Yasmine Naghdi to guest with SFB as Aurora ...

They are so lucky .... but then so is she .... She gets the magnificent Joseph Walsh as her prince .... Would LOVE to see this ...

Wednesday, March 13, 2019 – 7:30 pm

Composer: Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky
Choreography: Helgi Tomasson after Marius Petipa
Conductor: Martin West

Aurora: Yasmine Naghdi
Prince Desiré: Joseph Walsh
Lilac Fairy: Koto Ishihara
Bluebird: Cavan Conley
Enchanted Princess: Julia Rowe

Principal ballerina Yasmine Naghdi, The Royal Ballet, London, is guesting with San Francisco Ballet.

• Like 8

No Naghdi doesn't have much to do in London right now. Her next Kitri is a month away on 3rd April. 

Thereafter she's dancing the Opening Night of Firebird on 4th June and another one (plus few Symphony in C's), followed by 3 R&J's in June. Wouldn't be surprised if she goes guesting again with another company in May...

12 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

I suspect this may be in exchange for SFB's Wei Wang as Frankenstein's Creature with the RB.  

I don't think it has anything to do with that Bruce, that's coincidence if you ask me (because Bracewell, Corrales,... are injured the RB needed a replacement so they took SFB's Wang who already danced the role when Scarlet's Frankenstein was performed in San Francisco).

Naghdi has nothing to do at the ROH for a month. Good for her she takes this opportunity to go guesting with other companies whilst she has big performance gaps. 

9 hours ago, capybara said:

Thrilled about this. Another international British Ballerina.

Think Capybara you have to add Anna Rose O'Sullivan to this category.  Anyone who witnessed her performances at City Center in NYC last year will have known this.  She was the 'darling of the day'.  No question.  It was, if you will, a coming of a different age.  I was so glad I was able to attend all of her and Sambe's performances there.  It was a rich privilege.  You could hear her name being mentioned in the lobby and I now know NYC balletomanes who have travelled across the ocean to specifically see her performances.  Of one thing I'm confident: the next time the RB is in NYC the mention of 'O'Sullivan' alone will sell tickets.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 5

Please, dear Capybara, don't take it personally ... It's merely a turn of I think a fairly prevalent Latinate phrase  ... and I simply wanted to ensure she was high up on - and certainly not forgotten from - that rightfully esteemed list.  All's well :) Promise.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Yasmine Naghdi to guest with SFB as Aurora ...
15 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

Please, dear Capybara, don't take it personally ... It's merely a turn of I think a fairly prevalent Latinate phrase  ... and I simply wanted to ensure she was high up on - and certainly not forgotten from - that rightfully esteemed list.  All's well :) Promise.  

Yes Bruce, sure, I have no doubt O'Sullivan was amazing at the CC gala but reference here was made to British International ballerinas of Principal status :) 

...and another one (posted by Joseph Walsh) showing Helgi Thomasson rehearsing Joseph Walsh and Yasmine Naghdi.  

The SFBallet also interview their dancers before the start of a performance.

On Opening Night Yasmine will be interviewed in front of the San Francisco audience. https://www.sfballet.org/explore/meet-the-artist

Oh if only SF wasn't so far away :(... I would love to see Helgi Thomasson's "Sleeping Beauty".

Looking forward to their London visit end of May, they are a great company. I very much enjoyed watching the SFB when they last performed at Sadler's Wells.

• Like 7

Thank you for this link Odyssey! Great to be able to read the reaction of the SF audience. 

Sounds like Yasmine was a great success last night and impressed the SF audience who gave her and Joseph Walsh a standing ovation. Not surprised to read: "...she brought the house down with her Rose Adagio..." and "...a Gold Standard Rose Adagio.."

Edited by Xandra Newman
typo
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, Xandra Newman said:

Sounds like Yasmine was a great success last night and impressed the SF audience who gave her and Joseph Walsh a standing ovation. Not surprised to read: "...she brought the house down with her Rose Adagio..." and "...a Gold Standard Rose Adagio.."

Great to read all the 'positives'. But I do wish that some posters on that US website would find it in themselves to set any small 'issues' within a performance in the context of the whole. 

• Like 2

Yes, why....? 

I have now read all the SFB/SB comments from the beginning and some SFB fans were not very happy that the Director of SFB had invited Naghdi as a Guest to dance with Walsh in his SB. They felt she deprived some the SFB soloists of an opportunity to have a chance to dance Aurora. 

Ballet fans seem to be a hard-to-please bunch :)

I think the majority of the SFB fans must have been very pleased to be able to see their Principal Joseph Walsh dance his debut as the Prince, thanks to Yasmine Naghdi flying over and stepping in, learning Helgi Thomasson's "Sleeping Beauty" at short notice. She enabled Walsh to dance his debut and they had the extra bonus of seeing Naghdi dance!.

• Like 2

Yes, and it is a very impressive quality to possess. When I met Yasmine Naghdi by the Stage Door after her Saturday evening debut as Kitri she told me she was due to fly out to San Francisco the next morning and she had just under a week to learn the new Sleeping Beauty version and with a new partner. Hats off to her as this has often happened throughout her career. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Xandra Newman said:

Ballet fans seem to be a hard-to-please bunch :)

I think the majority of the SFB fans must have been very pleased to be able to see their Principal Joseph Walsh dance his debut as the Prince, thanks to Yasmine Naghdi flying over and stepping in, learning Helgi Thomasson's "Sleeping Beauty" at short notice. She enabled Walsh to dance his debut and they had the extra bonus of seeing Naghdi dance!.

Sounds like a win-win situation to me!