Room 101

taxi4ballet

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Peony said:

I’m not sure when the increased emphasis on grammar was introduced into the curriculum but it is now certainly far in excess of anything I learnt at school. Primary school level; fronted adverbials, appositives, noun sentences.

You what???

I've recently taken on some editing work, and am starting to find it a struggle to justify my changes because I don't have the grammatical background to explain them.  I was definitely one of the generation who missed out: the only reason I know as much about grammar as I do is because of picking it up from foreign language lessons - and Latin.

• Like 2

In goes ruddy TalkTalk and their utter uselessness at problem-solving.

My husband has spent about five hours today on their online 'live chat' trying to sort out his mother's phone. She can ring out, but nobody else can ring her - the phone just goes dead. All we need to find out is whether there's a problem with her handset (in which case we can solve it by buying a new one) or whether there is an issue with the telephone line itself.

He has been driven completely round the bend by their utter incompetence and total inability to just test the line to see whether it is ok or not. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Fiz said:

Oh, Talk Talk are the very worst! We ditched them in 2012 and I can still remember the nightmare they were to deal with, from start to finish. You have my sympathy. 

Same here.  I still wake up in a cold sweat remembering the agony of trying to sort out problems with our bills.

On 09/10/2012 at 11:16, taxi4ballet said:

The ginger cat from up the road which keeps coming into the garden and showing an unwelcome interest in our guinea pigs

Adding to the list of cat deterrents - you can actually buy lion poo from local zoos (and in dry pellet form online), which is supposed to keep moggies at bay.  I've never tried it, so don't know whether it works or just attracts lions instead!

• Like 3

On 18/10/2020 at 09:38, bridiem said:

And, the problem is that the more people who say this sort of thing the more it becomes the norm and so will be deemed to be OK (because 'language changes all the time' etc). Even highly educated people now say (for example) 'Me and John went out for a meal' instead of 'John and I...'. Why?? They wouldn't say 'Me went out for a meal'!! (I think it's a kind of inverse snobbery, conscious or otherwise - not wanting to sound educated/correct/pompous. Very depressing if you ask me.)

The opposite is also irritating:  "The invitation is for John and I".  As you say, no-one would say, "The invitation is for I".

• Like 5

That %$£&£$& virus.  The daughter of friends of mine was supposed to be having her re-rescheduled wedding this coming Saturday.  Lockdown came before the banns had been read for the last time, so they'd had to get a special licence from the Bishop, and that's apparently only valid for 3 months :(

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, alison said:

That %$£&£$& virus.  The daughter of friends of mine was supposed to be having her re-rescheduled wedding this coming Saturday.  Lockdown came before the banns had been read for the last time, so they'd had to get a special licence from the Bishop, and that's apparently only valid for 3 months :(

I feel so sad for all the couples trying to get married at the moment.  Probably worth her contacting the bishop's office to see if the licence can be extended due to the exceptional circumstances.  She won't be the only person in this situation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peony said:

It seems very unjust that people can’t get married at all. You can debate the ‘frills’ but it seems very unfair that the legal ceremony can’t go ahead 

I agree - if all they want is a simple ceremony with only a couple of witnesses I think this should be allowed.  

I think there is provision to allow marriages in exceptional circumstances (which I'm guessing might be if someone has a terminal or life threatening illness).

• Like 1

Well, due to everyone involved - celebrant, flowers, music and heaven knows what else besides (guests included, of course) - having pulled all the stops out, bent over backwards and what have you, I'm pleased to say that they have managed to bring the wedding forward by a few days so that it can be done just in time.  But it's required a huge amount of commitment and rescheduling from everybody (all friends of the family, thankfully).  I don't imagine that most of those who have had more formal arrangements with venues, registry offices, providers of services and suchlike will have been able to benefit from such flexibility, and my heart goes out to them :(

• Like 4

On 01/11/2020 at 10:06, bangorballetboy said:

People who say “myself” when they mean “me”.

Oh yesssss! that is one of the things that irritates me. I suspect that people think it's more "proper" or correct. But it just sounds like Hyacinth Bucket-speak to me. 

I like George Orwell's essay on writing & speaking direct clear straightforward English. The use of "myself" instead of me, or - perhaps even worse - "yourself" instead of you, just sounds so faux posh. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I'm afraid the covidiots are getting on my nerves again.  You might think that since we've been in Tier 4 for nearly a couple of weeks now the message might be starting to get through, but oh no.  Teenagers wandering in groups up and down the high street, not obviously shopping for essential food or medical items, people on public transport not wearing masks at all (and with no obvious justification), or wearing them but just over the mouth, not the nose, or not covering either ... 

Now, today - New Year's Eve - I go out to do some food shopping to cover us for a few days.  Too many people in Sainsbury's for my liking, so I leave again rather hurriedly.  Try the other two supermarkets, but am forewarned by the huge number of cars in the car parks.  Sure enough, queues outside the stores, the lengths of which I haven't seen since the first lockdown.  Not helped by the fact that the large supermarkets will be closing early this evening, so shopping has to be compressed into a smaller number of hours, and some won't be open tomorrow, but even so, I'd like to know what percentage of the people are trying to squeeze champagne, other alcohol and party-type foods into the definition of essential foods.  Quite a few, I suspect - clearly not taking this thing seriously.  And people wonder why the infection rates are skyrocketing!!!!

• Like 1

Can I put the BBC into room 101? If ever there was a year to absolutely pull out the stops it was this year, and there’s practically nothing new at all. With everyone at home on New Years’ eve a film would have been nice. I think it links a little with Alison’s observations above, boredom has set in. 

• Like 2

??!!  The BBC has got half-a-dozen high-profile new series starting in the next couple of days.  They did also cover a fireworks and light show which I had no idea was even going ahead.  Otherwise, NYE seemed much as usual, scheduling-wise.

The pictures of Hungerford Bridge and Trafalgar Square are scary, though:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55504450

• Like 1

But surely it’s Christmas and new year which need the programming? Yes the 10 minutes of fireworks were nice but otherwise Jules Holland and the other music concert were not exactly something to sit down and watch with the family. Usually we get a new David walliams and Julia Donaldson for the kids, a couple of newish films, new Agatha Christie 2 parter or similar. Usually people are out over Christmas so new programming comes in January, I just thought it was an error to have nothing over Christmas this year. When there’s a big game on the supermarkets are empty so there is obviously some effect!

my young people knew about the fireworks so I guess there was a leak on social media or similar!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peony said:

Can I put the BBC into room 101? If ever there was a year to absolutely pull out the stops it was this year, and there’s practically nothing new at all. With everyone at home on New Years’ eve a film would have been nice. I think it links a little with Alison’s observations above, boredom has set in. 

There have been many problems making new programs. Those in front of, and those behind, the cameras, have to practice social distancing. Someone goes sick with Covid, or has a asymptomatic positive test, or is notified by the NHS that someone near them has, production stops as the crew may have to isolate for 2 weeks and the expense rockets. Making new shows over Zoom (such as Staged) are limiting; studio dramas would look weird with everyone 2m apart anyway; outdoor dramas have technical difficulties (and expense), as well as travel problems due to lockdown/tier restrictions. So I'm not sure what exactly you expect the BBC (and other TV companies) to have done. There ARE new shows coming out, that have been recorded in the summer lull (before lockdowns struck again - e.g. Doctor Who this evening was filmed before the March lockdown, and the rest of the series being completed as best they can to be released when finished). As for last night and 'a film would be nice' - most film rights these days swallowed up by Netflix, Disney+ etc, or Sky Movies.

• Like 1

Christmas Day BBC2- 2 films from the 1950s, 3 series from the 1970s and Victoria wood from the 1990s. Whilst there have been problems this year I do think they could have cast the net wider and come up with better. There are many great series from abroad they could have bought in for a start. Or what about some of the material from their private venture britbox or whatever it is. Or commission some animated works. I find so little to watch maybe the answer is just to get rid of live tv this year!

• Like 1

I suspect that by next Christmas we may well be wishing we had this year's Christmas/New Year offerings back :(  After all, this year has been a real eye-opener as to how far ahead "Christmas" specials are recorded - spot the ones without social distancing!  (For example, there were two 2020 "Christmas" Repair Shops - noticeable that the first had people coming in and shaking hands as normal, while in the second the visitors stood well back from the regulars).  Not Going Out seemed to manage quite well at keeping the cast members at a distance from each other without it being horribly noticeable.  I must admit that my mind wandered during several programmes as I tried to work out whether they had been recorded before or after Covid!

• Like 2

I’ve seen a few programs now with guests who’ve said that they are in a work ‘bubble’ to allow them to be close together. Not sure how that works- maybe rapid testing? Hopefully by summer it can be expanded to larger groups of people so that at least our dancers and actors can start working more easily with each other 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Peony said:

I’ve seen a few programs now with guests who’ve said that they are in a work ‘bubble’ to allow them to be close together. Not sure how that works- maybe rapid testing? Hopefully by summer it can be expanded to larger groups of people so that at least our dancers and actors can start working more easily with each other 

There was a feature on Breakfast News when filming resumed on Eastenders.  It's all smoke, mirrors and editing.  Characters can be walking side by side in the street but what we don't see in the edited version is that they had a rolling perspex screen between them and family members are acting as body doubles!  I believe they are using similar techniques on Doctors too.

Creative people are so ... creative, inventive and blummin' necessary.

• Like 3

Clients who, having barely asked for this for the last nine months, suddenly ask you for something which absolutely can't be done without you going into the office, just after a lockdown has been imposed.  It happened last time around, too - several times :(  Obviously, nobody was expecting a lockdown to happen quite so soon, but if they'd told me of this requirement at the outset it could have been done pre-lockdown, no problem.

On 31/12/2020 at 16:12, alison said:

I'm afraid the covidiots are getting on my nerves again.  You might think that since we've been in Tier 4 for nearly a couple of weeks now the message might be starting to get through, but oh no. 

See e.g.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/the-ridiculous-excuses-and-blatant-breaches-of-coronavirus-rules-caught-by-police-in-wales/ar-BB1cALr7?ocid=ASUDHP

Been a while since I have posted on this thread.  Just looked back over a few of the additions.  I am sure there have been a few rants about the lack of face coverings in indoor public places, but I am now about to have one!

I have just been involved in a huge discussion on Facebook regarding whether or not supermarkets should enforce the wearing of masks.  My response was along the lines that they should definitely do so.  I am very sorry for people who have a genuine reason for being exempt.  There may be one or two people on this forum who come into this category for all I know.   However,  I suspect that the majority of those without masks claiming exemption are just too selfish to put one on, putting their own comfort above the safety of others.  Rather vague information on the government website regarding exemption rules aid and abet this attitude.  

I think that we have come to the point where if a person cannot a mask or face covering for any reason, then they should not be allowed in.  Having a condition that makes you exempt doesn't make you immune from catching and spreading Covid..

The majority of people agreed with me, but I was astounded at the number of people who came up with all sorts of excuses for not doing so.  From their comments I conclude that everyone without a face mask is probably a paranoid schizophrenic with emphysema who suffers a panic attack every time they put on a mask.  Also, they live in the middle of nowhere, without a friend, relative or neighbour to help them,  and would probably starve to death unless allowed in to my local supermarket. 😠

I have been heavily criticised for being sanctimonious and for lacking compassion for people suffering from mental illness. Apologies if I have offended anyone.  I shall climb down from my soapbox now!

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 6

People who genuinely cannot wear masks must be in the minority Fonty and they are being seriously disrespected by the people who go to lengths just not to wear a mask.

When I took Chipdog to the Vet to have his boosters I was absolutely shocked at the number of people not wearing masks.  The procedure is that you stand at the door to check in and then go back to your car or stand in a socially distanced queue outside until you are called in.  

I was called in to the waiting room and there was one other person already in there wearing a mask.  The person who came out of the surgery was not wearing a mask.  While I was waiting to be called - despite notices outside saying only one person could come in with the animal - three couples came inside to check in - none of them wearing masks!!  While I was waiting to pay yet another young lady came in without a mask.

I queried this with the receptionist and was told all the people I had seen were wearing badges that indicated they were exempt.  Apparently you can buy these badges from Amazon without requiring any proof that you are eligible to wear one...

In the early days of mandatory mask wearing I asked a member of staff in my local supermarket if they challenged anyone not wearing a mask and they said the staff were instructed not to challenge in case the person was genuine and suffered embarrassment by being challenged.

On the other hand my hairdresser said he would refuse entry to anyone who wasn't wearing a mask.

One of my closest friends suffers badly from COPD and nearly died from an attack last summer.  If anyone had a legitimate reason for not wearing a mask it would be her but she wears one.

No wonder the virus is out of control with people, in my opinion,  flagrantly flouting the rules.

I am sorry if I have offended anyone who genuinely cannot wear a mask and I would say that when I go on my weekly trip to the supermarket I have not noticed anyone not wearing a mask in recent months.

• Like 6

I have to say that have been really surprised down here in Brighton how good the vast majority of people are being. 
most people in shops and on buses have been wearing masks. 
My feeling is that now with this new strain people should not be allowed in shops or on buses etc without a mask on. Most of the time they are not in the shop or on the bus for that long a time so can have periods without wearing a mask to give them a breather and if they cannot cope with this then they should not travel into towns to shop and make some other arrangement for food to be delivered or friends and neighbours to shop for them. 
When I look at the local Brighton numbers alone there is something unusual going on. 
Our numbers since last March inspite of summer visitors etc have always been low ..well below the national average. When we came out of the November lockdown we had just 58 cases per 100,000 people...in just one month we have gone to 700 plus cases per 100,000 

I haven’t seen people behaving any differently although the town was a bit busy just before Christmas but still queues outside certain shops to limit numbers etc. 
Maybe one or two larger supermarkets such as T.... had taken eye off the ball a bit and were allowing too many in at once. 
But anyway this new strain must be that much more infectious looking at the numbers here so stricter measures have to be in place to get on top of it more quickly. 

I was shocked to hear on LBC radio that some ambulance drivers and paramedics were going to houses to pick up people with covid who refused to wear a mask at any point on journey to hospital!! 
We all hate these masks ...well I do anyway...and can’t wait to get to a point where we don’t have to any more but we haven’t reached that point at the moment. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LinMM said:

ambulance drivers and paramedics were going to houses to pick up people with covid who refused to wear a mask at any point on journey to hospital!! 

I presume they weren’t in respiratory distress as you’d probably have an oxygen mask on instead!

I agree with Janet, people using excuses should really feel ashamed of themselves for making the life of those genuinely unable to wear them more difficult. When people are out as a couple both unmasked, both ignoring other measures it does rather create the impression that they’re swinging the lead. I’m not sure what the answer is. 

• Like 3