Room 101

taxi4ballet

Wow just read about the wasp nest falling through the bedroom ceiling 😳 hope they weren’t in bed at the time. We reported a suspected wasp nest in the loft a few years back but as it was the beginning of September the council said not to worry they would all die soon!! And apparently they don’t go back to the exact same nest site. But I was still worried they might just come back and build in a slightly different place but they haven’t so far anyway! 

Regards poo bags we have to be careful to get our bin back up driveway on bin day if we leave it down the bottom end overnight we have been finding poo bags in the bin on several occasions. The bin wasn’t on the path well maybe partly but mostly on our driveway so not in the way or anything. We don’t think it’s anyone from our road but our road can be used as a cut through to get to the Downs st the top so 

a favourite doggy walk place. 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I just add all those (thousands of?) people who still don't understand the definition of wearing a face mask?!  It does not simply cover your chin; it does need to cover both your nose and your mouth (and go under your chin, ideally)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, alison said:

Can I just add all those (thousands of?) people who still don't understand the definition of wearing a face mask?!  It does not simply cover your chin; it does need to cover both your nose and your mouth (and go under your chin, ideally)

And can I add all those that think social distancing is a thing of the past. 

• Like 4

Those too ... :(

And, having just wasted well over an hour when I should have been working trying largely unsuccessfully to move money into and out of various online accounts, I'd also like to nominate all those people who seem to design internet banking to be as complicated as it can possibly be.  As a few examples, the bank/building society which:

- seems to have decided that everyone only uses their phone for online banking now, so insists that you download an app from the Google Play Store / App Store to operate the account, but didn't bother mentioning this originally before you decided to open the account.  If you want to operate it differently, you have to ring them up and ask them to send you some device or other.  That's ringing the phone line I already sat on hold twice last week for at least 20 minutes each time because their automatic system didn't send me the UserID within the 1 hour specified, or even 48 hours, come to that, and then a further delay while that arrives in the post ...

- (this mandatory payee identification thing is excellent, and I don't understand why on earth it's taken so long to implement it as an additional security measure - surely the first thing you should be checking is that the payee name and account holder match? - but) ... the upshot is that, for an account which feeds several of my other accounts at times, I now have myself listed as payee several times over, with no obvious way of being able to identify which account is which!  If I try and add something to the payee name to identify which account it is, I think that's likely to cause a conflict with the payee identification, and anyway this organisation barely gives me enough characters to write my first and last names, let alone anything else, so what on earth people with long or double-barrelled names are supposed to do I know not ...  I did eventually manage to do a test transfer to make sure that I had the account details correct before transferring anything larger.  That's into the account with the building society which ...

- in a praiseworthy attempt to keep customer data as secure as possible, demands so many different identifying pieces of information, none of which are held in the same place, that I can only access the account from home, because otherwise I'm likely to find I'm missing the account number/user ID/grid card/password hint/inside leg measurement or whatever else it is I need to log into the account online, so guess what I shall be doing this evening, all to make sure that £1 has been added to my account ;)

And they keep telling us how easy and convenient online banking is :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alison said:

Those too ... :(

And, having just wasted well over an hour when I should have been working trying largely unsuccessfully to move money into and out of various online accounts, I'd also like to nominate all those people who seem to design internet banking to be as complicated as it can possibly be.  As a few examples, the bank/building society which:

- seems to have decided that everyone only uses their phone for online banking now, so insists that you download an app from the Google Play Store / App Store to operate the account, but didn't bother mentioning this originally before you decided to open the account.  If you want to operate it differently, you have to ring them up and ask them to send you some device or other.  That's ringing the phone line I already sat on hold twice last week for at least 20 minutes each time because their automatic system didn't send me the UserID within the 1 hour specified, or even 48 hours, come to that, and then a further delay while that arrives in the post ...

- (this mandatory payee identification thing is excellent, and I don't understand why on earth it's taken so long to implement it as an additional security measure - surely the first thing you should be checking is that the payee name and account holder match? - but) ... the upshot is that, for an account which feeds several of my other accounts at times, I now have myself listed as payee several times over, with no obvious way of being able to identify which account is which!  If I try and add something to the payee name to identify which account it is, I think that's likely to cause a conflict with the payee identification, and anyway this organisation barely gives me enough characters to write my first and last names, let alone anything else, so what on earth people with long or double-barrelled names are supposed to do I know not ...  I did eventually manage to do a test transfer to make sure that I had the account details correct before transferring anything larger.  That's into the account with the building society which ...

- in a praiseworthy attempt to keep customer data as secure as possible, demands so many different identifying pieces of information, none of which are held in the same place, that I can only access the account from home, because otherwise I'm likely to find I'm missing the account number/user ID/grid card/password hint/inside leg measurement or whatever else it is I need to log into the account online, so guess what I shall be doing this evening, all to make sure that £1 has been added to my account ;)

And they keep telling us how easy and convenient online banking is :D

And all of that is precisely why I don't use online banking!

Flies.

Those big black/green buzzy ones - as soon as I open the back door a crack, or a window, its as if they are queuing up to come inside, where they frantically buzz around bumping into things - everything apart from the way out....

• Like 3

2 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

Flies.

Those big black/green buzzy ones - as soon as I open the back door a crack, or a window, its as if they are queuing up to come inside, where they frantically buzz around bumping into things - everything apart from the way out....

I put the farmers in room 101 who move pig poo up and down the road all day in this heat encouraging the flies. I’m sure one tractor drives it from A to B and another from B to A. 

• Like 3

Weather forecasts that get it very wrong.  We had our outdoor mosaic workshop cancelled today because the forecast was for rain and thunder all day and we would have been sitting on metal chairs under a metal framed gazebo.  The sun has been cracking the flags all day so far!

• Like 3

Vets - and not for the first time.  I recently had my cat's blood and urine tested because of excessive drinking and weight loss.  Because the results revealed nothing untoward, I was persuaded to agree to a heart scan and blood pressure measurement because of an existing heart murmur.  Well I claimed on the insurance for the first set of investigations but the vet has seen fit to link the two sets of investigations together for insurance purposes under the general heading of "heart murmur".  Needless to say anything connected to heart murmur is excluded from our insurance policy because it was an existing condition when we rescued the cat in the first place.  So I claimed a modest amount for investigations that were (as far as I know) unrelated to the heart murmur,  but the vet has apparently submitted two claims for the same investigations at the same cost with two different reference numbers.  When I rang the practice to ask for clarification I was told that the vet was away so I would need to discuss it with her next week.   I only hope my cat doesn't have an accident and break a leg - doubtless the vet will claim that the accident only occurred because the heart murmur slowed down her reflexes.  Not happy!

11 hours ago, 2dancersmum said:

I'm going to throw in inconsiderate people who light bonfires when its this hot - horrible smell when you open the windows but you need them open evenings and early mornings to get some cooler air in

As a vegetarian I find neighbours' barbecues just as bad!

BBQs I find better as the smell tends to be short lived and during the day time - but a strong smell of  smoke at 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 pm and later is horrific. Last night it was not smoke that woke me but voices with an extremely loud c0nversation between two men that went on from 2 to 3 am - should be said , I live on the edge of a village and it was not near neighbours or any of the eldery who live inbetween us and the main part of the village. From what they said I think they were in a hot tub - I think half the village must know their opinions on bald men now!

On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 13:09, zxDaveM said:

Flies.

Not to mention the manic moths which insist on buzzing me the minute I walk into the room, or fluttering madly round the place.  Usually until they suddenly drop into the washing-up water while I'm washing up :( 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/08/2020 at 13:43, alison said:

And I now have to add the bank where I opened an online ISA because it has (comparatively) excellent rates and accepts transfers in from my ISA which is currently paying 0.25% :( , because it doesn't appear to tell you anywhere, or make it obvious, how you set up a transfer-in (I know you have to do those via the bank you're transferring into, not the one you're transferring from).  More hassle as I wait potentially up to 3 working days for a reply to my secure message ...

Plus the building society which, like every other institution where I've ever opened an online account, sent me what I thought was my new account details by email.  Except they weren't - they were its account details, which I have to use for setting up payments-in, quoting my account no. as a reference.  Having not been informed of the account details when I set it up, I only realised the discrepancy when I logged into my account and thought the account no. looked wrong!  So the little test sum I transferred over to make sure everything was set up properly has probably gone missing.  Let that be a lesson - if you're setting up a new payment, just transfer over £1 or something first and wait for confirmation that that's arrived in the right place before you send any larger amount!

People who wear masks on their chins and take them off to chat to people and people who wear them and think it means they can move as close to others as they like. My niece has found the same thing where she lives too. You would think this wretched epidemic was over or had never happened the way some behave! 

• Like 2

I think it depends where it is. If it’s on public transport it’s more of a concern as the person might be on the seat behind you and if non mask wearing and talking  for any length of time especially if 20 mins plus on a journey that could be of some concern. 
If however you are briefly passing somebody in a shop or in the street who is doing this it’s very unlikely they will pass any virus on if they had it. 
Sometimes in shops if I’m trying to read labels and have to put glasses on to do so I have to pull mask down below nose briefly as glasses get steamed up and none of the usual suggestions put forward to remedy this work...or haven’t so far. 
I think it has to be remembered that it takes 15-20 mins minimum ( can be more) for somebody to pass on the virus to you and only if very closely in your company....that’s why friends and family are the most likely to pass on if you are not careful enough etc though of course this is a big ask within private households I’m certainly not keeping 2 metres from my partner!! 
It’s unlikely while out shopping to be honest but I would say something to somebody if standing in a queue in a shop where social distancing has been dropped ( some are still very good with marks still on floor etc) if not wearing mask properly because in places like Tesco queue could well be 15 mins or so. 

It’s a lot easier for people who travel to shops in cars ( maskless) and then put on for shops ...some people may have 30-60 min journey on public transport first before get to shops and then back home again so wearing mask for a lot longer than others. 
I only wear as little as have to I take off as soon as outside of a shop and carry by ear strings ( not a chin wearer as it’s too irritating on the skin) then put on again next time I need to. I’m never worried just passing people in the street though. 

4 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I think it has to be remembered that it takes 15-20 mins minimum ( can be more) for somebody to pass on the virus to you and only if very closely in your company....

What is this based on?

1 hour ago, Fiz said:

People who wear masks on their chins and take them off to chat to people and people who wear them and think it means they can move as close to others as they like. My niece has found the same thing where she lives too. You would think this wretched epidemic was over or had never happened the way some behave! 

You beat me to the post Fiz. Just arrived back from Sainsbury's and there were quite a few with masks on just below their noses. I really don't understand why, if people are able to wear a mask, they can't wear it properly. Then there were others wearing them correctly who pulled them onto their chins to have a conversation with someone. Surely it's not too onerous for people, with the exception of those who have a valid disability which prevents them from wearing a mask, to wear one for the relatively short amount of time needed to do their shopping. The majority of the customers would have travelled by car, (the area I live in in the South West has poor public transport links and is very expensive) so masks/coverings are only needed in store. My elder daughter, a paediatric nurse, wears a mask (several) for her entire 12 hour shifts, along with plastic aprons and gloves on a very hot ward. Now that must be uncomfortable. 

• Like 3

I've been thinking the same, after my last Sainsbury visit. I walk to the store, and pop my mask on before entering. I know I don't have the virus, as I've barely interracted with anyone since mid-March, barely leaving the house (except for the Sainsbury visits and a few long walks a week) - just feel its civic unity to wear one, and so encourage those that MAY have to virus, to do the courteous thing as well.

Whilst roaming the aisles - the majority, say about 2/3rds, wearing masks properly. Lots of people with no mask - may have valid reason, or just be a knob. Many people with mask over mouth, but not over nose - just stupidity. And the worst, those warming their chin/neck area - they might as well not wear it and have done with it. Saw a couple of the cashiers in the latter category. Don't envy them I can't deny, having that on all shift. Perhaps the supermarkets could provide them with comfortable ones instead

• Like 3

It’s based on numerous scientific articles have read over the past few months perhaps you can look it up too? 
It is a consensus of what most virologists are saying though you won’t find them ALL in agreement!! That to get enough viral load you have to be in somebody’s company for at least 15-20 mins which is not that long in fact! It’s generally agreed by them that if you just pass somebody briefly unless you were unfortunate enough for them to sneeze or cough all over you it’s highly unlikely you would pick it up. 

In some narrower isles in supermarkets it’s very difficult not to walk down it without passing somebody a bit close. The other day I just wanted one thing from an aisle as we were finishing off the shopping I could see it but there was a lady there in a dilly dolly daydream and I had to hover around waiting for her to make up her mind ( in normal times I can be a bit like this on occasions but am super aware at moment not to linger unnecessarily) just so I didn’t have to go too close to get my item. If people are spending ages and ages in isles then sooner or later someone is going to end up reaching past you to get on with their shopping ....it’s why we are all wearing masks isn’t it? So that if it’s difficult to keep the 2 metre distance all the time the masks if all wear them are to protect everybody. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LinMM said:

It’s based on numerous scientific articles have read over the past few months perhaps you can look it up too? 
It is a consensus of what most virologists are saying though you won’t find them ALL in agreement!! That to get enough viral load you have to be in somebody’s company for at least 15-20 mins which is not that long in fact! It’s generally agreed by them that if you just pass somebody briefly unless you were unfortunate enough for them to sneeze or cough all over you it’s highly unlikely you would pick it up. 

I have tried to look it up. I can't find it. 

Edited by oncnp

Close contact for potentially being infected by someone with COVID includes:

close face to face contact (under 1 metre) for any length of time – including talking to them or coughing on them

being within 1 to 2 metres of each other for more than 15 minutes – including travelling in a small vehicle

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/self-isolation-and-treatment/when-to-self-isolate-and-what-to-do/

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Close contact for potentially being infected by someone with COVID includes:

close face to face contact (under 1 metre) for any length of time – including talking to them or coughing on them

being within 1 to 2 metres of each other for more than 15 minutes – including travelling in a small vehicle

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/self-isolation-and-treatment/when-to-self-isolate-and-what-to-do/

Thanks. Saw that. Doesn't address the statement.  Let's agree to disagree. 

Sorry I couldn’t post a reply because my previous post was in the reply box and the only way I could get rid of it was by submitting post again perhaps moderators can get rid of repeated post I have no idea why a post I’ve already submitted should remain in the reply box!! 

Anyway the WHO ...just one source ...stated in July and again in August that the ways of transmitting to others apart from picking up from surfaces somebody may have coughed or sneezed on are by direct coughing and sneezing on a person hence the 2 metre rule etc but also from being in somebody’s company if they are just talking and you are within 2 metre distance and especially in a small confined space..like lifts, cars, public transport if no windows open basements without air flow, etc etc The droplets from talking can hang around for about 15 mins and the smaller and less well ventilated the space the more they can hang around. 
But the viral load is crucial too. That’s why it’s reported only today that where viral loads are really high as in hospitals etc ( though not so much right now) staff still catch it even with correct PPE!! 
If somebody actually  has the virus the longer you spend in their company ...if within the 2 metre distance ..the more likely you will become ill too as your viral load will be higher. That’s why it spreads quickly within families. 

I think what they are saying is if you stopped to speak very briefly to someone who had the virus they would most likely not pass on enough viral load from just talking if only for a few mins but if you stayed chatting for 15 mins or longer they might well pass on  enough viral load for you to catch it. 
To be on the safe side of course don’t talk to anyone ...within the 2 metre distance... ...outside your own bubble!! 

2 hours ago, LinMM said:

Sorry I couldn’t post a reply because my previous post was in the reply box and the only way I could get rid of it was by submitting post again perhaps moderators can get rid of repeated post I have no idea why a post I’ve already submitted should remain in the reply box!! 

It does happen from time to time, no idea why.  But there should be a "Clear editor" option - or if there isn't, just hold down Ctrl+A to select all the text, and then delete it.

• Like 2