Room 101

taxi4ballet

Many people are wearing masks all day every day of the working week, including some kids who are in schools which include this in their risk assessment. I don’t understand why adults can’t just wear them properly around the shops etc. It’s not really temporarily removing to catch your breath, de-fog glasses etc that’s the problem, many people have them permanently on chin or under their nose! I thought everything that may cause an aerosol is high risk, it doesn’t take 15 minutes- coughing, sneezing, talking loudly, spitting. And yes I’ve been close to people doing all of those things with no mask, there seems to be a correlation! Certain places/ shops I will just avoid..

• Like 3

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Recommended PPE for the majority of NHS staff is either just a face covering or at best a fluid repellent surgical mask. I’m not sure whether anyone has caught covid whilst wearing full PPE- properly fitted and in date respirator mask, visor, apron, gloves etc? I guess you could contaminate yourself taking them off but I thought the masks were over 99% effective

The item was on the BBC news website 2 days ago now. Saying that where there was risk of very high viral load even nurses in correct PPE could still pick up the virus. 
But of course back in March April I think in some hospitals ( not every single one!) nurses were not able to renew their PPE often enough so maybe this contributed. 
I don’t know whether as coughing or sneezing is more explosive it transmits the virus more easily and further etc but the 15 min rule seemed to apply to people talking. (Not everybody shouts all the time!!) But obviously it would depend on the amount of viral load being passed by any individual and exactly how infectious they were at the time. 

PEOPLE WHO DON'T PICK UP THEIR DOG POO!!!

I was on the beach this morning when a couple with a GSD-type dog on a lead just walked off when their dog had finished its elephant-sized poo.  I called after them and, of course, they ignored me.

I can understand people not chasing after their dog's poo when it is in a wild area that is very unlikely to be trodden on ... but on the beach where people walk, play, dig sandcastles etc.

• Like 2

Very good of you to try to get the owners to clear up Jan. If you had your camera would you take photos and contact the appropriate local council? I’m despairing of the littering/dog waste problems and can’t help thinking well publicised prosecutions are required but councils are stretched and don’t have the resources to collect evidence.

image.jpeg.68f30dafbbfd84150b4286c61915ad95.jpeg

Jonny Wood, Borrowdale, historic wood with ancient walls.

image.jpeg.05ea3882dae520288197e1bba913aa07.jpeg

But left pillar spoiled by dog waste bag.

No sign of dog and owners so didn’t have the quandary of calling them out or taking photos. 

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

Very good of you to try to get the owners to clear up Jan. If you had your camera would you take photos and contact the appropriate local council? I’m despairing of the littering/dog waste problems and can’t help thinking well publicised prosecutions are required but councils are stretched and don’t have the resources to collect evidence.

image.jpeg.68f30dafbbfd84150b4286c61915ad95.jpeg

Jonny Wood, Borrowdale, historic wood with ancient walls.

image.jpeg.05ea3882dae520288197e1bba913aa07.jpeg

But left pillar spoiled by dog waste bag.

No sign of dog and owners so didn’t have the quandary of calling them out or taking photos. 

I spoke to a member of the ranger service who said they have no powers to enforce clearing up.    I only had my phone with me and by the time I pulled it out they were too far away for a photo to be any good.  It seems to me that this has become much more of an issue since lockdown started for some unknown reason.

And why people hang used bags up is absolutely beyond me.  They would have been better off letting the poo lie.

• Like 2

I was up in Borrowdale last week (it's the most perfect place in the world) - climbed High Spy via Tongue Gill from Rosthwaite, so walked near to Jonny Wood. Then did the ridge walk from High Spy to Cat Bells & down into Keswick. Up on the ridge (bits of which were like the M6 with very badly equipped walkers) I counted THREE black bags with dog poo. 

Just left on the side of the footpath.

What are people thinking??? My thoughts were unprintable, but involved closing the Lake District to ignorant day trippers & people who walk their dogs off the lead in fields with stock in them.

But what should we do about such ignorant filthy people? I considered whether I should have picked up the poo bags and carried them with me down the fell to deposit in a bin in Keswick - except I didn't have an extra plastic bag in my day pack - just my water, my OS map, and my Wainwright.

Ugh it was nasty.

Edited by Kate_N
  • Like 2

I have to say that whilst I pick up litter when out walking and will often fill my rubbish bag with orange peel, banana skins and other detritus, I draw the line at dog waste/used tissues, unless on an organised and equipped litter pick. 

I put something about littering on a walking Facebook site and was pleased to see the support. I’m hoping that enforcement authorities will take action.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1443502369240434/permalink/2738068236450501/

Sorry about the dog waste and crowds Kate. I did a similar walk on August Bank Holiday Saturday, setting off early, and Cat Bells was a continual procession at 9:30, fortunately when I was heading down. Complete contrast on the Sunday when I didn’t pass anyone for the first 5 hours when on Bessyboot/Rosthwaite Fell until getting to the main Glaramara path and then only a few people.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

AAAAGGGGHHHH!!!  What is it with websites at the moment?  Seems every time I change site at the moment I'm being asked to (re)approve my privacy settings :(  And the defaults you're being asked to approve vary so widely: some have virtually everything set to OFF, but others set everything to ON, and hope you'll just click on Accept without bothering to look any further.  Sneaky.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, alison said:

AAAAGGGGHHHH!!!  What is it with websites at the moment?  Seems every time I change site at the moment I'm being asked to (re)approve my privacy settings :(  And the defaults you're being asked to approve vary so widely: some have virtually everything set to OFF, but others set everything to ON, and hope you'll just click on Accept without bothering to look any further.  Sneaky.

The websites I hate the most are those where you don't have an option to turn everything off. I just back out and refuse to use their services.

• Like 2

Some shops  in London and at home have someone at the door asking for masks and antibac rub of hands. Mostly the more expensive ones but a couple of our supermarkets too. Pretty much everyone has been wearing them all the way through in our town though. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

I have to say though that the mask-wearing rate has gone up here over the last few weeks.

I wonder why.  Perhaps if it had been done earlier the current situation might have been avoided?

• Like 3

14 hours ago, AnneMarriott said:

Poor grammar.  Contestant on a quiz show, apparently a university graduate in English and drama, claims to be a writer and when asked what she has written, says "I have wrote a play".  Is it just me who wants to throw a cushion at the television?

And, the problem is that the more people who say this sort of thing the more it becomes the norm and so will be deemed to be OK (because 'language changes all the time' etc). Even highly educated people now say (for example) 'Me and John went out for a meal' instead of 'John and I...'. Why?? They wouldn't say 'Me went out for a meal'!! (I think it's a kind of inverse snobbery, conscious or otherwise - not wanting to sound educated/correct/pompous. Very depressing if you ask me.)

• Like 6

I’m back to put groups of Lycra clad cyclists in Room 101. I hadn’t realised we’d had a blissful few months without packs of shouting, Lycra clad, entitled cyclists until they are back this morning. For the past 5 hours we’ve had groups going past the house every few minutes, shouting to each other as the approach the junction ‘LEFT, LEFT, LEFT’. Not sure why they can’t see the various arrows that have been put out or the actual road signs that inform all road users of the T junction. And don’t get me started on those that think the drive is their special stopping point for a drink and a chat even though there is a perfectly useable village green across the road. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, bridiem said:

And, the problem is that the more people who say this sort of thing the more it becomes the norm and so will be deemed to be OK (because 'language changes all the time' etc). Even highly educated people now say (for example) 'Me and John went out for a meal' instead of 'John and I...'. Why?? They wouldn't say 'Me went out for a meal'!! (I think it's a kind of inverse snobbery, conscious or otherwise - not wanting to sound educated/correct/pompous. Very depressing if you ask me.)

starting a sentence with ‘and’ 😫🤣

I’m not sure when the increased emphasis on grammar was introduced into the curriculum but it is now certainly far in excess of anything I learnt at school. Primary school level; fronted adverbials, appositives, noun sentences. Thank goodness for google! It does make English an incredibly boring subject at school which is a great shame, I don’t think we have got the balance right yet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jane said:

I’m back to put groups of Lycra clad cyclists in Room 101. I hadn’t realised we’d had a blissful few months without packs of shouting, Lycra clad, entitled cyclists until they are back this morning. For the past 5 hours we’ve had groups going past the house every few minutes, shouting to each other as the approach the junction ‘LEFT, LEFT, LEFT’. Not sure why they can’t see the various arrows that have been put out or the actual road signs that inform all road users of the T junction. And don’t get me started on those that think the drive is their special stopping point for a drink and a chat even though there is a perfectly useable village green across the road. 

Rimrose Valley Country Park is a magnet for groups of lycra clad cyclists who assume they own all the pathways and go at sometimes ludicrous speeds spread across mixed use paths.

My favourite walk onto the main body of the park is through quite a narrow path the eventually has a sharp bend and incline.  I've lost count of the number of times I have had to leap out of the way of speeding cyclists coming down the incline and around the blind bend.

Mind you last weekend took the biscuit when I was nearly mown down by two speeding runners who were part of a group timing themselves!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Rimrose Valley Country Park is a magnet for groups of lycra clad cyclists who assume they own all the pathways and go at sometimes ludicrous speeds spread across mixed use paths.

My favourite walk onto the main body of the park is through quite a narrow path the eventually has a sharp bend and incline.  I've lost count of the number of times I have had to leap out of the way of speeding cyclists coming down the incline and around the blind bend.

Mind you last weekend took the biscuit when I was nearly mown down by two speeding runners who were part of a group timing themselves!

And then look at you like you shouldn’t be there? 🙄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peony said:

starting a sentence with ‘and’ 😫🤣

I’m not sure when the increased emphasis on grammar was introduced into the curriculum but it is now certainly far in excess of anything I learnt at school. Primary school level; fronted adverbials, appositives, noun sentences. Thank goodness for google! It does make English an incredibly boring subject at school which is a great shame, I don’t think we have got the balance right yet.

Ho, ho - guilty as charged!

I started school in the 1960s and I've never heard of fronted adverbials etc - I'm (clearly) not a grammar expert or fanatic and I'm sure I get a lot of things wrong. But (oops!) I think that understanding the difference between the subject and the object of a sentence is pretty basic. (My sense of usage/grammar comes largely from reading, and to some extent from having studied Latin later on.) I don't think that the theory should overwhelm the practice, but I know nothing about teaching English so I will keep quiet about it!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Peony said:

So many of them seem to have no concept of their own safety let alone anybody elses! I’m surprised you have escaped them for a few months, they’ve been out in force here!

Over the last few years there have been increasing amounts of huge organised cycle races that start at local public school and head towards coast, they claim to be raising money for charity. In May we normally have a sunrise cycle that attracts hundreds and at the same time a two day triathlon that also goes past in opposite direction. When I still did night shifts I had to make sure I wasn’t working otherwise no sleep was possible. 

32 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Ho, ho - guilty as charged!

I started school in the 1960s and I've never heard of fronted adverbials etc - I'm (clearly) not a grammar expert or fanatic and I'm sure I get a lot of things wrong. But (oops!) I think that understanding the difference between the subject and the object of a sentence is pretty basic. (My sense of usage/grammar comes largely from reading, and to some extent from having studied Latin later on.) I don't think that the theory should overwhelm the practice, but I know nothing about teaching English so I will keep quiet about it!

I am no expert either! I think it is fairly recently that the changes were made, so the young people who have learnt all this complex grammar probably haven’t emerged from the education system yet. To my mind making things too complex defeats the object as it becomes inaccessible to a lot of children. What we should be doing, as you say, is concentrating on functional skills to enable basic communication. Who knows; I may be proved wrong and we will see a generation with wonderful communication skills! 
I struggled enormously with Latin, I do think that was because I was taught instinctive rather than prescriptive grammar.

• Like 1

I’ve grown to like the occasional use of ‘And’ or ‘But’ at the start of a sentence as they can provide emphasis. The problem for me is where it becomes excessive and I’m afraid one or two journalist seem to start at least every other sentence with a conjunction, Laura Kuenssberg being a particularly enthusiastic user.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

I’ve grown to like the occasional use of ‘And’ or ‘But’ at the start of a sentence as they can provide emphasis. The problem for me is where it becomes excessive and I’m afraid one or two journalist seem to start at least every other sentence with a conjunction, Laura Kuenssberg being a particularly enthusiastic user.

I think it was the pet peeve of my primary teacher because I hear her voice whenever I see it!