RB New Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui (Medusa) RB mixed bill

I had a look to see if there was already a thread on the RB's new Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui ballet, and all I could find was a remark from Bluebird in the Spring Season Casting thread, asking if anyone knew any more about it yet.

I wanted to report that the countertenor Tim Mead mentioned on Twitter last week that he will be singing in it, and that the score is music by Purcell.

(Edited so that when the title of this thread inevitably gets edited later on because the ballet has been named, my post makes sense out of context!)

Edited by RuthE
  • Like 6

• 5 weeks later...

I've just noticed that we now have a title: https://www.roh.org.uk/productions/medusa-by-sidi-larbi-cherkaoui (I don't think it's been posted here yet.)

The page contains the following guidance: "Please note the piece contains moderate, stylised physical threat and discreet sex references. It is not generally suitable for children under the age of 12." I'm not sure if this is new; I don't recall receiving an email about it such as the Opera has been known to send.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/04/2019 at 22:19, Vanartus said:

I note they still haven’t named the second cast.

[MODS...is it possible to change the title of this thread now we know the ballet's name?]

Casting for "Medusa" is now here https://www.roh.org.uk/productions/medusa-by-sidi-larbi-cherkaoui

Other than the Greek myth, do we have any clues yet as to what form the ballet will take?

On the face of it, the two ladies chosen to play Medusa, Ms Takada and Ms Osipova, present quite a contrast in potential interpretations!

Hair styling  should be interesting...

caravaggio-medusa.jpg

• Like 1

Warning just issued via email:

During the rehearsal process, we have re-evaluated Medusa as more suitable for a 12+ audience. The ballet is a stylised dance version of the Greek mythology theme of Medusa, containing moderate stylised physical threat and discreet sex references.

8 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Warning just issued via email:

During the rehearsal process, we have re-evaluated Medusa as more suitable for a 12+ audience. The ballet is a stylised dance version of the Greek mythology theme of Medusa, containing moderate stylised physical threat and discreet sex references.

but hopefully no actual decapitation...

• Like 4

When I heard that the ballet was called Medusa, my first thought - in the knowledge that there is vocal music by Purcell involved - was the reference to a different snake-haired figure in "Music for a While".  I suppose I'll find out soon enough if I'm onto something.

Music for a while
Shall all your cares beguile.
Wond'ring how your pains were eas'd
And disdaining to be pleas'd
Till Alecto free the dead
From their eternal bands,
Till the snakes drop from her head,
And the whip from out her hands.

Edited by RuthE
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • alison changed the title to RB New Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui RB mixed bill

Not worth starting a new thread for this, so I thought I'd edit the title :)  Have there been any indications anywhere of the new Jasper Conran designs for Within the Golden Hour? (she says, thinking longingly of his tutus for Tombeaux).

6 minutes ago, alison said:

Not worth starting a new thread for this, so I thought I'd edit the title :)  Have there been any indications anywhere of the new Jasper Conran designs for Within the Golden Hour? (she says, thinking longingly of his tutus for Tombeaux).

The DanceTabs article stresses that the designs are strictly under wraps, so I doubt it.

The reminder that Jasper Conran will be producing these costumes has made up my mind about going - I had been thinking about selling my ticket. I too have high hopes!

• Sim changed the title to RB New Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui (Medusa) RB mixed bill

Those sketches are probably first stage, general idea/concept, not the actual finished designs.

Within the Golden Hour is one of my favourite ballets but I’ve never liked the costumes, so I look forward to seeing Conran’s creations on Wednesday. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JaneWindsor said:

I saw this yesterday and the costumes are amazing. They do float and shimmer like the drawings.

the women’s are beautiful and the men’s look as if they are part of their skin .

I also saw the rehearsal yesterday and I felt the new costumes for Golden Hour were pretty but they look a bit too "42nd Street", at times the ladies' costumes distract from the lines created by the body (and also interfere with movement) and overall they lessen the elements of "fun" within the piece.  Each to their own!

Earlier today I checked tomorrow's casting and all was normal, now Yasmine Naghdi is in the first ballet, and Natalia Osipova and Matthew Ball in Medusa, I was looking forward to seeing Akane Takada and Marcelino Sambe?

Takada's making her debut in Medusa tomorrow - could that be why there's been a change?   (If so, I'm guessing there might be a switcharound of casts for all the Golden Hour performances).  Or conceivably she's been taken out of Golden Hour completely to concentrate on Medusa?  What does the casting for the others say?

1 hour ago, Beryl H said:

Earlier today I checked tomorrow's casting and all was normal, now Yasmine Naghdi is in the first ballet, and Natalia Osipova and Matthew Ball in Medusa, I was looking forward to seeing Akane Takada and Marcelino Sambe?

Sambe is still there in Flight Pattern. Let's hope Akane is OK  for the later performances.....