New ROH website - 2019 and 2022 versions

18 hours ago, annamk said:

It seems that the ROH website has now migrated to the new seat selection system, only the whole auditorium seat map appeared which at the moment doesn't even seem to work - trying to "grab" a seat is getting me nowhere.

Just the old system when I Iog in, with no seat views. 

Edited by Richard LH

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in there for an RBS Summer Performance ticket and likewise all went well for me - I didn't spot the credit notes but as I was in a hurry (I *may* have been on a work call at the same time...) that's probably me not them.

Really glad to see signs that the problems being resolved - if it holds, well done to the team for turning it around!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lizbie1 said:

I was in there for an RBS Summer Performance ticket and likewise all went well for me - I didn't spot the credit notes but as I was in a hurry (I *may* have been on a work call at the same time...) that's probably me not them.

I did have to look twice...there were the two buttons to press if you wanted to pay by card or Paypal but the credit notes section was subtle... a 'for paying by credit note press here' type thing.

• Thanks 1

I am very pleased with the credit note feature as I have always struggled with trying to find and copy and paste my number. This is super easy. Well done.

I am not quite so keen on the seat plan - and selecting by price rather than by area to narrow it down, but perhaps I'm doing it wrong- and but will get used to it I expect. It works at the moment anyway- so that's an improvement.

I agree with @Mary, the new credit note option is good but I too am not that keen on the new seating plan. I've picked up a row B far side stalls circle for Like Water For Choclate for £31. I'm baffled that row C appears to be £39. Whatever the staging is going to be surely it's not actually possible for row B to have a worse view than row C & therefore be justifiably cheaper?

Thought I'd better copy this here, for the record :(

Important Update About Your Booking

Dear ,

From our records we can see that you attempted to book tickets with us on Tuesday morning as tickets opened for sale for our Summer Season.

Unfortunately, a technical error meant that some orders were inadvertently cancelled minutes after the order was attempted, and monies returned. 

This error has been fixed, but we can see that one of your orders was cancelled and you may not have realised. For example, a confirmation screen with your order number may have been displayed, but a confirmation email was never received. 

To check your tickets please log in to your Royal Opera House account and check your tickets which are listed under 'events'. If you are missing any tickets please rebook online. We apologise for this inconvenience.

We know that some have spotted this error at the time and rebooked the same or slightly different tickets or contacted us to let us know about the error. Thank you, we are grateful for your patience. If you have already been in contact and haven't rebooked, please rebook online.

If we can be of further assistance please email us at boxoffice@roh.org.uk.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for this inconvenience and thank you for your continued support.

Copying an important post here to give further publicity to the ongoing problems. As I have suggested repeatedly (see above) these issues should now be raised at board level. Given the astonishing amounts of money one understands have been spent on the website so far, this is a disgrace:—-

https://www.balletcoforum.com/topic/19491-new-roh-website/?do=findComment&comment=375313

I finally got round to booking tickets for the summer season over the weekend. I had a seamless booking experience and was able to use my credit note from previously purchased them cancelled shows, at the click of a button. Great new feature! 

• Like 1

Another frustrating time…. Its a totally naff looking website, functions poorly & ends up making you ‘panic buy’ whatever seems to make it into & stay in basket long enough to check out. 
Not fit for purpose & frankly an embarrassment for a globally famous brand 

• Like 1

Was on a role & have bought tickets to 3 performances….absolutely no idea yet if I can make any of them…. Divorce may be required first (perhaps he should’ve thought through that buying me a ROH gift card meant I’d be buying tickets which meant I’d be going quite often??!! Could’ve bought 2 top price tickets to one ballet of course….but where’s the fun in that when instead buying tickets ranging in price from £5 to £30 or so means several ballets both main stage & Linbury! 

Edited by Peanut68
Typo

I attempted to buy a ticket on my phone today, something that's not caused me any problems with the old system in the past.  When I tried to use the phone in "landscape" mode, because that seemed to be the more sensible thing to do in order to be able to see the tiers of the seat map properly, half the screen was taken up with the tabs and filters, leaving very little room for you to navigate.  Once I had got the individual seat "blob" large enough to click on, all that happened was that a picture of the view from the seat came up, but no indication of the price.  I don't know if things would have been any better if I'd stayed in "portrait" mode.  I do sometimes find it very difficult with the new seat map to work out what is actually available and what isn't - things I think are available turn out not to be, especially the seats which show up as a letter rather than a circle.

• Like 1

A friend just passed me a note he sent ROH, giving me permission to post it here in case it adds to the discussion. It explains in more detail some of what is now going wrong. 

I am extremely angry at the ineffectiveness of your new booking system. As do many hundreds of your customers, I have, ever since it became possible to book seats online, selected my seats from your seat plan. I have a number of personal criteria which no assistive system can possibly know. I have been coming to the Royal Opera House for many years and am familiar with the characteristics of most of the seats in the house and have some favourites which your fancy algorithms cannot know about.

The booking date for the autumn season is fast approaching and I have just checked the website to see how bookings for the current season  have progressed and discover whether anything takes my fancy. I have been unable to select seats from your seat map. Clicking on an available seat has no effect, so I cannot buy anything. I have randomly been offered a picture of the seat and the view from that seat. They have been of no use in making purchase possible. In any event the picture is of little use when the route for accessing that seat is not shown. Neither is its proximity to an aisle. As to the view from the seat, I know full well that the view from the centre of Row G of the amphitheatre encompasses the whole of the orchestra pit and the stage. The view from seat picture suggests that I cannot even see the stage. That is asinine and to put such nonsense as an obstacle to the purchase of seats is shameful.

I have tried to find a seat for Wednesday's performance of Don Pasquale. The website suggests that you have over 100 seats available and this is borne out by the seating plan. As I have said, I am unable to use that. According to help me find a seat, there are no single seats at any price.

This message needs to go to the highest level so that action can be taken to restore order at the earliest moment.

Should you feel it relevant, I have achieved the identical result using two different browsers on  my Samsung tablet.
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Sebastian said:

A friend just passed me a note he sent ROH, giving me permission to post it here in case it adds to the discussion. It explains in more detail some of what is now going wrong. 

I am extremely angry at the ineffectiveness of your new booking system. As do many hundreds of your customers, I have, ever since it became possible to book seats online, selected my seats from your seat plan. I have a number of personal criteria which no assistive system can possibly know. I have been coming to the Royal Opera House for many years and am familiar with the characteristics of most of the seats in the house and have some favourites which your fancy algorithms cannot know about.

The booking date for the autumn season is fast approaching and I have just checked the website to see how bookings for the current season  have progressed and discover whether anything takes my fancy. I have been unable to select seats from your seat map. Clicking on an available seat has no effect, so I cannot buy anything. I have randomly been offered a picture of the seat and the view from that seat. They have been of no use in making purchase possible. In any event the picture is of little use when the route for accessing that seat is not shown. Neither is its proximity to an aisle. As to the view from the seat, I know full well that the view from the centre of Row G of the amphitheatre encompasses the whole of the orchestra pit and the stage. The view from seat picture suggests that I cannot even see the stage. That is asinine and to put such nonsense as an obstacle to the purchase of seats is shameful.

I have tried to find a seat for Wednesday's performance of Don Pasquale. The website suggests that you have over 100 seats available and this is borne out by the seating plan. As I have said, I am unable to use that. According to help me find a seat, there are no single seats at any price.

This message needs to go to the highest level so that action can be taken to restore order at the earliest moment.

Should you feel it relevant, I have achieved the identical result using two different browsers on  my Samsung tablet.

I didn't encounter  any of these problems when looking, out of interest,  at a theoretical booking of Don Pasquale both on a PC and a tablet. In particular I don't recognise what is being suggested about seat selection and views, which worked fine for me.  Perhaps these were earlier issues that have since been rectified?   

2 hours ago, Sebastian said:

As to the view from the seat, I know full well that the view from the centre of Row G of the amphitheatre encompasses the whole of the orchestra pit and the stage. The view from seat picture suggests that I cannot even see the stage. That is asinine and to put such nonsense as an obstacle to the purchase of seats is shameful.

Looking at the website and seat views I'm really not sure what this person is on about....all seats show you a pic of the stage and orchestra pit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sebastian said:

I've just replicated all of these errors using my phone and using a concert performance in July. Even zooming in I can't click on a seat, and when by some chance combination of clicks that I can't replicate I came to a seat view picture, the top half filled the screen and I could neither scroll down nor zoom out. The "help me find a seat" tool was similarly stating nothing to be available when there were literally hundreds of seats that  are available for the price and area.

These may be intermittent problems - I tried in two different sessions, close together, and the results varied. Everything seems OK on my laptop browser but mobile devices seem to be particularly affected.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sebastian said:

The booking date for the autumn season is fast approaching and I have just checked the website to see how bookings for the current season  have progressed and discover whether anything takes my fancy. I have been unable to select seats from your seat map. Clicking on an available seat has no effect, so I cannot buy anything. I have randomly been offered a picture of the seat and the view from that seat.

This is definitely a valid concern. I also noticed this issue on my laptop when booking for the summer season - unable to click on seats properly in order to select them. Sometimes refreshing the page can solve it - but then of course, you've most likely lost the seats.

1 hour ago, Lizbie1 said:

I've just replicated all of these errors using my phone and using a concert performance in July. Even zooming in I can't click on a seat, and when by some chance combination of clicks that I can't replicate I came to a seat view picture, the top half filled the screen and I could neither scroll down nor zoom out.

This is exactly what I was complaining about yesterday.  Comforting to know that it's not just my phone, but not helpful :(

• Like 1

• alison changed the title to New ROH website - 2019 and 2022 versions

Another problem which I've just realised: the current cinema pages don't give any way of easily finding the Encore showings, unlike the previous version.  I mean, sure, I know which of my local cinemas tend to do them, and can visit their individual websites and look, but something has cropped up which means I'm unlikely to be able to watch Swan Lake in the cinema tomorrow, and I need to know now what my alternative options are so I can adjust my schedule if needed.

Guest oncnp
3 hours ago, alison said:

Another problem which I've just realised: the current cinema pages don't give any way of easily finding the Encore showings, unlike the previous version.  I mean, sure, I know which of my local cinemas tend to do them, and can visit their individual websites and look, but something has cropped up which means I'm unlikely to be able to watch Swan Lake in the cinema tomorrow, and I need to know now what my alternative options are so I can adjust my schedule if needed.

Odd. It worked for me - put a post code (TW9 3QD - not mine I'm sorry to say but Kew Gardens) in the "Find a cinema" page and it showed both live and recorded dates

Perhaps I should rephrase: I can't filter solely on the Encore performances without all the additional dross getting in the way.  Given that I'm in London, there are an awful lot of cinemas showing it, but many of them aren't doing Encores, and are therefore just getting in the way of my doing an effective search.

Guest oncnp
20 minutes ago, alison said:

Perhaps I should rephrase: I can't filter solely on the Encore performances without all the additional dross getting in the way.  Given that I'm in London, there are an awful lot of cinemas showing it, but many of them aren't doing Encores, and are therefore just getting in the way of my doing an effective search.

Everything within 20 miles of "London"

Stratford Picturehouse   Friday 20 May 2022, 12pm

Clapham Picturehouse   Monday 23 May 2022, 12pm
East Dulwich Picturehouse   Monday 23 May 2022, 12pm
West Norwood Library & Picturehouse Monday 23 May 2022, 12pm

Everyman Esher   Sunday 22 May 2022, 1.40pm
Everyman Oxted   Sunday 22 May 2022, 1.40pm
Everyman Gerrards Cross   Sunday 22 May 2022, 1.40pm
Wyllyotts Theatre   Sunday 22 May 2022, 1pm
Vue West End (Leicester Square)   Sunday 22 May 2022, 2pm
Vue Islington   Sunday 22 May 2022, 2pm
Vue Westfield   Sunday 22 May 2022, 2pm
Empire Walthamstow   Sunday 22 May 2022, 2pm
Empire Sutton   Sunday 22 May 2022, 2pm
Wyllyotts Theatre   Sunday 22 May 2022, 2pm
Vue Romford   Sunday 22 May 2022, 2pm
Vue Watford   Sunday 22 May 2022, 2pm
Vue Staines   Sunday 22 May 2022, 2pm
Light Cinema   Sunday 22 May 2022, 2pm
Harlequin Theatre   Sunday 22 May 2022, 2pm
Dorking Halls   Sunday 22 May 2022, 2pm
Garden City Cinema   Sunday 22 May 2022, 2pm
Picturehouse Fulham Road   Sunday 22 May 2022, 3pm

Ritzy Picturehouse   Tuesday 24 May 2022, 12pm
Picturehouse Finsbury Park   Tuesday 24 May 2022, 12pm
Crouch End Picturehouse   Tuesday 24 May 2022, 12pm
Greenwich Picturehouse   Tuesday 24 May 2022, 12pm
Picturehouse Bromley   Tuesday 24 May 2022, 2.30pm
Olympic Cinema   Tuesday 24 May 2022, 7.15pm

I’ve just booked a ticket at the Linbury for the younger generation programme in June but am very glad was chatting to a friend on the phone yesterday as otherwise would have been very puzzled on how to book this ticket!! 
This is because when you go into the Linbury event to book it the whole main auditorium of the ROH comes up but not the Linbury!! I was told to tap on this main auditorium and then the Linbury comes up…which it did.. but would have had no idea otherwise. 
Wouldn’t it be simpler if you are booking tickets for Linbury events for just that auditorium to come up anyway 🤔

7 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I’ve just booked a ticket at the Linbury for the younger generation programme in June but am very glad was chatting to a friend on the phone yesterday as otherwise would have been very puzzled on how to book this ticket!! 
This is because when you go into the Linbury event to book it the whole main auditorium of the ROH comes up but not the Linbury!! I was told to tap on this main auditorium and then the Linbury comes up…which it did.. but would have had no idea otherwise. 
Wouldn’t it be simpler if you are booking tickets for Linbury events for just that auditorium to come up anyway 🤔

It's just a picture to show the difference between using the seating plan to choose your own seat as opposed to the "best available" (which seldom is...).

Bug in the new seat picker:

Several times in the last few days I have tried to book seats using the new seat picker.  I found that clicking on the seat,  the window (showing the seat details, view from seat and the button for selecting), did not appear.  I just supposed that the seat wasn't available. 

By accident I found that if I used the browser Microsoft Edge instead of my usual Chrome, it worked and the seat details did appear allowing selection.  

I was trying to book seats for the Linbury Theatre.  

I've emailed ROH to let them look at the issue.  

Has anyone else had the same problem? 
  • Like 1

I was looking at "Chocolate" earlier and thought the seating plan looked odd.  There were some end seats missing from the view, which could mislead people into thinking they are buying an end seat when they aren't.