New ROH website - 2019 and 2022 versions

2 hours ago, alison said:

I'm using Internet Explorer, and still on the old version, thank heavens!

My private laptop has both Internet Explorer and Chrome.

The former shows this new looking site

The latter still shows the current site.

I also use my laptop and desk top at work use Internet Explorer.

Both display the current site.

It is random.

Ian

This is my answer to you.

I have a few devices.

It is only my laptop with IE shows the new site.

*edited to add reply to Ian.

Edited by yumiko

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

Yumiko that's exactly what my screen looks like!! It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so BIG ....I preferred the little "thumbprints" so you could get a lot on one page so to speak so see much more quickly a lot of programmes at a glance.

unfortunately I only have an IPad so have to use the "mobile" option ....for booking too which drives me mad as someone said having to stab at little dots!! I usually have to enlarge the screen page of the seating plan to make it easier to get the right dot but sometimes this can be a nightmare as it zooms up too much and end up with a tiny section of the area looking at....then can't get it back to normal  grrr. The irony is that sometimes the dots light up only after an awful LOT of pressing on them ...but then by accident a knuckle will just lightly catch the screen and a dot lights up that  I DON'T want with hardly any effort!!

Im still hoping there's a secret shortcut that I haven't discovered yet.

If you have got just one device, I can only think one option.

After opening menu click "News", "Learning", "Support us" or "About us".

Then scroll down to the bottom.

You would see season currendar.

From there either you pick up the production/event you are after or open event calendar.

If you choose event calendar, you may need to filter categories.

I can't think other options.

Once you pick up a programme you are after, go to the top of the page.

Click "Production".

All forthcoming main performances will line up.

*edited to add further tips.

Edited by yumiko
  • Like 1

Ian Macmillan ....until a few days ago that's what I always had when I went into the ROH but now sadly no more.

I use an Apple IPad with Safari and have done for the last six years!! 

I have no idea why this changed but I wish it would go back to the one you posted above!!

My Android tablet has not changed yet. 

On my desktop I use Windows 10...I  now get  the new Tickets and Events page (which seems to be the new  and less user-friendly What's On page) on Microsoft Edge, but not on Chrome  unless I type in the relevant  address as in

https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events

12 hours ago, LinMM said:

I'm still hoping there's a secret shortcut that I haven't discovered yet.

Hopefully you can use these links to directly access other  relevant existing pages, from either browser, and save them as bookmarks; for example

http://www.roh.org.uk/productions

http://www.roh.org.uk/seasons/2018-19

http://www.roh.org.uk/news

http://www.roh.org.uk/learning/insights

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 3

I've got IE11 on my laptop and Samsung IE on my phone. Both had bookmarks set to "events" to avoid the home page that the ROH introduced a few months ago. This worked as expected until ... a couple of weeks ago, the events page on my phone switched to the new layout even though there were no changes to the set up of my phone at the time. I called myself lucky as at least my laptop still displayed the previous layout until ... just this morning, this also showed the new layout - again, without there being any changes to the set up of my laptop.

So thank you, Richard, for mentioning the links in your posts above, I've now changed the bookmark on both devices to show the productions page, and it works :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ian Macmillan said:

Well, it's beyond me how system-sensitive the same original layout can be.

It's pretty standard these days for websites to be able to detect the nature of the device that you're using and adapt their display accordingly. Effectively that relies on having several potential versions of the site sitting on top of each other and presumably, in this case, the coding changes needed for different screen sizes haven't been completed which is why there seems to be a mish-mash.

• Like 1

As I mentioned above, earlier today using  on Microsoft Edge "Find an Event" on the front page   was defaulting to the new Tickets and Events page rather than the What's On page.

Now though (still using Microsoft Edge) clicking on "Find an Event" (or using the link below)  it  does what it should, i.e. goes  to the What's On page. It seems they must have changed it back during the day. 

https://www.roh.org.uk/events

Edited by Richard LH

My eyes, my eyes. It burns.

I can't believe anyone would design a page that image heavy and content light in terms of screen space. The new layout shows the grand total of one (1) event per 'horizontal iPad' screen vs six (6) events on the old layout, meaning I have to scroll 6 times as much to see the same amount of information. That's just daft.

DAFT.

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Coated said:

My eyes, my eyes. It burns.

I can't believe anyone would design a page that image heavy and content light in terms of screen space. The new layout shows the grand total of one (1) event per 'horizontal iPad' screen vs six (6) events on the old layout, meaning I have to scroll 6 times as much to see the same amount of information. That's just daft.

DAFT.

Exacyly.

I accessed ‘Visit us’ section via my mobile phone just now.

Somehow only this section shows the new looking page on my mobile at the moment.

The new look is designed for  smart phones. 

Although the header is eye harting font size, it works better than computers on the surface.

But once you try to look for the event could be another thing.

A lot of websites offer both pc and mobile version.

I hope we could choose the display. 

I imagine they are continuing the random trialling of the new look website. I did get a version of this, then it reverted back to the old one. 

You might get a box popping up (if you get the new-look screens) asking for your feedback on the new screens (I did) -  do let them know what the experience was like for you. 

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, yumiko said:

ROH website display has gone back to the familiar display.

What a struggle and frustration I experienced for the last few weeks.

I’ve still got the new home page with the swirly ‘Open’ picture but, thankfully, when I go to What’s On it’s back to the old page where I can see more than one production at a glance. Happy days! 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Hooray I've got the old display back again too....hope this is now permanent.... and after the "trial" they are not going to just have a pause then roll out the new to all!!! 

I was thinking exactly the same. 

• 2 weeks later...

New version on my work computer’s Chrome browser....while I would never normally complain about a nice pic of Yuhui as Lise used as a link to see all ballet and dance it leads to way too much scrolling 

• Like 1

Truly ghastly (it's the first time I've had the misfortune to have this inflicted on me).  I clicked on the "Productions" link, only to find myself on the "tickets and events" page, so now I have to make a deliberate choice between dance, opera, insights (I think it was) and other events.  There's no way of having an overview of what productions etc. are on so that I can pick and choose between them.  (You know, if I were a newbie, thinking I might like to attend a performance at the ROH, but being unsure what to select).  Far too much scrolling, clicking back and forth and so on.

Just wondering what approach to take when the next round of public booking opens ...  Quite frankly, if anything were to discourage me from booking at the ROH, all this hassle would be it.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Thalia said:

Yes, nothing is ‘at a glance’ now. 

I mean seriously, who needs a full page photo to illustrate each event on a page with FORTY ONE events!!!??? What were they thinking!!? 

• Like 6

I propose you open up an ‘incognito’ tab on your browser so that every time you refresh the page a new ‘feedback’ pop up....err...pops up...and you can stress the point an appropriate number of times in different ways 

• Like 4