New ROH website - 2019 and 2022 versions

Oh wow, that IS bad. I went to my bookmarked Summer page, and this is the order in which the events are presented (unfiltered):

Sing at the ROH

Crafternoons

Family Sundays

Thurrock Tour

Live at Lunch

Dance with the Royal Ballet

Opera Dots

Recitals at Lunch

Tea Dance

Ballet Dots

Insights Bryan Terfel

Insights Dance and Disability

Insights Ballet Black in rehearsal 

Insights Matthew Ball

Insights RB in rehearsal 

Insights Fonteyn and Me

FINALLY: Firebird/Month/Symphony in C

and so on

That’s 16 views to scroll through before we get to a production.

I expect this is strictly chronological, with cross-season recurring “events” having their earliest dates driving the order, but who on earth decided this is appropriate?

Edited by Lizbie1
  • Like 8

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Rob S said:

I propose you open up an ‘incognito’ tab on your browser so that every time you refresh the page a new ‘feedback’ pop up....err...pops up...and you can stress the point an appropriate number of times in different ways 

Well, I have the best part of half-a-dozen devices I can do it on, anyway!

Weren't they supposed to be testing the new look and getting feedback from users before it went live, or was that for a previous incarnation?  I definitely remember being asked to see whether and how I could arrive at a specific page from a starting page.  Probably was a previous version ...

Oh, plus I have that so-hated feeling of having someone shoving a large-print book in front of my face :(  I don't suppose there's a way of setting my browser to display individual pages smaller, is there?

• Like 3

I’m pleased it’s not just me and my lack of IT skills.  I assume this development takes account of the testing some weeks ago which I’m pleased to say completely passed me by so the design choices/functionality have already had the benefit of testing/feedback etc.  I always found ‘What’s on’ excellent and very much liked the detail in the calendar to plan trips.   I have contacted the website people as I’m really struggling to see how I’ll cope when Autumn booking opens - fortunately some time off.  

• Like 3

Confusion it seems reigns throughout.   Perhaps this is just the ROH Media forces signalling their extreme distress.  Poor creatures.  May they find the answer to their anxieties soon.  Somehow they seem - I'm sure unwittingly - to bring the rest of us down with them in utter frustration.  

Surely Alex Beard, CBE, ROH Chief Executive would have to sign off on something like this, would he not???   At the BA meeting he said people should feel free to come up and speak to him if they saw him about.  If he puts his head above the parapet now I fear he may be inundated.

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

I think the ROH has lost sight of the fact that the website is an important factor in enabling them to achieve their strategic purposes. Potential ‘customers’  should not be required to jump through hoops to access basic information and make bookings. I have given feedback!!!!!

• Like 5

I just logged on to see but unfortunately it appears my version has been updated as well. However if you filter to main stage then it isn't quite so bad - on a PC at least.

However to lump all venues, types etc etc at the beginning is a mess.

Luckily I had already booked for the summer season so perhaps by next season it might have improved !

I managed to find the 'email us' link to send a few choice comments. First one was "Who the .... tested this?". Included a challenge to book 30 (it could be more of course) rehearsals/performances/events in the 30 minutes alloted time for booking.

• Like 2

Oh no my worst fears have happened.....that when it reverted back to the old website for a while ....after the monstrosity of the new one for a few weeks.....that it would only be a temporary reprieve😢😢😢 

• Like 1

The filters do enable you to see for example, a list of all main stage ballet/dance productions and rehearsals in Summer 18/19. But I can't find a way to bookmark a page view resulting from applying your chosen filters. Has anyone else managed to do this? If it is impossible (as I assume), then you need to reapply relevant filters on every website visit. Very tiresome!

As far as I can see, neither the calendar nor the selection of season specific filters will allow access to any information about past performances. This is disappointing, as sometimes it was useful to view past performance listings via the old calendar, to double check casting for example.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MargaretN7 said:

I managed to find the 'email us' link to send a few choice comments. First one was "Who the .... tested this?". Included a challenge to book 30 (it could be more of course) rehearsals/performances/events in the 30 minutes alloted time for booking.

Perhaps it's a deliberate ploy to stop regulars from booking for lots of performances!!

I gave them 1/5 feedback from both my phone earlier & my laptop just now, together with messages complaining about the amount of scrolling & saying how much better the previous site was. I'm glad I've already decided what I want to book for on 3rd April as I have grave doubts that I'd be able to find any of it if I didn't already know it must be there... somewhere... after an eternity of scrolling.

• Like 2

The nightmare is back

I can't see any improvement since they tried the first time.

When you see feedback screen pops up, pleaase do feed back at that point.

Once you move the page, it will not reappear.

That is my case.

11 minutes ago, alison said:

As I discovered to my cost :( 

Although I suppose you could change browsers ...

The last time it was just IE with one of  my laptops

IE, Chrome and Safri display the same design this time.

So the answer is probably no.

The bookmarked production link leads to new designed page.

So booking related pages have been hidden.

On 11 February 2019 at 10:04, Richard LH said:

My Android tablet has not changed yet. 

On my desktop I use Windows 10...I  now get  the new Tickets and Events page (which seems to be the new  and less user-friendly What's On page) on Microsoft Edge, but not on Chrome  unless I type in the relevant  address as in

https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events

Hopefully you can use these links to directly access other  relevant existing pages, from either browser, and save them as bookmarks; for example

http://www.roh.org.uk/productions

http://www.roh.org.uk/seasons/2018-19

http://www.roh.org.uk/news

http://www.roh.org.uk/learning/insights

Sadly, those links now take me (on Safari on MacBook Air) to the new, virtually unusable, version of the site. 

1 hour ago, yumiko said:

So booking related pages have been hidden.

I meant previous booking related pages have been hidden.

I can’t see any difference or improvement sincec the new looking was expermented.

• Like 1

Unbelievable.  Just tried to confirm timings of the Ballet Studio Live events later on today:

- Calendar doesn't work, so can't do it that way.

- Filtering on Paul Hamlyn Hall didn't bring it up, even if I didn't narrow the search down any further

- Searched on the term, which brought up a number of hits, but when I clicked on the right one - lo and behold, I just got transferred straight back to the Tickets and Events page!

Hopeless.  I'm off to bed - I can't be bothered with this any more.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, daisydance said:

Sadly, those links now take me (on Safari on MacBook Air) to the new, virtually unusable, version of the site. 

Android 8.0.0 on Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge using Chrome (it's also the same using Firefox and the Samsung Internet browser):

http://www.roh.org.uk/seasons/2018-19

IMG_20190315_133408.jpg

Edited by Sophoife
ETA other browsers
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, alison said:

Unbelievable.  Just tried to confirm timings of the Ballet Studio Live events later on today:

- Calendar doesn't work, so can't do it that way.

- Filtering on Paul Hamlyn Hall didn't bring it up, even if I didn't narrow the search down any further

- Searched on the term, which brought up a number of hits, but when I clicked on the right one - lo and behold, I just got transferred straight back to the Tickets and Events page!

Hopeless.  I'm off to bed - I can't be bothered with this any more.

Alison this link may work....https://www.roh.org.uk/functions/ballet-studio-live

I got there  via main page -  click "find an event"-  click "see all ballet and dance" - click "Ballet Studio Live".  

Anyway it's Class at 10:30 am (1hr 15 min), and Rehearsals at 12:15 and 13:35  (50 mins each). No intervals.

"What's On" was so much better!

Why are the silly pictures SO large????? Could they not have a button to push for people with challenged sight???  Why do these filters not stick after you use them once.  Couldn't you stay on them until you choose to change.  I can see the General Booking is going to be a nightmare if they don't clean - certainly clear up - their act.  Bad show ROH. 

• Like 14

I had reason to make a complaint yesterday to customer services, and realised that the "Contact Us" link on the website is now impossible to find.  I ended up using the search engine, but you would think it was one of the really fundamental things you should be able to click on from the home page.

• Like 8