Press Release: English National Ballet's Cinderella in-the-round at the Royal Albert Hall

TUFTVEVSIExPR08uanBn
English National Ballet 
Cinderella in-the-round 

Royal Albert Hall 
Thursday 6 – Sunday 16 June 2019 
Tickets: 
ballet.org.uk/cinderella / royalalberthall.com/cinderella / 0845 401 5045

English National Ballet will perform a new in-the-round version of multi-award-winning choreographer, Christopher Wheeldon’s, Cinderella, at the Royal Albert Hall from 06-16 June 2019. 

Co-produced by English National Ballet and the Royal Albert Hall, Wheeldon’s inventive production features over 90 dancers and combines magnificent sets and costumes, theatrical surprises, and lively choreography set to Prokofiev’s famous score performed by English National Ballet Philharmonic, in what promises to be the ballet spectacular of 2019.

Tamara Rojo, English National Ballet’s Artistic Director said: “I’m so thrilled that Christopher is re-staging his magical Cinderella for English National Ballet. I can’t wait to see this production take shape in the magnificent space of the Royal Albert Hall, a venue we are always so pleased to return to.”

Lucy Noble, Artistic and Commercial Director for the Royal Albert Hall, said: “Nothing can compare to the epic spectacle of a ballet at the Royal Albert Hall, and this extraordinary re-staging of Cinderella will bring the immortal story to life on a grand scale. We’re thrilled to be working once more with English National Ballet and can’t wait to see what Christopher does with the world’s most famous stage.”

Working from the darkly intriguing Brothers Grimm version of the story, Wheeldon originally created Cinderella to great acclaim for Dutch National Ballet and San Francisco Ballet: he and his creative team now reunite for the re-staging of this sparkling ballet. The production includes striking set design by Julian Crouch – founder of the influential theatre company, Improbable – puppetry from Basil Twist (whose credits include Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) and projection from Daniel Brodie.

English National Ballet has presented grand-scale in-the-round productions at the Royal Albert Hall since 1997, including Swan Lake – with its record-breaking 60 swans – and re-workings of Romeo & Juliet and Sleeping Beauty. 

-ENDS-

Listings:

English National Ballet
Cinderella in-the-round
Royal Albert Hall 

Thursday 6 June – Sunday 16 June 2019
ballet.org.uk/cinderella / royalalberthall.com/cinderella 

Credits: 
Choreography: Christopher Wheeldon
Music: Sergei Prokofiev
Libretto: Craig Lucas
Design: Julian Crouch
Lighting design: Natasha Katz
Puppetry design: Basil Twist
Projection design: Daniel Brodie 

Notes to Editors

About English National Ballet 
English National Ballet has a long and distinguished history. Founded in 1950 as London Festival Ballet by the great English Dancers Alicia Markova and Anton Dolin, it has played a major role in the growth and history of ballet in the UK. Today, English National Ballet is renowned for taking world-class ballet to the widest possible audience through its national and international tour programme, offsite performances at festivals including Glastonbury and Latitude, its distinguished orchestra English National Ballet Philharmonic, and being a UK leader in creative learning and engagement practice and delivery, building innovative partnerships to deliver flagship programmes such as English National Ballet’s Dance for Parkinson’s. Under the artistic directorship of Tamara Rojo, English National Ballet has gained new acclaim as it introduces innovative new works to the Company’s repertoire while continuing to honour and reinvigorate traditional ballet.
ballet.org.uk 

About the Royal Albert Hall 
The Royal Albert Hall is the world’s most famous stage. Over the past 148 years, it has hosted everyone from Albert Einstein to Arctic Monkeys, The Beatles to Beyoncé, Churchill to Chvrches (we could go on). Last year, its breath-taking auditorium presented 401 events by the world’s greatest performers – taking in rock, pop and classical music, theatre, dance, films, Cirque du Soleil and even tennis – with the magical setting and inspired artists creating amazing memories for audiences. 

Opened in 1871 to fulfil Prince Albert’s vision of a central hall to promote the arts and sciences, the Hall is a registered charity that remains true to his founding ambitions while looking to the future. With 1.8million visitors a year, ‘the nation’s village hall’ is the world’s busiest venue, while its 1,000 events in secondary spaces help to welcome a young, diverse audience to the Hall. Research conducted by Populus in 2018 found that the Hall was the most respected venue in its field, with members of the public regarding it as more special and yet less elitist than any comparable venue. 

Its Education & Outreach programme reaches more than 200,000 participants each year, working with schools, young people and the community, as well as other charities such as Music for Youth, as part of its extensive public benefit remit. It creates memories, changes lives and provides inspiration through music for all, regardless of age or background.
royalalberthall.com

1 hour ago, zxDaveM said:

talk about clashing - with the visit of San Francisco Ballet at Sadlers Wells, the RB's Firebird mixed and R&J programmes at ROH, not forgetting Ballet Black in the Linbury.

Madness!!

Or the opposite, for those who travel long distances to watch ballet. 

• Like 4

I'm hoping to see this but I can't say the mention of puppetry is encouraging. Also, no mention of casting. Does anyone know how far in advance ENB usually announce casting? I'd like to try to see some of the dancers I was impressed by in Manon.

4 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

last time I checked, you could still only watch one show at a time

But you can line them up more efficiently! My plan, if I can get the tickets, is to see the Firebird triple and SFB programme D on Friday 7th then SFB programme C and the Fonteyn gala on Saturday 8th. If the Cinderella interested me I'd add that on on the Thursday evening or Sunday afternoon.

The Saturday before I'll be at the R&J matinee and SFB programme B, with probably SFB programme A on the Sunday afternoon.

We out-of-towners get quite adept at looking for these opportunities, with travel being the major outlay.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

The latest press release from ENB:

TUFTVEVSIExPR08uanBn
English National Ballet 
Cinderella in-the-round 
Royal Albert Hall 
Thursday 6 – Sunday 16 June 2019 
Tickets: 
ballet.org.uk/cinderella / royalalberthall.com/cinderella / 0845 401 5045

This summer, English National Ballet will perform a new in-the-round version of multi award winning choreographer, Christopher Wheeldon’s, Cinderella, at the Royal Albert Hall (06-16 June 2019).

RU5CX0NpbmRlcmVsbGEgYnkgSmFzb24gQmVsbCB2Ny5qcGc=
Emma Hawes and Francesco Gabriele Frola © Jason Bell. Art Direction and Design Charlotte Wilkinson Studio.

Co-produced by English National Ballet and the Royal Albert Hall, Wheeldon’s inventive production features over 90 dancers and combines magnificent sets and costumes, theatrical surprises, and lively choreography set to Prokofiev’s famous score performed by English National Ballet Philharmonic, in what promises to be the ballet spectacular of 2019.

Working from the darkly intriguing Brothers Grimm version of the story, Wheeldon originally created Cinderella to great acclaim for Dutch National Ballet and San Francisco Ballet: he and his creative team now reunite for the re-staging of this sparkling ballet. The production includes striking set design by Julian Crouch – founder of the influential theatre company, Improbable – puppetry from Basil Twist (whose credits include Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) and projection from Daniel Brodie.

English National Ballet has presented grand-scale in-the-round productions at the Royal Albert Hall since 1997, including Swan Lake – with its record-breaking 60 swans – and re-workings of Romeo & Juliet and Sleeping Beauty. 

-ENDS-

Listings:

English National Ballet
Cinderella in-the-round
Royal Albert Hall 

Thursday 6 June – Sunday 16 June 2019
Tickets from £15
ballet.org.uk/cinderella / royalalberthall.com/cinderella 

Credits: 
Choreography: Christopher Wheeldon
Music: Sergei Prokofiev
Libretto: Craig Lucas
Design: Julian Crouch
Lighting design: Natasha Katz
Puppetry design: Basil Twist
Projection design: Daniel Brodie 

B32$NIRA3COHVZY5UN4Q5JHXJIPJSI======

16 minutes ago, SPD444 said:

Following a tweet from me ENB replied that they hoped to announce casting very soon??? 

I'm glad they're replying to somebody. I've asked twice on Instagram & had no reply.

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 1

It's a bit irritating as an email dropped in my box announcing casting for Cinderella in the Round but it's only a very general casting giving some pairings and the role of Benjamin but nothing about who is exactly dancing on which day!! 

2 hours ago, alison said:

The "casting for all dates" option doesn't seem to be working past the first 3 performances (or 3 and a bit, depending on browser) again :( 

It's showing up alright for me. I'm using Firefox.

I'm very pleased that they've finally put up the casting. The downside for me is that the pair I want to see, Hawes & Frola, are only doing 2 Friday matinees plus a Sunday that I can't make, so I'll have to hope I can beg an afternoon off work. The stalls prices are also rather more than I was expecting so, given how many seats there are still available, I may try holding out for a bit & see if there are any offers.

Anyone tell me where this daily casting is?

I can only get the dates of performances for Alina Cojacaru Isaac Hernandez and Jeffrey Cirio

This is when you go into casting for all dates.....these three come up but no other dancers and when they are performing. 😬

Edited by LinMM

26 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I can only get the dates of performances for Alina Cojacaru Isaac Hernandez and Jeffrey Cirio

This is when you go into casting for all dates.....these three come up but no other dancers and when they are performing. 😬

Follow the link I posted. Scroll down to the casting sections and click on “casting for all dates”; if you’re on a phone you may just have to use the drop down menu under “meet the principal casts”.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I've pasted it in below:

Cinderella in-the-round casting

Please note: casting is subject to change. In the order of Cinderella, the Prince and Benjamin.

Thursday 6 June, 7.30pm
Alina Cojocaru, Isaac Hernández, Jeffrey Cirio

Friday 7 June, 2pm
Emma Hawes, Francesco Gabriele Frola, Ken Saruhashi

Friday 7 June, 7.30pm
Erina Takahashi, Joseph Caley, Barry Drummond

Saturday 8 June, 2pm
Alina Cojocaru, Isaac Hernández, Ken Saruhashi

Saturday 8 June, 7.30pm
Maria Kochetkova, Jeffrey Cirio, Francesco Gabriele Frola

Sunday 9 June, 2.30pm

Tuesday 11 June, 7.30pm
Alina Cojocaru, Isaac Hernández, Ken Saruhashi

Wednesday 12 June, 7.30pm
Maria Kochetkova, Jeffrey Cirio, Francesco Gabriele Frola

Thursday 13 June, 7.30pm

Friday 14 June, 2pm

Friday 14 June, 7.30pm
Maria Kochetkova, Jeffrey Cirio, Barry Drummond

Saturday 15 June, 2pm

Saturday 15 June, 7.30pm
Alina Cojocaru, Isaac Hernández, Jeffrey Cirio

Sunday 16 June, 2.30pm

• Like 2

Thanks, Bluebird.

Kochetkova?  I hadn't expected that!  Will be nice to see her back with her old company.

Flippin' heck, though.  £40+ (or lower) for a restricted view from the balcony?  I thought there only used to be 2 ticket bands up there?  There are 4 this time - and less generous in the amount of restriction you get..

Thanks for posting the casting in full Bluebird.  I was away for the weekend and had very limited internet availability.

This is the body of the press release that came with the casting:

TUFTVEVSIExPR08uanBn

English National Ballet 
Cinderella in-the-round 
Royal Albert Hall 
Thursday 06 – Sunday 16 June 2019
Tickets: ballet.org.uk/cinderella / royalalberthall.com/cinderella / 0845 401 5045

This summer English National Ballet performs their biggest production to date, a new, in-the-round version, of Christopher Wheeldon’s Cinderella at the Royal Albert Hall (06–16 June 2019.) 

Principal casting for the production is announced today and sees Lead Principals Alina Cojocaru and Isaac Hernández, Lead Principals Erina Takahashi and Joseph Caley, Lead Principal Jeffrey Cirio and Guest Artist Maria Kochetkova, and First Soloist Emma Hawes and Principal Francesco Gabriele Frola dance the roles of Cinderella and Prince Guillaume respectively. 

Kochetkova joins English National Ballet as Guest Artist for performances of Cinderella having previously danced the title role with San Francisco Ballet. Born in Moscow, the international ballet star trained at the Bolshoi Ballet School before going on to dance with companies across the world including The Royal Ballet, San Francisco Ballet, American Ballet Theatre, the Mariinsky and Mikhailovsky Theatres, and English National Ballet (2003-2007). 

Also announced today are those dancing the role of Benjamin, the prince’s friend: Jeffrey Cirio, Francesco Gabriele Frola, Soloist Ken Saruhashi, and First Artist Barry Drummond. 

Co-produced by English National Ballet and the Royal Albert Hall, Wheeldon’s inventive staging, with over 130 dancers working on the production, combines magnificent sets and costumes, theatrical surprises, and lively choreography set to Prokofiev’s famous score performed by English National Ballet Philharmonic, in what promises to be the ballet spectacular of 2019.

Working from the darkly intriguing Brothers Grimm version of the story, Wheeldon originally created Cinderella to great acclaim for Dutch National Ballet and San Francisco Ballet: he and his creative team now reunite for the re-staging of this sparkling ballet. The production includes striking set design by Julian Crouch – founder of the influential theatre company, Improbable – puppetry from Basil Twist (whose credits include Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) and projection from Daniel Brodie. 

I have now booked for evening of 8th June as I wanted to see Maria Kochetkova. I saw her Sylphide recently in Berlin. So double ballet day for me, as I will be a Sadlers Wells in the afternoon! 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, AnneL said:

I have now booked for evening of 8th June as I wanted to see Maria Kochetkova. I saw her Sylphide recently in Berlin. So double ballet day for me, as I will be a Sadlers Wells in the afternoon! 

Hello AnneL and a belated welcome to the Forum!

• 2 weeks later...

This ENB event looks really good and I thought that Forum members might be interested, especially as it fits in so nicely with going to a performance in the RAH next door:

Chat with the Creatives: Cinderella in-the-round

Friday 7 June 2019

6-6:45pm

Markova House, SW7 2ES

Tickets: £8 pp

Join members of the Creative and Artistic teams for Cinderella in-the-round as they share their inspiration behind this exciting ballet, and tell us about the work involved in bringing this large-scale production to life.

Learn more about the piece, its creation and rehearsals, and take the opportunity to ask questions: the event will close with a Q&A.

• Sarah Crompton, theatre and dance critic
  • Jason Fowler, Guest Repetiteur
  • Costume Supervisor
  • Anna-Babette Winkler, Artist of the Company

Suitable for ages 16+.

https://www.ballet.org.uk/event/chat-creatives-cinderella-in-the-round/ for tickets

It's worth noting that the cost is less than half that charged for the 45 minute 'talks' before the shows which are put on at the ROH.