New ROH website - 2019 and 2022 versions

14 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Also the related "filters" are awkward and cannot be saved, so need  re-entering  each time. And they are limited for  narrowing  searches – for example selecting “ballet and dance”  and “talks and insights”  gives you all ballet and dance and all talks and insights, not just talks and insights relating to ballet and dance.

I think you get a list of ballet and dance related insight events if you select this combination of filters
Event type - Ballet and dance
Plus
Venue - Clore
Plus
Venue - Linbury

If you select Ballet and Dance only you get the list of all performances, rehearsals, insights and other events which are ballet or dance related.

I would find it much easier to adapt to using the new website if only it allowed you to bookmark page views resulting from applying your chosen filters (as already mentioned by Richard LH, Geoff and others in this discussion).

Many thanks to Richard LH for sharing earlier in this thread various cache view links (not sure if I'm using the correct term) for old style pages. I've found these extremely helpful.

Edited by Josephine

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, alison said:

How does that affect your shopping basket, though?  Do you need to be signed in on each of them?  Will they all "talk" to each other?  I'm sure I tried something like that once and it didn't work - aren't they all regarded as separate entities, with separate places in the queue?

It's how I do it every time booking opens and it's always worked for me.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

It's how I do it every time booking opens and it's always worked for me.

Me too. You need to refresh each one so it picks up the fact that you’re logged in, but otherwise it works fine.

Then if you need tickets for more than one performance of the same thing, you can navigate back to the individual production page from the link now showing in your shopping basket.

Edited by RuthE
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Josephine said:

I think you get a list of ballet and dance related insight events if you select this combination of filters
Event type - Ballet and dance
Plus
Venue - Clore
Plus
Venue - Linbury

Thanks Josephine. You do get  ballet and dance related Insight events that way, but also  performances in the Linbury, so it is still not entirely narrowed down. However  in itself, that is not as much of an issue as the filters re-setting,  along with the various other   problems with the recent  changes.

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 1

On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 14:36, Richard LH said:

Hopefully plenty of us will be contacting the ROH using this link:

http://www.roh.org.uk/contact

and selecting "website", to express our  views on the recent changes. 

Have done just this and sent a long letter (see below). Will be interesting to see the reply. I'll keep you posted.

ROH website 2019.docx

• Like 5

It seems that the new website keeps you signed in all the time, unless you specifically sign out. I don't think it used to do this - I think previously if you had been signed in, closed the tab and came back and reopened it, you had to sign in again. Now it seems if I open a new ROH tab, I'm still signed in.  I'm not sure why this has changed (if it has changed, and it's not my memory at fault). 

It's not very easy in the new layout to see whether in fact you are signed in or not - this used to be in the red banner that ran across the top of all the old screens. You can go to My account and check there. But I did wonder if this was deliberate or purely accidental. 

14 minutes ago, aliceinwoolfland said:

Is it just me who doesn't find the new website that difficult to navigate...?

I don’t find it difficult to navigate but I do find it annoying - far too much space taken up by pictures and white space.

I also think it’s not a good browsing experience, with too many “events” getting in the way of productions. It’s OK if you know exactly where you’re trying to get to and are determined to do so, but for the casual visitor the main stage performances just aren’t prominent enough.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lynette H said:

It seems that the new website keeps you signed in all the time, unless you specifically sign out. I don't think it used to do this - I think previously if you had been signed in, closed the tab and came back and reopened it, you had to sign in again.

It’s always kept me signed in between sessions, though it would sign me out on on occasion, seemingly at random (though my guess is that this happened when they’d made updates to the system).

Have done just this and sent a long letter (see below). Will be interesting to see the reply. I'll keep you posted.

ROH website 2019.docx 15.28 kB · 66 downloads

While I am unimpressed by many of the changes (particularly ‘what’s on’ and ‘calendar’), I’m not sure I follow the point that News has vanished.  The News page is still there and can be accessessed from the menu.  It has all the News items (albeit many items now do not accept comments) and at the bottom of the page are all the links to the ROH (for the historic database which still needs a lot of updating) and the Royal Ballet, including the biographies of dancers etc.  

5 hours ago, JohnS said:

While I am unimpressed by many of the changes (particularly ‘what’s on’ and ‘calendar’), I’m not sure I follow the point that News has vanished.  The News page is still there and can be accessessed from the menu.  It has all the News items (albeit many items now do not accept comments) and at the bottom of the page are all the links to the ROH (for the historic database which still needs a lot of updating) and the Royal Ballet, including the biographies of dancers etc.   

Yes I do see the News page is still there and does have some of the old features. My comments relate to when I clicked on it at the weekend and the links at the bottom were not there on my computer at the time. it was just the meaningless logos you get at the bottom of the current home page. I do see that some links are there now (though not the seasons one I usually use to book tickets with). Also it still isn't used to give current casting changes though they do seem to be using it more to publicise actual events such as the Romeo live streaming and the Jette Parker Young Artists. So it's good to know it is still being used and perhaps casting will be returned eventually. However, it's not easy to find unlike previously. I just found it now to give this information but I don't know how to find it again from the Homepage. it is the Homepage that is so awkward to use for regular users who usually know what they want and want to get there quickly. I can see the superficial attraction of the new layout perhaps to people who want to browse the website, so my suggestion would be (and I will email it to the website people like I did my letter) to possibly keep the Homepage at least for now but have the old links restored at the bottom of the page. Surely that will please most people? Like most people using the Forum my definite preference would be for the website to revert to what it was but presumably they have spent a lot of time and money 'updating' it and are not going to abandon it yet so if they can make it more user friendly for us that might have to suffice at least for now. Ironically, the News page layout is a lot more user friendly than the Homepage; could have something to do with the fact it hasn't been altered  though of course the links at the top (Tickets and Events; Your Visit and Eat and Drink) take you to the new style pages which aren't good.

9 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

but I don't know how to find [News] again from the Homepage

If you click on ‘Menu’ top right on the home page it gives you ‘Tickets & Events’, ‘Shop’ and ‘News’ and a few others.  I think some time ago Richard or Rob pointed out that ‘Menu’ was nothing to do with Food and Drink!  But I sympathise very much with a lot of what you say.  Hopefully we’ll all get a bit more familiar with the website and the ROH will make a number of changes in light of all the feedback.

I have just seen the post on the Disrespecting Dancers thread about Gary Avis posting his appearances in forthcoming productions. I am not sure how long he has been doing this, but it is brilliant to be able to access this information in lieu of the inadequate details noted elsewhere on this thread.   I wonder if  dancers will increasingly share this information on a more regular basis via Social Media - I assume that they are allowed to once casting has been confirmed, . Perhaps First Soloists/Soloists should get together and form their own website to enable us to find out what the listings don't tell us !  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

I have just seen the post on the Disrespecting Dancers thread about Gary Avis posting his appearances in forthcoming productions. I am not sure how long he has been doing this, but it is brilliant to be able to access this information in lieu of the inadequate details noted elsewhere on this thread.   I wonder if  dancers will increasingly share this information on a more regular basis via Social Media - I assume that they are allowed to once casting has been confirmed, . Perhaps First Soloists/Soloists should get together and form their own website to enable us to find out what the listings don't tell us !  

As Gary Avis mainly  undertakes "principal character artist" roles, perhaps  it is easier for him  to know, and set out,  his schedule so far in advance, compared to  other cast members?

I have yet to come across other dancers having personal websites similar  to  this one. Indeed do any other dancers publish their own schedules  anywhere? 

I would far prefer to see such information  properly displayed centrally on the ROH website than trawl around to try and find it from various other random sources. 

If  casting information to the end of the season is generally available for most main characters, it is annoying  that the responsible people at the ROH have not yet seen fit to share it with us on the website. 

• Like 5

My suggestion about a website was tongue in cheek. However, I know that some dancers such as Claire Calvert and Beatriz Stix-Brunell do post such information on social media, usually in response to an enquiry, and certainly not on a regular basis. Currently we seem to be reliant on people here to post details they have gleaned or from sharing cast lists which although welcome, is a sorry state of affairs.

• Like 1

Most high-ranked RB dancers (and some lower-ranked ones!) do indeed have personal websites.  Even more of them, I think, have one or more social media accounts on which they could publish their scheduled performances.

A number of Principal Dancers post details of their guest appearances on social media but not their ones with their main company because these are published by the company concerned - be that months ahead, a few weeks ahead, or just before the season opens ( it varies, as we know!).

It is genuinely the case that dancers below Principal rank often do not know their exact dates until quite late in the day. However, the RB 'teams' for R&J (i.e. Mercutio/Benvolio/Tybalt) do know with which Romeo they are dancing, and therefore the dates. So, if approached in person, they will usually be able to say.

It is rumoured that dancers have sometimes been reprimanded for posting their dates online ahead of any official announcement.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, alison said:

Most high-ranked RB dancers (and some lower-ranked ones!) do indeed have personal websites.  Even more of them, I think, have one or more social media accounts on which they could publish their scheduled performances.

I believe that the Ballet Association website gives a list of personal websites and Twitter accounts for RB and BRB dancers. However when I last checked the website links here (about two months ago) some led to defunct or inactive websites.

Edited to add that I've just checked the BA page and see that it has been updated, giving links to just two dancers' own websites (Gary Avis and Olivia Cowley):

http://www.balletassociation.co.uk/Pages/company.html

Edited by Josephine

21 minutes ago, Shirley said:

To me it is amazing that only 2 RB dancers have active websites …

By chance I checked this morning on the website links I'd put up on the Ballet Association page and deleted the non-functioning ones, just leaving a paltry two. That short list is not authoritative (!) but it may well be that the use of Instagram etc has diminished the need or inclination to set up a full site. If anyone knows of sites belonging to members of either RB company perhaps they could post them here and I can add them to the page. Thanks.

(Disclaimer: I run the BA website but am not part of their organisation.)

• Like 3

I don't suppose anyone has a list of RB dancers who are on Instagram? I gather more of them tend to post on there than on Twitter. Most of the ones that I've looked up on Twitter seem not to have posted on there for ages so it doesn't seem worth following them.

14 hours ago, Josephine said:

Sad to say that this now shows as a broken link (for me).

Yes that's broken, but this one still seems to work for What's On 

https://www.roh.org.uk/events?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInZjemJGV4QIVwiaGCh2S0AMaEAAYASABEgJhrPD_BwE

and for Upcoming Productions

http://www.roh.org.uk/productions?_ga=2.139804410.835951387.1553237162-1432497339.1553237162

• Like 2

Many thanks Richard.  The top link also gives the ‘Calendar’ display but then I find it only works by first clicking to get the full month display.  Clicking a specific date or a booking period takes me to ‘Tickets & events’ which I find really frustrating for navigating.

• Like 1

I had a reply to my second email about website design today (the one where I suggested they replace the links at the bottom of the new Homepage). it is just a general reply from Graham Boland,  Customer Services manager. So at least it was a person not an automated reply.

'Thank you for your email in relation to our redesigned website.

I will be passing your feedback to our Digital team. I do know they are issuing new pages over the coming weeks and months and will be endeavouring to make the user experience as smooth as possible. '