The Royal Ballet: Frankenstein, March 2019

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Saodan said:

Tomorrow's performance has been opened to Student Standby. This time tickets are £5 rather than the usual £10. Desperate to fill up opening night? It's worked at least.

That's great for students but it would be really nice if they'd consider having some discounts for those of us that aren't students but would still be interested in seeing the piece at somewhat lower prices. I'm sure the ROH used to occasionally have offers for the general public but nowadays there seems to be nothing apart from student offers.

• Like 6

It is ironic that frankenstein is exactly the kind of non traditional no tutu sort of ballet that could appeal to the millennial audience the ROH management seems to want to attract. In that case what went wrong with the marketing? How have they failed so badly? Have they not realised yet that traditional ballets can sell well because they have a regular if despised audience whereas non traditional ones need more proactive marketing? If frankenstein had been marketed in this way, perhaps sending details to local colleges or dance schools they might have got an audience. Or if they had emailed regulars who haven't booked offering discounts. That would be a nice thank you. I've often wondered why the ROH couldn't have a loyalty card like supermarkets but the sad fact is that they don't seem to value loyal customers these days. They're too busy chasing after the mythical new ones. However to return to Frankenstein part of the problem could be the title, as traditional ballet goers may be put off by the subject matter and people who enjoyed the book can't envisage it as a ballet. Also it may just be scheduled at a bad time for regulars like myself who've just shelled out a lot of money for multiple Don Q's and Romeo and Juliets and can't afford anything else.

• Like 8

I agree with all that has been said about the poor marketing, and some of these good suggestions could have improved sales.

But surely the main reason for the relatively poor sales is very simple: that it wasn't very good, and most of  the silent majority of ballet fans who normally fill the seats,  didn't like it much and are staying away. Normally I will get a cheap seat for something I don't much care for,  just to see a particular dancer, but in this case, I feel (much) more negatively than that about the piece. Quite a few people here have said the same, and they are clearly the tip of an iceberg.

The title is very well known indeed- that can't be the problem. The problem is , the ballet didn't satisfactorily present the novel as a ballet.Maybe it was an impossible aim.

I am not sure I would even want large numbers of new people to be persuaded by clever targeted marketing to go -  because I just don't think they would be getting the best introduction to the RB, ballet,  or the joys of dance more generally.

Wouldn't you rather take a new person to Romeo and Juliet?

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Mary said:

But surely the main reason for the relatively poor sales is very simple: that it wasn't very good

😂 at polite but accurate assessment.

Is it also fair to say music is equally not very good? Designs are well done though. 

I wonder if it would have been more successful if it had built out from a shorter initial choreographic attempt - thinking of an Anastasia style one act which is then expanded to a full ballet on the basis it is robust enough. Also on the music front, what about some good old fashioned arrangement of existing pieces which are more of a pleasure to listen to? Feel very much that way about Joby Talbot too!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jmhopton said:

Of it they had emailed regulars who haven't booked offering discounts. That would be a nice thank you. 

A lovely idea, but they are hardly likely to thank the very group of people they are trying to push out of the way.

• Like 3

I wouldn’t go again even if they gave me a

ticket 😂 but I’m staggered they haven’t done any special offers. Perhaps huge changes have transformed it and they are waiting for the 5* reviews to galvanise ticket sales ! 

• Like 2

On 03/03/2019 at 03:41, ninamargaret said:

i think the poor sales of tickets show how difficult it is to sell 'unknown ' ballets to the general public unless the tickets are very reasonably priced - let's say at triple bill level.

I am not sure about the 'unknown' factor, the premiere had a lot of publicity, but I am sure about one thing: it was a flop, a complete, unmitigated fiasco, the music and the choreography; the script and the mise-en-scène didn't help either. I think at least some of this must have filtered out to the theatre-going public.

• Like 1

One aspect of marketing missed is the interest in the two hundred year anniversary of Mary Shelley’s novel, which is one factor that must have been considered when they decided to revive the ballet this year. As someone here has said previously, the ballet provides a pretty close interpretation of the story and a good attempt to tackle its themes. A greater focus on this might have helped attract an audience who are less interested in the ‘Hammer horror’ aspect.

• Like 5

I did not perceive any fundamental changes at the General Rehearsal yesterday. In fact, I thought that the initial establishment of the Henry character (Frankenstein's friend) and the connection they made with one another in the laboratory was more fudged than I remember. The Creature still seems to run off virtually as soon as he comes to life, thus establishing no relationship with Frankenstein which would make sense (to me) of elements of the story which ensues.

BTW, people sitting on the left sides of the auditorium are liable to miss a lot of 'lurking' on the part of The Creature.

Please could someone attending tonight offer us a photo of the casting?

Edited by capybara

4 hours ago, assoluta said:

I am not sure about the 'unknown' factor, the premiere had a lot of publicity, but I am sure about one thing: it was a flop, a complete, unmitigated fiasco, the music and the choreography; the script and the mise-en-scène didn't help either. 

Last night, I re-read most of the (long!) thread on this forum on the work's first performances. I was surprised to see so many positive and enthusiastic comments (as well as a lot of criticism, and constructive suggestions for revision). My own comments were more positive than I had remembered in retrospect. It also clearly got a very good reception from audiences. So it cannot simply be dismissed as a 'flop', let alone a 'fiasco'. But I do hope (and understand) that changes have been made for this run, and that they address the main problems with the work.

• Like 5

Just now, capybara said:

Which are/were?

I can't summarise a very long thread! Especially typing slowly on my phone... I was just making the point that there was actually a lot of enthusiasm for the work first time round.

• Like 1

Oops, someone hadn't been tagging threads again :(  Now rectified.

7 hours ago, assoluta said:

I think at least some of this must have filtered out to the theatre-going public.

Want a bet?

2 hours ago, bridiem said:

Last night, I re-read most of the (long!) thread on this forum on the work's first performances. I was surprised to see so many positive and enthusiastic comments (as well as a lot of criticism, and constructive suggestions for revision). My own comments were more positive than I had remembered in retrospect. It also clearly got a very good reception from audiences. So it cannot simply be dismissed as a 'flop', let alone a 'fiasco'. But I do hope (and understand) that changes have been made for this run, and that they address the main problems with the work.

Many thanks Bridie - I’m rather hoping audiences may look afresh at Frankenstein, particularly post Swan Lake, Asphodel Meadows and Vixen.  Yes, there were criticisms of the first run but some of the comments in anticipation of the revival seem a bit harsh to me.  I’m certainly looking forward to seeing a couple of performances - stage/technical issues permitting.

• Like 3

I was (and still am) one of those who was very enthusiastic about Frankenstein last time around.  For me (and I realise I seem to be in a tiny minority of one!), of all the new full-lengths that have been created on the Royal Ballet in the last few years (and I've enjoyed them all to a greater or lesser degree), this is by far my favourite due to the musicality of the choreography, some wonderful pdds (one of Liam's real strengths, in my book) the accurate depiction of the novel, and the emotion it stirred up, not to mention the lavish costumes which I love. I'm very much looking forward to re-visiting it this evening.  Incidentally, I attended four performances last time, and each time there was a standing ovation from a large section of the audience, which certainly didn't feel like a flop to me.  (Just thought I'd give my two-pence worth to counter-balance some of the negativity!!).

• Like 15

53 minutes ago, ElleC said:

I'm very much looking forward to re-visiting it this evening. 

Very pleased to read your post and do hope all goes well tonight.  I’ll certainly look forward to reading what you make of the revival and any fine tuning from Liam Scarlett.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lynette H said:

Whatever special offer it was seems to have worked for tonight - ROH web site now says 11 tickets available instead of hundreds.....

See Saodan's post ‎04‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 15:40 on page 2 :) 

• John Mallinson changed the title to The Royal Ballet: Frankenstein, March 2019

Have to say I enjoyed this evening's performance hugely. Morera/Bonelli on top form, James Hay as Henry and an excellent Creature from Wei Wang. I hadn't seen James Hay for some time - I think since his Lescaut and yet again I was high e impressed. For me, Morera/Bonelli can do no wrong - it's a very special partnership.  Yes, there are parts of the ballet that go on a bit, the music is somewhat overblown and some of the special effects raise a few giggles, but pretty enjoyable on the whole. There appeared to be an awful lot of very mature looking students there, but the PH bar was very quiet. 

• Like 9

8 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

There appeared to be an awful lot of very mature looking students there, but the PH bar was very quiet. 

Glad you enjoyed the performance. A strong cast including the hoped-for James Hay as Henry. Who was Justine, please?

Adult students are eligible for the ROH scheme, I believe.

Edited by capybara

15 minutes ago, capybara said:

Glad you enjoyed the performance. A strong cast including the hoped-for James Hay as Henry. Who was Justine, please?

Justine was Romany Pajdak.

The bar in the Amphi was very lively! 🙂

• Like 3

1 hour ago, capybara said:

Most students are adults,  but I know what you mean!

I believe you are correct, even though the ROH's scheme has confusingly been renamed from ROH Students to Young ROH...

2 hours ago, capybara said:

Romany Padjak was Justine, and a very good performance too. And as far as mature students are concerned, as a geriatric myself I've no problems with mature students! It would seem, however, that it is still the older audience that is attracted to ballet.

Edited by John Mallinson
Comment mixed in with quote
  • Like 2