Room 101

taxi4ballet

It has been going on for years already, affects mainly the Underground and bus station and is due for completion in 2018.  

Ugh, you mean we have another 5 years of this hell to live through yet? :(  It's just a nightmare trying to get anywhere around Victoria at the moment.  I was going to St. John's Smith Square some weeks ago, and decided to pick up the 507 bus (is that the right one?) partway down its route - just thought I'd walk to the next bus stop rather than go back to the bus terminus.  Bad mistake: I must have walked about half a mile before I found a bus stop that was actually working.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cyclists - again!  This time a 10 or 11 year old child on a small bike weaving all over the place followed by I presume his mother, although not sure as she was quite a distance from him.  Why was he weaving all over the place, because he was texting!!!  I'm afraid I didn't stop to remonstrate as suddenly an ambulance appeared and I wanted to get out of it's way - unbelievable!

Birmingham. And knives.

(Many apologies to everyone who lives there), but... we've been to Birmingham twice this year and both times there has been a stabbing.

The first was in January when we were caught in a jam in the city centre (caused by an investigation in the aftermath of a murder), and today another traffic jam practically outside the Hippodrome where the police had cordoned off a whole area because of a multiple stabbing last night.

Oh dear.

I may have to make this my last post on this subject otherwise people might think I have a grudge - yep cyclists again!  There was a race on last night so a few around.  Whilst overtaking one of them, according to non-dd as I had my eyes on the road, spat and hit my car with it!  Can't stand spitting anyway but could he not have done it the other way?   Will be fair there was a pavement the other side but there weren't any pedestrians, but maybe as he was racing he couldn't see that!

Cigarette smoke within five miles of me

Football

Lamb (as food, not the little pingy things themselves)

Cyclists when I'm driving

Drivers when I'm cycling

Ridiculously noisy motorbikes

Middle aged men in lycra (see cycling points above)

Flytippers ("crucifixion's too g-g-g-good for 'em")

• Like 1

adding an appendix "disreputable DVD sellers" as I'm in a bad mood this morning having had three bad DVD buying experiences in a row this week :angry: :

1. ordered the ROH version of Manon on eBay; an Aussie TV version in 4:3 turned up   2.  ordered Zakharova's Bayadere from an Amazon marketplace seller 'Marvelio'; rather than the German original pictured, a dodgy Argentinian copy arrives which has picture quality like an old VHS and laser printed artwork - clearly either an illegal fake or some cheapo sub-licensee  3.  ordered Divine Dancers; disc looked OK but vibrated in the player and the picture pixellated. defective and possible a fake.

previous experiences include a terrible fake copy of Zakharova's Giselle (eBay) and a BluRay of Flammes de Paris which ended up costing £13 more than advertised (Priceminister - dispatched from USA rather than France so got clobbered with customs fees, and they used a ridiculous off-market exchange rate).  the Priceminister complaints process was completely useless, so I will never use them again.

on the plus side, I've found Sainsburys Entertainment a good alternative site to Amazon for ballet blurays - their goods are always genuine and the prices are quite often significantly less.  downside is they only have 20 or so titles.

I once bought a Placido Domingo compilation CD from a reputable High Street supplier.  When we played it, it was obviously a bootleg that had been recorded at a concert.  The sound quality was awful and people around the  recorder were rustling sweet papers, coughing and talking!  I took it back and received an apology and refund! 

I had a similar experience when buying the dvd of Matthew Bourne's Nutcracker from someone on a well-known internet action site. it was advertised as 'used' and when I got it the cellophane was still on. When I played it the quality was really poor and I wondered if it was a copy.

I had a look at the seller's other items, and lo and behold, several other copies of the same dvd all 'used'.. and quite a lot of so-called used copies of other titles as well. 

Sharapova vs. Azarenka has to be the worst imaginable - they're virtual carbon copies of each other.  Oh well, that won't be happening this Wimbledon, anyway - one of the few benefits of Weird Wednesday.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Blummin' cyclists again!  The prom at Hall Road, Crosby has a line down the middle - one side for cyclists and one side for pedestrians.  This morning I was well in the middle of the pedestrian side when I noticed 3 cyclists riding abreast and heading towards me at a great speed of knots.  Cyclists are the first ones to moan at pedestrians who stray onto their side so I stood firm (well actually I had nowhere to go!) and was just missed.  I remonstrated and was told to "F*** Off" as the 2 faster ones were overtaking the slower one.  I'm afraid that I yelled after them that I hoped their wheels fell off!!

Driving home from the supermarket at lunchtime there was a cyclist ahead of me wobbling all over the road and who completely ignored a give way sign and rode across without even glancing in either direction.  As I finally managed to get past him I realised why - not only was he wearing headphones - he was texting as he was riding!

• Like 1

Am exhausted. Parents watching day! Not the specific event itself but the parents who talk loudly and incessantly throughout the class, allow toddlers to wonder around and who are constantly playing with phones....

Actually made a point of asking EVERYONE to be quiet at one point.  Bless the little 5 year old who said in a nice clear voice "but some of the grown ups are still talking!"  That did have the desired effect for a little while at least.

• Like 6

Has anyone else been suffering from an absolute plague of crane flies (daddy-long-legs) over the last couple of weeks? I don't think I've ever seen so many, all flapping about, flying at you and dropping their legs all over the place... ugh :blink:

And what are they doing hatching at this time of year anyway - they're supposed to be out around September-ish.

Horrible.

• Like 4

'...> and what are they [crane flies] doing hatching at this time of year anyway - they're supposed to be out around September-ish.<...'

Yes, well my Japanese Anenomes are not supposed to be out until 'around September' either, but they've been in bud for about  a fortnight already.

It's the end of the world, I tell you...we're all doomed, doomed!

• Like 6

I haven't seen many wasps this year (touch wood it stays that way).  I've seen lots of bees though, which is good!

Ah, but are they the right sort of bees?  I've seen loads of bumblebees, but not sure about honey bees. 

Even more mysterious than the sock that goes missing at some point between the washing and the drying is the sock which suddenly turns up months later - and we have a new washer. Maybe the new washer layed down the law and told the dryer there will be no more socknapping.

• Like 4

People who have bonfires in this weather!!!! There is a really strong smell of smoke when I open my windows and there has been for over 3 hours now and my house is at least 30 houses and the park away from the culprits.  So really unpleasant smell or a really hot house is the choice tonight for about half my village.  And yes it is definitely a garden bonfire.

• Like 1

I thought garden bonfires were illegal nowadays.

We have a smell of fires in our lounge - we think it is because the sun is so hot and it is heating up the chimney and thus the smell.  It's spoilt my lovely display in the fireplace as I've had to take the newspaper out I'd stuffed up the chimney to stop the soot dropping down (and the draught) and so no display at the moment just an empty grate :(  It is surprising how much soot does come down with the rain as there is some kind of cowl thing spinning round up there - not sure what it is, was all here when we moved in.  Perhaps I need to get the sweep in earlier this year?

I was wondering what the rules were about garden ones.....on the allotment there are all sorts of rules governing bonfires but wasn't sure what applies to gardens.

I suppose with the chimney sweep better check all is safe etc with the chimney.....how often do they have to be cleaned? Don't want the house catching fire in the winter!! :(

I have the chimney swept every year - some people have said they leave it for 2 years but as I'm not that au fait with this open fire lark I've had it done every year since we came here.  I usually leave it until later in the year as I like it done just before I start the fires again but it can get difficult to get a sweep - maybe he'll charge less if I get it done early :)  If I order enough bags of coal (over 11 I think), order an odd number of bags (don't ask me why, are they pulling my leg?) and have it delivered during June and July then I get it cheaper.  Problem is there is no room in the garage at the moment - not even for 11 bags of coal!

Don't start me on garages!! My partner is "sorting the garage out" at the mo as we have a large object arriving next week .....something with a name like band-saw....no idea what it is just that it is BIG. Anyway this means half the garage is now in the "spare/music/yoga/relax room ..... And no longer in the garage.....and will it ever get back there is my gripe. I suppose I can practice my bourrees round the boxes!!