear a mask safely you have to be able to do it without touching it or fiddling so personally I think we were right to follow WHO guidelines for children  which take into account risks as well as benefits. Personally I have no issue with those who genuinely can’t wear a face covering and don’t think they should stay home. However those that can safely should and there’s a number of people who could but just don’t want to. 

• Like 1

On 14/01/2021 at 21:29, Peony said:

To wear a mask safely you have to be able to do it without touching it or fiddling so personally I think we were right to follow WHO guidelines for children  which take into account risks as well as benefits. Personally I have no issue with those who genuinely can’t wear a face covering and don’t think they should stay home. However those that can safely should and there’s a number of people who could but just don’t want to. 

The problem is that people who genuinely cannot wear a mask are going to be a risk.  If non mask wearing was limited to those with proof of medical exemption it would probably be fine, but there was a shocking video taken last week in a supermarket in Greenwich, showing about 15 people in the space of 6 minutes shopping without a mask on.  

I cannot believe they all qualify for exemption.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate that this has been mentioned by people before but I really object to the discrimination against people booking single tickets that is being applied to social distance seating arrangements in theatres.

I had been carrying tickets forward - all front row stalls - at a theatre and my replacements are at least 12 rows back.  I am not a hugely happy bunny as the booking originally related to dates in May 2020 and had been carried forward to May 2021 (without social distancing) but social distancing is now being applied.  The tickets had been booked in June and December 2019.

I did look at another show that is on sale and I could not find, in the stalls, one instance of a single ticket that could be booked!

I exclude Leeds Grand from my mega-whinge because their checkerboard seating plan meant that you could book a single ticket anywhere!

• Like 1

Jan, totally feel this! I didn't book a show at my local theatre (where I used to see everything they did) because I couldn't easily book a single seat online. Theatre booking systems have ALWAYS discriminated against single seat bookings, but now it's well nigh impossible.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Firefox.  I keep suddenly getting "Server Not Found" on all sorts of things, including when I was trying to download my ticket for tonight :(  This is since the fancy new update of a few days ago, but unfortunately my attempts to do a System Restore back to the previous version this afternoon have all failed, keeping the computer out of action for hours and forcing me to work on the train coming up once again to make up for it :(

3 hours ago, alison said:

Firefox.  

Due to Links I have a number of browsers:  My main one is Safari but I also have Chrome, Firefox, Opera and Brave!  Firefox used to be my main browser but it went rogue on me a few years ago so now it's my "only if I am desperate"!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Due to Links I have a number of browsers:  My main one is Safari but I also have Chrome, Firefox, Opera and Brave!  Firefox used to be my main browser but it went rogue on me a few years ago so now it's my "only if I am desperate"!

I had that problem with Chrome, so switched to Firefox. Was excellent for a while, but now I do have to close it down before closing the laptop lid. And for some reason, I can't use my photo editing program, if FF is open (perhaps they want to use the same memory addresses or something). Now its struggling with a few sites, and goes into hyperdrive on others. Either that or I really do need a new computer!! lol

• 1 month later...

Football hooligans.  I was utterly mortified by England fans booing other countries' national anthems, and the attempted laser pen sabotage.  I was told on social media that this was 'just banter' and that you should always make a home venue into a hostile environment for the opposing team. Why would you want a game not to have a level playing field - what kind of hollow victory does that give? Now, the vast majority of football fans are not loutish hooligans, but the vast majority of loutish hooligans are football fans. What is it about football that generates so much of this kind of behaviour compared to other sports??  I've just been watching the Wimbledon womens' doubles on TV.  Russian, Belgian and Taiwanese players, to a largely British crowd.  Every good point got enthusiastically cheered, and both winners and losers got a huge round of applause.  That's what sport should be all about.  Grrr.  

Edited by Quintus
spelling!
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Football hooligans. 

It's shameful isn't it!

Here in Liverpool my Dad's (big) family was split between red and blue.  When it was the derby match they would all stand together.  I don't know when that spirit of sportsmanship was lost.

I had colleagues in the late 90s early 00s who were keen football fans and who would not go to the derby match if it was in the opposing team's ground.  I couldn't understand the logic of that.

• Like 2

I seem to remember a friend of mine refusing to go to a Bruce Springsteen gig because he was playing at Arsenal's home ground. No idea why - I've not known her since to have any particular antipathy towards Arsenal :(

More fool her - it was a really great concert.

11 hours ago, Quintus said:

the vast majority of loutish hooligans are football fans

I’m all for decrying loutishness but am not sure if members of the Bullingdon Club (and many other examples come to mind) are football fans.

• Like 4

Well it could be that tennis is more of an individual sport ...one player against another...whereas football is a team sport so has a more “tribal” element coming in. 
The vast majority of fans are good natured and just want a good game and don’t take it too personally. But it’s the few who are acting like headless chickens ( fuelled by too much alcohol) who get ALL the publicity. And some have behaved disgracefully after the Denmark game even though we won for heavens sake 🙄
Also with this Euros the press are really hyping it up as to England winning meaning EVERYTHING in your life ...not a good thing for those who in reality have very poor prospects. 

It would be good if on this occasion We do win ...even better if it’s a really good close game ..but Italy are a good team and have been playing very well so if they win it won’t be a disaster! One team has to lose!! 
And let’s hope those minority of “fans”who cause trouble can behave themselves whichever way it goes. 
Football is the most popular game in this country so has a much greater following so will include more people who will be potential trouble makers unfortunately. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Well it could be that tennis is more of an individual sport ...one player against another...whereas football is a team sport so has a more “tribal” element coming in. 

Rugby and cricket are team sports and you very rarely hear of loutish incidents among their fans.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I think my last sentence goes some way to explaining that! 

Yes, ultimately it's the stats that drive it - a very small percentage of a very large number is still unfortunately a lot.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Quintus said:

Football hooligans.  I was utterly mortified by England fans booing other countries' national anthems, and the attempted laser pen sabotage.  I was told on social media that this was 'just banter' and that you should always make a home venue into a hostile environment for the opposing team...

Good reasons for avoiding both football and social media in my opinion.

• Like 1

Well to borrow the sentiment of the late, great Bill Shankly:  ''Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.' I know he was exaggerating for effect (or was he?!) but for millions of people football is not just sport. Of course that doesn't justify hooliganism, but it explains why the whole range of human behaviour is evident within the context of football. And why I find last night's defeat unbearable and will happily consign it to Room 101.

Agree Janet it really is so disappointing and disgraceful and spoils the whole mood for us all. I hope the people who have shown this abuse are banned from social media. 

I wouldn’t put the teams defeat in room 101 though Bridiem 😊
Throughout this tournament the English team have been giving real football fans a lot of pleasure and playing with real spirit skill and intent. 
I watched Italy in a few matches and have to admit was dreading getting them in the final if we got there as I genuinely believe we would have beaten any other team!!! 

Definitely the two best teams were in the Final!! 
The two teams could hardly be separated even at the penalty shootout 😱 

So although was not the final result we all wanted after being so close to getting that Trophy 😢 there are lots of positives we can take away from this Euros 

Onwards and upwards as they say though not sure can go through it all again quite so soon ...next year!! 

• Like 5

Just spent the entire day stuck at home waiting for the alleged delivery of something major which needed to be signed for.  No way of tracking it at all.  I was given an hour's delivery slot eventually.  Waited for that hour, plus another hour and a quarter after that, with absolutely no information as to whether the parcel was actually going to arrive or not, just an "oops, it looks as though we're a bit behind schedule"-type message.  In the end, once the official 8-hour delivery period was well past, I gave up and rescheduled it for tomorrow, because I just had no idea what had happened.  So that'll be another day at home when I need to be in the office :(Very poor.

So yes, that delivery company is definitely going in Room 101.  If it had been a personal delivery rather than a business one, I would have been less bothered, but it's very poor for business equipment.

Edited by alison