Room 101

taxi4ballet

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I haven't dumped anything in here for a while, so: Vauxhall railway station (south London).  It's absolutely appallingly provided with information/laid out, and heaven help you if you don't know where you're going!

Here's another contribution: fake property price reductions.  So, your property isn't selling in this market: you "drop the price" by say £25K to "offers in excess of £xxxK".  Except that it turns out that "in excess of £xxxK" actually means "£xxxK + £15K", which is probably more than you would have got offered at your previous price!  Sneaky ... :( 

I booked a week off work so I could stay at home and do loads of much-needed jobs around the house and garden, only to be faced with a sweltering week and the two hottest July days in the UK since records began. Needless to say I've done practically nothing, and have been lolling about wishing I was back at work in my nice air-conditioned office.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Am I allowed to mention the B word on here? 

Bananas.  Or rather, banana skins.  There seems to have been a spate of them on the tube recently.  I don't know whether this is some new "game" being played out on social media, but I am fed up with finding them either on seats or on the air vents at the back of the seats. 

• 2 weeks later...

AAarghhh... !

After a very trying week, please can somebody stop the world so I can get off for a few days? Feeling rather wrung out at the moment.

Oh, and does anybody want three cats? Not my cats and not my problem, but has now been foisted on me to sort out.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Jane said:

Daddy long legs (crane flys) that fly around your face as soon as turn lights off at night. Last year invaded by ladybirds, this year it’s daddy long legs. 

Can I add those invisible gossamer threads strung across the garden path at face level - it's spider migration time again!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pups_mum said:

I felt like I was actually in Room 101 today. Being in an MRI scanner required to keep motionless for half an hour or so is bad enough as it is, but when they start to play Radio 2 over the headphones and there is no escape....😫

Oh no Pups, that must have been a nightmare!  

3 hours ago, Pups_mum said:

I felt like I was actually in Room 101 today. Being in an MRI scanner required to keep motionless for half an hour or so is bad enough as it is, but when they start to play Radio 2 over the headphones and there is no escape....😫

They didn’t give you a choice? 

9 hours ago, Jane said:

They didn’t give you a choice? 

No...I did gently complain afterwards. I've always been asked previously. It didn't enhance the experience.....I think I would have preferred my ear drums to be assaulted by the noise of the scanner.

2 hours ago, Pups_mum said:

No...I did gently complain afterwards. I've always been asked previously. It didn't enhance the experience.....I think I would have preferred my ear drums to be assaulted by the noise of the scanner.

I’ve been asked too previously. Something that annoyed me would make me tenser than I already am during the procedure. 
Had an angiogram recently where they put music on as I got on the table, they then gave me relaxants so I didn’t care what it was anyway! 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jane said:

I’ve been asked too previously. Something that annoyed me would make me tenser than I already am during the procedure. 
Had an angiogram recently where they put music on as I got on the table, they then gave me relaxants so I didn’t care what it was anyway! 

This is reminding me of having an anxiety attack in a yoga class (!) because the instructor ended the class by turning up the music really loudly and expecting us to relax while it was making the floor vibrate beneath us.  I know not all yoga classes are like that, but it's put me off ever going to one again, which, considering the reason I started going was to help with anxiety, is not at all what I had hoped for.

On a related note, I have just moved to a new office, within earshot of a loud amplified busker with limited repertoire.  I now know how murderous the ROH staff must feel about the sheng player in the Piazza.

• Like 1

Ive never heard of that before ....loud music ...in a yoga class! Usually it's absolute silence in the relaxation bit at the end and sometimes I can feel myself nodding off into la la land..! Please have another go ....I love my yoga class it's the perfect antidote to all the ballet type exercise ..... but I do a very slow one called scaravelli yoga which works a lot with the spine and breathing. I've never been to a yoga class with music....let alone in the relaxation bit 😩

Ive only had one MRI scan of the lung and neck area a couple of months ago ....and I hated it.....no time for music as I had to listen out for instructions through the headphones ( when to put arms up or down) and have an injection in the middle of it all. When they told me about this injection I thought one of the nurses was going to come over and give it to me but they said... oh no the machine gives it to you .....I thought ..help ..its like getting the Death Penalty ...being given a lethal injection by a machine ......especially as more so they started telling me all the reactions I might have!! I was so worried I was shaking at the end ....though to be fair it was freezing in the room. As it happened I had no reaction at all.

However it was a stroke of luck in the timing of this .....Though still haven't had the result....as the referral for it was for a very specific thing seen on a previous X-Ray( nothing serious as such)  and remembering this saved a possible problem occurring when I had the op,on my ankle at the beginning of August. 

Pups mum hope all is okay. At least my machine was shooting backwards and forwards all the time so not having to lie still in an enclosed space! 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, RuthE said:

On a related note, I have just moved to a new office, within earshot of a loud amplified busker with limited repertoire.  I now know how murderous the ROH staff must feel about the sheng player in the Piazza.

Oh dear.  I did notice one a while back who might be in your neck of the woods (can't remember exactly where he was now, and of course it depends whether you've moved far), so I do hope it's not him. 

I haven't moved far!  Just up the road.  Makes a change from overlooking Victoria Coach Station departure courtyard, with the constantly deafening "mating calls" of National Express coach horns... But moving again soon (this was a general office move, the next one will be a change of role) to somewhere which should prove much quieter.

I have two entries for Room 101 today.

The streets where I live seem to have an unusually high number of water leaks, and all the mains pipes really need completely replacing. But that isn't on the cards. Every few weeks there's another leak somewhere and they have to come out and repair it. Again. The roads hereabouts (and the footpaths and peoples' driveways and gardens) are pockmarked with umpteen repairs. I was really looking forward to a long soak in the bath this evening. But there's a burst water main up the road and we have no water. Get your act together Anglian Water and do something about it.

The second entry - well. I am utterly disgusted with the lowlife scum who broke into my local village hall the other night and trashed the place. They used crowbars to jemmy open every single door, cupboard and storage area in their hunt for stuff to nick, and they have caused a huge amount of damage. May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their armpits. B****rds

Edited by taxi4ballet
  • Like 2

On 04/10/2019 at 12:24, RuthE said:

I was so much enjoying being on the terrace on the first night of Manon- couldn't think what it was for a while, then realised he was having  a night off....Blissful peace ...

My feelings toward that 'performer' might stop short of murderous but are not kindly...

Must the buskers all be amplified?

On ‎04‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 09:06, Pups_mum said:

Just catching up with this thread. This reminded me of a few months ago when I was having a minor surgical procedure under local anaesthetic, and there was classical music on in the background. I made an approving remark about this, and the doctor asked if there was any piece of classical music I particularly liked. I thought he was just making conversation, so as a simple answer I said 'Swan Lake'. A minute later, Swan Lake music was echoing around the room!! I was so impressed, and it did help me relax. The doctor was very funny too - he said he was glad when it was over because it was all getting too tragic etc. But I was amazed! (This was in an NHS hospital so it wasn't a question of paying for personal treatment or anything like that.)

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Having posted my little triumph with administration of tablets to a cat, I'd like to put vet  consultations ito Room 101.  My cat had a sore 

paw (left front foot).  I told the vet who then proceeded to examine her eyes, teeth, temperature, heart beat and legs, putting each leg through a range of movements starting with the back two and finishing with the front left.  She then put the cat on the floor and tried to make her walk.  Lexi declined.

After an eternity of fiddling about with her paw there were antiseptic soaked swabs all over the place, a very distressed cat and a very frustrated owner.  The vet then took 20 minutes to research the treatment before sending us away with antibiotic tablets, Metacam (guaranteed diarrhoea in my experience), a bottle of Hibiscrub and some gauze swabs.  The vet was clearly far from well, coughing and spluttering during the 45-minute consultation.  I am now coughing and spluttering and feeling rotten, the cat seems fine.

5 hours ago, AnneMarriott said:

Having posted my little triumph with administration of tablets to a cat, I'd like to put vet  consultations ito Room 101.  My cat had a sore 

paw (left front foot).  I told the vet who then proceeded to examine her eyes, teeth, temperature, heart beat and legs, putting each leg through a range of movements starting with the back two and finishing with the front left.  She then put the cat on the floor and tried to make her walk.  Lexi declined.

After an eternity of fiddling about with her paw there were antiseptic soaked swabs all over the place, a very distressed cat and a very frustrated owner.  The vet then took 20 minutes to research the treatment before sending us away with antibiotic tablets, Metacam (guaranteed diarrhoea in my experience), a bottle of Hibiscrub and some gauze swabs.  The vet was clearly far from well, coughing and spluttering during the 45-minute consultation.  I am now coughing and spluttering and feeling rotten, the cat seems fine.

You have to give it to vets though at least they are thorough in their examinations. GPs on the other hand ...

How do people feel about other people talking over the top of them?  I boarded a train which began its journey at that particular station.  There was plenty of choice of seats, and I sat at one with the table, because I like to do a crossword puzzle or two on a long journey and find it easier to rest on a table.  Just before the doors shut.  2 couples and several children dashed on.  2 of the adults sat opposite me, the other two sat behind me.

The 4 adults were obviously all together, and  proceeded to have a very loud conversation, with me stuck in the middle of them.  In the meantime, the children amused themselves by jumping off the seats, thwacking the arm rests up and down, and running about.  At some point, in between the "lively" conversation, the man opposite me tuned in to the football, so I was treated to a running commentary on Arsenal's woeful performance.  Accompanied by lots of "F**king 'ell"

I couldn't concentrate on my crossword, and found that I was reading the same paragraph in my book over and over.  I found myself getting more and more irritated.  In the end, I gave up and sat with my eyes closed for the next hour and a half. 

Edited by Fonty

I've not actually experienced anything similar Fonty but on my last visit to London there were 2 young ladies in the carriage (not particularly close to me) who started playing inane pop music over a blue tooth speaker and singing along loudly.  No one else seemed bothered.  I played "in the Upper Room" as loud as I could get my phone speaker but they did not take the hint.  In the end I explored the other carriages on the (very busy) train and fortunately found another seat!  You have my sympathies.