Room 101

taxi4ballet

There is however a problem at Victoria station in that there are no litter bins as far as I can see!! I get fed up with having to bring rubbish back to Brighton to dispose of it!!

Still no need of the reaction of this man....chucking it around! And the abuse!! Looks like he had problems though.

So the policy of no litter bins at all on some major stations for room 101!

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There must be a way of designing them so it can be seen what's in them and then they are checked reasonably often. It would be easy still to leave a "suspicious package" on Victoria station....all sorts of nooks and crannies...so I'm not sure that the removal of ALL litter bins is actually saving us from that many bombs!! There are probably fairly regular checks one would hope on any unattended luggage etc left standing around so a check on perhaps one or two litter bins for our use could be made.

We once arrived back at Victoria on a Sunday morning with heavy suitcases and hand luggage.  I didn't see any way of successfully negotiating the staircase.  There was nothing breakable in the case and there was noone around so I let it go from the top to the bottom!  I can't believe, given that Victoria is a major hub, that the staircase issue hasn't been resolved.

I travel much lighter these days - usually hand luggage only!

Ooh, when is there going to be a revamp at Victoria? I didn't know there was going to be one!  I rather like Victoria apart from the lack of lift.  Marylebone is another nice station.  Only visited Paddington once when DD auditioning for Rambert.  Why is it on a first visit to a station you always end up having to hike to the furthest platform?  Barely got a chance to look around but did see a Paddington Bear in a display case as we rushed past.  Still haven't been to Kings Cross to see platform 9.3/4.  Apart from Euston not been in any of the other stations.

It has been going on for years already, affects mainly the Underground and bus station and is due for completion in 2018.  

The TfL website lists the improvements as:
A new underground North ticket hall at the junction of Bressenden Place and Victoria Street with an entrance at street level
Larger Victoria line ticket hall (South ticket hall)
Nine new escalators
A new interchange tunnel connecting the two ticket halls
New lifts providing step-free access between street, ticket hall and Victoria line platform levels
New lifts providing interchange between the Victoria line and District and Circle lines platforms
Improved access and new lifts between the National Rail and Tube platforms.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/projectsandschemes/2359.aspx

First the revamp is on right now at Victoria!! And all around the station too.

Both St.Pancras and Kings Cross station are really fabulous now......what a let down the Gare du Nord in Paris is .....especially the loos....after St Pancras now!! And very unfriendly to people with luggage as is the Metro in general!

London Bridge(taking forever) also undergoing revamp and so is Blackfriars!!

Euston which used to be ahead of the game is looking positively drab now....but it won't belong before London has some of the best stations in the world!

HOWEVER as this is Room 101 thread how about VERY LATE platform announces at stations,particularly Kings Cross, going into room 101!! I believe there is supposed to be some 10 min rule of notification but its really no joy with luggage having to run with 6mins to spare from one end of the station to the other!! Us oldies and Mothers with pushchairs get a particular hard time of it I feel!!!

• Like 1

Grand tier Left we almost posted simultaneously.....thanks your post about Victoria is very informative.....nice to know how it will be...can't wait....and Janet you will be getting your lifts!!

• Like 1

Although I welcome the new lifts at Victoria tube station, all the re-vamps in the world won't improve the capacity. Every morning they close the station several times due to overcrowding; you can be held outside the entrance when they close the gates and held in the booking hall when they close the barriers. When you finally make it to the platfforms you often have to let a couple of trains go before you can board and when you do you are so packed you sometimes can't get off at your stop before the doors close (and don't get me started on the queue for the lifts at Goodge Street).

I'm afraid I am pessimistic about the re vamp as the improvements to the bus station outside were a disgrace: whereas there used to be a roof right above the bus stands so that you could walk from bus to station under cover for most of the way, there is now only a inadequate cover above the stands and you get very wet now when it rains, especially when you're forced to queue.

Obviously I am totally oblivious to my surroundings!  Usually arrive and leave via platforms 15, 16, 17 and 18 and go directly to the Tube so not sure what happens elsewhere at Victoria apart from the absence of lifts!

Back to 101 and yet again it is cyclists.  One rule for them and one for us as again I watched a cyclist go across red traffic lights whilst I stopped.  He did look as he went but even so it made me so mad!

edited for typos - must get rid of these gel nails!!

Edited by porthesia

Don't start me on the subject of cyclists - again!  Yes they often ignore red traffic lights here - or bounce up on to the pavement and use the pedestrian lights if that suits their purpose - or come over the one-way railway bridge by us the wrong way at great speed - or don't ring their bells to warn you they are coming at you at great speed on the prom (assuming they have bells at all!)

My brother's friend failed his driving test in Cambridge, apparently for stopping in the middle of the street.  Why did her stop - because half way down a one way street he was met by about 15 cyclists coming the wrong way down the one way street - all together across all the road!!!

It has been going on for years already, affects mainly the Underground and bus station and is due for completion in 2018.  

Ugh, you mean we have another 5 years of this hell to live through yet? :(  It's just a nightmare trying to get anywhere around Victoria at the moment.  I was going to St. John's Smith Square some weeks ago, and decided to pick up the 507 bus (is that the right one?) partway down its route - just thought I'd walk to the next bus stop rather than go back to the bus terminus.  Bad mistake: I must have walked about half a mile before I found a bus stop that was actually working.

Cyclists - again!  This time a 10 or 11 year old child on a small bike weaving all over the place followed by I presume his mother, although not sure as she was quite a distance from him.  Why was he weaving all over the place, because he was texting!!!  I'm afraid I didn't stop to remonstrate as suddenly an ambulance appeared and I wanted to get out of it's way - unbelievable!

Birmingham. And knives.

(Many apologies to everyone who lives there), but... we've been to Birmingham twice this year and both times there has been a stabbing.

The first was in January when we were caught in a jam in the city centre (caused by an investigation in the aftermath of a murder), and today another traffic jam practically outside the Hippodrome where the police had cordoned off a whole area because of a multiple stabbing last night.

Oh dear.

I may have to make this my last post on this subject otherwise people might think I have a grudge - yep cyclists again!  There was a race on last night so a few around.  Whilst overtaking one of them, according to non-dd as I had my eyes on the road, spat and hit my car with it!  Can't stand spitting anyway but could he not have done it the other way?   Will be fair there was a pavement the other side but there weren't any pedestrians, but maybe as he was racing he couldn't see that!

Cigarette smoke within five miles of me

Football

Lamb (as food, not the little pingy things themselves)

Cyclists when I'm driving

Drivers when I'm cycling

Ridiculously noisy motorbikes

Middle aged men in lycra (see cycling points above)

Flytippers ("crucifixion's too g-g-g-good for 'em")

• Like 1

adding an appendix "disreputable DVD sellers" as I'm in a bad mood this morning having had three bad DVD buying experiences in a row this week :angry: :

1. ordered the ROH version of Manon on eBay; an Aussie TV version in 4:3 turned up   2.  ordered Zakharova's Bayadere from an Amazon marketplace seller 'Marvelio'; rather than the German original pictured, a dodgy Argentinian copy arrives which has picture quality like an old VHS and laser printed artwork - clearly either an illegal fake or some cheapo sub-licensee  3.  ordered Divine Dancers; disc looked OK but vibrated in the player and the picture pixellated. defective and possible a fake.

previous experiences include a terrible fake copy of Zakharova's Giselle (eBay) and a BluRay of Flammes de Paris which ended up costing £13 more than advertised (Priceminister - dispatched from USA rather than France so got clobbered with customs fees, and they used a ridiculous off-market exchange rate).  the Priceminister complaints process was completely useless, so I will never use them again.

on the plus side, I've found Sainsburys Entertainment a good alternative site to Amazon for ballet blurays - their goods are always genuine and the prices are quite often significantly less.  downside is they only have 20 or so titles.

I once bought a Placido Domingo compilation CD from a reputable High Street supplier.  When we played it, it was obviously a bootleg that had been recorded at a concert.  The sound quality was awful and people around the  recorder were rustling sweet papers, coughing and talking!  I took it back and received an apology and refund! 

I had a similar experience when buying the dvd of Matthew Bourne's Nutcracker from someone on a well-known internet action site. it was advertised as 'used' and when I got it the cellophane was still on. When I played it the quality was really poor and I wondered if it was a copy.

I had a look at the seller's other items, and lo and behold, several other copies of the same dvd all 'used'.. and quite a lot of so-called used copies of other titles as well. 

Sharapova vs. Azarenka has to be the worst imaginable - they're virtual carbon copies of each other.  Oh well, that won't be happening this Wimbledon, anyway - one of the few benefits of Weird Wednesday.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Blummin' cyclists again!  The prom at Hall Road, Crosby has a line down the middle - one side for cyclists and one side for pedestrians.  This morning I was well in the middle of the pedestrian side when I noticed 3 cyclists riding abreast and heading towards me at a great speed of knots.  Cyclists are the first ones to moan at pedestrians who stray onto their side so I stood firm (well actually I had nowhere to go!) and was just missed.  I remonstrated and was told to "F*** Off" as the 2 faster ones were overtaking the slower one.  I'm afraid that I yelled after them that I hoped their wheels fell off!!

Driving home from the supermarket at lunchtime there was a cyclist ahead of me wobbling all over the road and who completely ignored a give way sign and rode across without even glancing in either direction.  As I finally managed to get past him I realised why - not only was he wearing headphones - he was texting as he was riding!

• Like 1

Am exhausted. Parents watching day! Not the specific event itself but the parents who talk loudly and incessantly throughout the class, allow toddlers to wonder around and who are constantly playing with phones....

Actually made a point of asking EVERYONE to be quiet at one point.  Bless the little 5 year old who said in a nice clear voice "but some of the grown ups are still talking!"  That did have the desired effect for a little while at least.

• Like 6

Has anyone else been suffering from an absolute plague of crane flies (daddy-long-legs) over the last couple of weeks? I don't think I've ever seen so many, all flapping about, flying at you and dropping their legs all over the place... ugh :blink:

And what are they doing hatching at this time of year anyway - they're supposed to be out around September-ish.

Horrible.

• Like 4