Room 101

taxi4ballet

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These days you don't even get a spare. When I changed last year, mine came with that foam stuff. When I queried this, the salesman asked me how often I changed a tyre. A neighbour did one for me once but when I went to the garage to see if the puncture was repairable, they said the nuts couldn't be tightened tight enough by hand and re-did them for me.

Take care Taxi

When I bought my first car (from the same garage as my latest as it happens) the salesman told me just to ring whichever motoring organisation I belonged to. I would offer that advice to anyone!

An ex-colleague had a tyre blow out on the Thelwall viaduct once. Being scared of heights did not help. He limped on as far as he could and then tried to change the tyre. He said the scariest thing was feeling the viaduct sway...... Now that would be a serious oh heck moment for me.

Cyclists

The House of the Rising Sun

People who walk down the street texting and just assume that everyone else will walk around them

Ditto people wearing music headphones who cross the street without looking or hearing....we drivers are supposed to see them, react and avoid hitting them when they don't even bother to look before crossing

Litterbugs

• Like 4

Oooh what a great thread...where to start!!

Drivers who keep their fog lights on when it isn't foggy.....do they never wonder what that little light on the dashboard means????

Those who stand on the left on the Tube escalators. They should be barred from the network.

People on the train who think it is OK to use a mobile in a quiet carriage if they are "talking quietly". What part of "No Mobile Phones" do they not understand...

Parents letting their children run riot in public places and expecting us to be amused at the little darlings' antics....that's if they go as far as to notice of course.

Those who assume that "Please" and "Thank You" belong to a bygone era.

I am officially old and cranky.....

• Like 4

When I bought my first car (from the same garage as my latest as it happens) the salesman told me just to ring whichever motoring organisation I belonged to. I would offer that advice to anyone!

Good idea - if it happens when you're out and about, but this was outside the front door and we don't have home-start cover! Hubby cancelled it since we have a mechanic neighbour, but he was out...

• Like 1

Actually the one time a neighbour changed my tyre it was outside our house! But I was a bit worried when the garage I went to (which the neighbour did advise me to) was able to tighten the nuts so much more. I had visions of me driving down the M62 and noticing one of my wheels passing me (one wheel on my wagon.......)!

The word 'Respect', particularly when teamed with 'Rights'.

Those who somehow think that people have to 'earn their respect' before treating them with anything remotely resembling politeness and good manners.

Whatever happened to good old-fashioned courtesy and consideration for others?

• Like 2

The word 'Respect', particularly when teamed with 'Rights'.

I think for many people the word respect is now tied up with the word 'intimidation', or at least it is in my corner of south London.

• Like 2

People who walk down the street texting and just assume that everyone else will walk around them

Ditto people wearing music headphones who cross the street without looking or hearing....we drivers are supposed to see them, react and avoid hitting them when they don't even bother to look before crossing

Or for that matter are on the phone. The accident involving the woman who effectively walked under a bendybus because she was on the phone, I think it was, was not far from my old office. The poor driver ...

Those who stand on the left on the Tube escalators.

People on the train who think it is OK to use a mobile in a quiet carriage if they are "talking quietly". What part of "No Mobile Phones" do they not understand...

Those who assume that "Please" and "Thank You" belong to a bygone era.

All of those. I notice that Chiltern Trains actually includes talking, full stop, in things thou shalt not do in a Quiet Carriage. Unfortunately, they also tend to run 3-coach trains to and from Birmingham, and these get highly crowded, and it's really pretty impossible to expect everyone who's had to cram into the QC just to get on to be quiet :(

I think for many people the word respect is now tied up with the word 'intimidation', or at least it is in my corner of south London.

Unsurprisingly, mine too.

• Like 1

Cinemas! Normally very load and very cold. Thursday night still cold but the sound was at the level I would like it to be every time I visit .... except for this particular perfomance I would have appreciated just a tad louder. Led Zeppelin do sound better with the volume up just a bit

• Like 2

Local councils who put up helpful signs telling you that a certain road will be closed on a certain day between certain times. You remember this and take extra time to do a long detour, only to find that the road wan't closed at all. Then... they close the road the following week without warning, and you are running late and have to do the detour all over again :angry:

Cyclists who get in everyone's way by riding around in a big bunch on Sunday mornings (especially the ones clad in yellow jerseys, pretending to be in the Tour-de France. Who are they kidding?)

• Like 2

Agreed about misleading local council signs - and this also applies to national highway maintenance, too.

Hairdressers: too many sub-categories to list but sometimes culminating in the client slinking out, having cravenly left an unjustified tip, praying for rain so she can hide the unflattering result of her visit under an umbrella.

Doctors - or more specifically their appointment systems

• Like 1

I'm on my way Spanner ;)

Avocado

Paying £150 for flea spot on treatment for 3 months for 3 cats & 3 dogs...18 TINY pipettes of liquid - wish I'd invented those!

Daily Mail

Keith Lemon

Greying ballet tights

Intolerance of others

Tax

PPI claim phone calls

Re flea treatment for cats and dogs - go online and save a fortune!

• Like 3

I'm going to add two additional sources of irritation at supermarket shopping, both of which seem recent innovations:

taking up position in the checkout queue while various family members scuttle about doing the actual shopping

and

slamming a divider down on the checkout conveyor belt and unloading the trolley without letting the person in front finish unloading, being careful not to leave enough space or checking if it's OK.

• Like 3

I'm going to add two additional sources of irritation at supermarket shopping, both of which seem recent innovations:

taking up position in the checkout queue while various family members scuttle about doing the actual shopping

and

slamming a divider down on the checkout conveyor belt and unloading the trolley without letting the person in front finish unloading, being careful not to leave enough space or checking if it's OK.

We had a great one in Lidl a couple of weeks ago where the checkout assistant wouldn't push the dividers down the channel so about 80% of the conveyor belt was empty!

• Like 1

Another supermarket grouch: Finding a promisingly short checkout queue, only for the checkout person to bellow at you that the checkout is now closed, when a simple and clear 'checkout closed' sign on the conveyor belt would have saved him/her the trouble and you the irritation.

I guess the supermarkets have to cut corners somehow...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This one's still rankling quite a few days on: bus drivers who allow you to get on, then wait until you've found a seat and got yourself and your shopping nicely settled before calling you back because somehow they didn't actually register that they'd seen the bus pass you held in front of their nose when you first got on - particularly when they'd originally nodded to indicate that they *had* seen it :(

• Like 1

Our local newspaper the Biggleswade Chronicle.

When we are in the middle of one of the biggest stories to hit the district in decades - Madame Dorries and her Australian adventure - which has attracted national tv and newspaper coverage, the lead story on the front page today is:

'Supermarket fails in bid to extend hours'

There's a short article about her failure to attend the Remembrance Day service on page three, but other than that - nothing.

A remarkable feat of fence-sitting restraint by our local journalists!

• Like 3