The Royal Ballet: Frankenstein, March 2019

18 minutes ago, capybara said:

I thought that that effect was intentional! But one of the problems with the staging is that The Creature lurks a lot on the left hand side of the stage and is invisible to the audience seated there.

Scarlett used the same effect  in Sweet Violets

• Like 2

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No sign as yet of the "TBCs" being replaced by an actual name, so I'm wondering whether someone else is learning the role, whether there'll be another guest, or whether it will be either Kish or Hirano.  (Not Hirano for the Saturday double bill, of course)

18 hours ago, JennyTaylor said:

I've seen Kish dance the Creature in two runs now and I think he's been excellent on both occasions. Although this is not my favourite ballet, it did inspire me to read the book (not usually my thing at all) and after that, I felt there was far more that could have been made of this character in the ballet. Indeed, when I watched it on Tuesday, I was frustrated in Act 2 to see Kish just appearing in the background for half the act - and of course, no appearance in Act 1 until right at the end.  I find the whole thing so frustrating!!

I haven't seen the ballet yet, but I've read (and taught) the book, and I agree that 'Frankenstein' is arguably the creature's story as much as it is Victor's; as readers we are forced to see things from the creature's perspective, and to empathise with him. A shame if he's mostly reduced to a lurking background figure? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alison said:

No sign as yet of the "TBCs" being replaced by an actual name, so I'm wondering whether someone else is learning the role, whether there'll be another guest, or whether it will be either Kish or Hirano.  (Not Hirano for the Saturday double bill, of course)

I've been checking multiple times a day for the last couple of weeks & am finding the continued TBC frustrating, as I'm waiting to find out who is doing the final performance before I make a decision on whether to see it. Is it normal for cast changes to be left in the air like this until so near the performance? I can't believe the RB don't know who will be dancing a lead role in performances 5 & 8 days away, so why not announce it?

1 hour ago, alison said:

Or McRae reprising his created role now that he's back in the studio.

4 hours ago, aliceinwoolfland said:

... as readers we are forced to see things from the creature's perspective, and to empathise with him.

I think in the Ballet we are able to empathise with the Creature - William’s death seems much more an accident than murder to me.  It’s just that the reanimation scene is very rushed when there might have been opportunity to show the Creature experiencing his physical being, new limbs, the immediate surroundings etc before Frankenstein realises the Creature has come to life, is repulsed by what he sees and is appalled at what he’s done.  As regards the ‘lurking’ early in Act 2, I think this is pretty effective in the theatre if you have a decent view but I do appreciate that for many seats with restricted views, it’s very unclear what is going on.  Again a plea for the production team to look at perspectives other than centre Stalls, Grand Tier, Balcony etc.  To me the Creature’s shadow is deliberate and chilling.  

On 14/03/2019 at 09:28, Jamesrhblack said:

Act Three, with its tribute to La Valse, makes an eloquent start. I’m not sure everyone else can see The Creature.

In Act 3 it’s Frankenstein who is haunted by the Creature and sees him dancing with guests just as he sees Justine and William etc from the past.  When Frankenstein’s haunted images are replaced by the actual Creature embarking on his blood fest, is this when the Creature is back in his original costume?  I can’t recall and as James says, we’re more engaged in the dance than Frankenstein’s father’s death.

Overall, my sympathies are very much for the Creature rather than Frankenstein who does nothing to help Justine when he knows she is innocent, I think more so in the Ballet than the novel where he suspects/isn’t in a position to intervene as he only arrives after Justine has been charged?  But then I tend to be pro Caliban and think Prospero has a great deal to answer for.

• Like 3

So what is going on with Frankenstein sales?  Two days ago there were about 1400 seats available next Monday, most of them  in the stalls.  And then, like magic, the same area is nearly full!

Are we to assume that the world has just realised that they absolutely must see Frankenstein next Monday or have all London's nurses/firemen/social workers been invited to the party?  Or is there some amazing offer on that has been extended to the world with the obvious exclusion of RB regulars?

Answers on a postcard, please...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, penelopesimpson said:

So what is going on with Frankenstein sales?  Two days ago there were about 1400 seats available next Monday, most of them  in the stalls.  And then, like magic, the same area is nearly full!

Are we to assume that the world has just realised that they absolutely must see Frankenstein next Monday or have all London's nurses/firemen/social workers been invited to the party?  Or is there some amazing offer on that has been extended to the world with the obvious exclusion of RB regulars?

If those really were the people being offered the tickets (no doubt at large discount) that would at least have some worth. But, of course, that's not what's happening.

The ticket sales for Frankenstein are interesting, because it does seem that if the ballet regulars don't buy in bulk, there's a real problem for the ROH. That seems to belie their oft-quoted statistic (which I can't remember, of course, but it was quite high) as to the percentage of complete newbies coming to each performance or each season or whatever it is/was. Clearly there aren't enough of them to buy the tickets (at full price, which presumably the ROH needs) when the regulars stay away.

• Like 1

Something in the region of 50% newbies, I think it's usually said.  May look great on the ACE report, but as I've pointed out previously I find it alarmingly high, because it doesn't seem to indicate that they are converting newcomers into return visitors.

• Like 2

Last night was brilliant - I'd been worried that I wouldn't enjoy the ballet after reading reviews in the press and on here. I loved the atmosphere of gothic decay created so skilfully by John McFarlane. The sets often seemed somewhat disembodied, eg the hallway of the Frankenstein mansion surrounded by empty nothingness, which I thought was very clever given the subject matter of the ballet. The special effects were dazzling, and I *know* the score felt cinematic but I loved it. The orchestra were on top form and received a huge round of applause! 

As a huge fan of the novel, I do have some questions about the omission of large parts of the plot. I can understand the Creature's tale being left out, but it seemed bizarre for Act 3 to begin with a lengthy wedding ball rather than with the Creature's impassioned appeal to Victor to create him a female companion, and Victor's creation and destruction of that companion. It would have made for much more powerful and compelling viewing; crucially, it would have given the audience a greater insight into the Creature's decision to kill Elizabeth. Contrary to what the ballet seems to suggest, the Creature does not just go on a mass killing spree because Victor abandoned him - there is more to his side of the story.

This ballet needs a bit of tweaking, and choreographically it is nowhere near as good as my favourites, but I would definitely see it again. 'Hideous progeny' it is not! 

• Like 9

With so many people getting up to leave as soon as the curtain dropped after the curtain call I thought we wouldn’t get a red run, I can’t remember if the clapping stopped too but was pleased to see one, makes me wonder even more why Meaghan and Alexander didn’t get one. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Rob S said:

With so many people getting up to leave as soon as the curtain dropped after the curtain call I thought we wouldn’t get a red run, I can’t remember if the clapping stopped too but was pleased to see one, makes me wonder even more why Meaghan and Alexander didn’t get one. 

That was an awful decision, I presume borne of a sort of panic because the applause had stopped. Really really wrong.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

I’ve not seen any ticket offers, so is it the student standby at £10 a ticket ? If so the RoH must have taken a big hit on this run. 

40 minutes ago, annamk said:

I’ve not seen any ticket offers, so is it the student standby at £10 a ticket ? If so the RoH must have taken a big hit on this run. 

I heard that students were being charged £5. Maybe, if we are at a performance, we can take a sneak peak at our neighbours' tickets or ask them? I've done this in the past and have found people delighted to share news of their 'bargains'.

To confirm what Janice has said, the student standby dates thus far have been: 5th March (opening night for £5), 11th, 12th, and 18th March (all the usual £10). On these dates, all tickets are offered at the standby price regardless of face value. That means tickets priced at £115 being sold for £10. Performances on 8th and 15th were not offered. That's four of six with three more to go. 

3 hours ago, Rob S said:

We were pushing dangerously close to the 10:30pm curfew on Tuesday night, but I am as disgusted as everyone else. Disgraceful and disrespectful not to do red runs at anytime, especially debuts. Can you imagine not getting red runs after a performance of Romeo and Juliet? 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Fiz said:

Is a red run a company walk down and curtain calls? I don’t know this expression. 

I assume a 'red run', Fiz, is when the individual principal and soloist artistes appear in front of the red ROH curtain ... following the main company curtain call on the main stage.  Must confess the terminology was new for me as well.   Maybe at the MET they call it a 'golden gavotte' .... but I've never heard that expression either ;) 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1