The Royal Ballet: Romeo and Juliet, Spring 2019

3 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Because?

The RB may have considered Mercutio appropriate for a principal at some point, but not in the several years I've been following them--unlike, say, American Ballet Theater, which almost always has a principal or two dancing Mercutio whenever it does the Macmillan R&J.  

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Because?

................. Alexander Campbell has  had a lot on his plate, maybe there comes a moment (and I speculate, of course - naughty me) when a dancer feels that he's danced a role often enough, and, generally speaking, Mercutio is being cast at First Soloist/Soloist level.

I am amazed that James Hay has not danced the role before!

• Like 1

So unless I am mistaken, on Thursday we have role debuts for Juliet (Takada) 💃, Romeo (Hirano) 🕺 and Mercutio (Hay)🤺

Slightly nervous for them, but they are all professionals and fantastic dancers and I'm looking forward very much to their performances. Best wishes to all! 

• Like 4

I too was surprised that Hay had never danced Mercutio before, but it's a role that will suit him very well, I'm sure.  I'd been going to suggest that the Takada cast was a likely opportunity because of the relative heights of the dancers.  It is of course a role which, at the RB at least, has a long history of being danced by Principals (some of whom, at least, doubled up as Romeos) - but then I've also seen Benvolio, Paris, and even the lead mandolin dancer danced by Principals before now, and I'm not talking about gala performances.  If that's stopped, then it's a shame, even given the depth of talent in the company at present.

• Like 2

And especially as Campbell is so good in the role as well.

I think he danced Romeo with BRB?  Is there a particular reason why he is never cast in that role for the RB? Surely the current Juliets are not all tall, are they?

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Fonty said:

And especially as Campbell is so good in the role as well.

I think he danced Romeo with BRB?  Is there a particular reason why he is never cast in that role for the RB? Surely the current Juliets are not all tall, are they?

He danced both Mercutio and Romeo at BRB, both to great acclaim.  It's beyond me why he isn't being given Romeo in the current run but it's saved me a lot of money.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, MAX said:

I would not pay to see Hirano as Romeo 😕

Why, out of interest?  He was excellent in Winter’s Tale.  I’d love to see Stix-Brunell as Juliet so will be very interested to see what people make of her partnership with Hirano.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, alison said:

I too was surprised that Hay had never danced Mercutio before, but it's a role that will suit him very well, I'm sure.  I'd been going to suggest that the Takada cast was a likely opportunity because of the relative heights of the dancers.

I wonder whether he might also do the likewise not very tall Hayward/Corrales performances then? Or is the piece usually cast so each Romeo & Juliet pairing have a different Mercutio? I'd like to see Hay, having thought while watching his Act 3 solo in Frankenstein on Saturday that he'd be good in the role.

17 minutes ago, Anna C said:

Why, out of interest?  He was excellent in Winter’s Tale.  I’d love to see Stix-Brunell as Juliet so will be very interested to see what people make of her partnership with Hirano.

I can't speak for MAX but I confess I've got my fingers crossed that none of the 3 Romeos I've booked for (Clarke, Muntagirov & Corrales) get injured & replaced by Hirano. I wasn't keen on his acting in Mayerling so don't wish to see him in another leading Macmillan role in a hurry.

• Like 3

I saw him in Winter Dreams and.... that was a very poor performance, technically and artistically. Not what I expect from a Royal Ballet principal.  We were very far from Mukhamedov. I enjoy very much coming to the ROH but the seats are very expensive which means I will simply choose another dancer next time I come to the UK.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MAX said:

and yes ! you are right Janet ☺️

I really liked him in Winter Dreams...

But I agree that if you can't, like me, travel to lots of performances you tend to choose the dancers you like.  I suppose it's one of the reasons I prefer mixed bills because you can become acquainted with dancers you may not otherwise see.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, alison said:

He was.  So Hirano ends up covering 2 casts (I get the feeling we've been here before, somehow)

Sorry, I need to catch up!  So what has happened to Macrae?

Oops, sorry.  See he's injured.  That's the curse of Cats

Edited by penelopesimpson

2 hours ago, aliceinwoolfland said:

Disappointed that Campbell isn't being cast as Romeo, especially given the number of male principal roles he's been overlooked for in the last year or so. (Siegfried, Albrecht, Des Grieux..) 

Whilst  he has danced Albrecht (with Hayward) and Des Grieux (with Takada) it was  as a sub. rather than first choice.   I would have thought he would also have made a great sub. for McRae as Romeo, particularly with Takada as Juliet as they had a  great partnership in Manon as referred to above (as well as more recently in Don Q). But yes, we have been here before. 

• Like 4

Right, from a combination of sources (email from the ROH and various dancers’ public instagram accounts) I have deduced that in theory (and subject to change), tonight’s cast includes:

Romeo - Matthew Ball

Juliet - Lauren Cuthbertson

Tybalt - Gary Avis

Mercutio - Valentino Zucchetti

Benvolio - James Hay

Harlots - Itziar Mendizabal, Claire Calvert, Mayara Magri

Can’t find any information on Lord and Lady Capulet, Nurse, Friar or Escalus.  

• Like 3

General rehearsal cast, if helpful: 

Juliet - Akane Takada

Romeo - Ryoichi Hirano

Mercutio - James Hay

Tybalt - Bennet Gartside

Benvolio - Tristan Dyer

Paris - Tomas Mock

Lord & Lady Capulet - Thomas Whitehead & Kristen McNally

Escalus - Alastair Marriott

Rosaline - Claire Calvert

Nurse - Romany Padjak 

Friar Laurence - Philip Mosley

Lord & Lady Montague - Philip Mosley & Lara Turk

Harlots - Yuhui Choe, Olivia Cowley, Meaghan Grace Hinkis

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Anna C said:

Right, from a combination of sources (email from the ROH and various dancers’ public instagram accounts) I have deduced that in theory (and subject to change), tonight’s cast includes:

Romeo - Matthew Ball

Juliet - Lauren Cuthbertson

Tybalt - Gary Avis

Mercutio - Valentino Zucchetti

Benvolio - James Hay

Harlots - Itziar Mendizabal, Claire Calvert, Mayara Magri

Can’t find any information on Lord and Lady Capulet, Nurse, Friar or Escalus.  

Very helpful, thanks!

I don’t suppose anyone knows who is in the role of Paris this evening? 

• Like 1