New ROH website - 2019 and 2022 versions

4 minutes ago, Margaret said:

My PC is still showing the large pictures - how can I change to the one you are describing?

Maybe choose “list view”?

The pictures are still too big IMO for such a description, but at least it’s a step in the right direction. They could also make the “Tickets & events” header a lot smaller - it’s pointlessly large as things stand.

• Like 4

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

With the new site, if I reduce PC screen size to 67% I get 5 events per  screen still with  a readable view, which is  not too bad. 

Forgive me, but I consider it poor practice if one has to go to such lengths (e.g., reset your machine to 67%) to make the ROH site personally practicable for you.   

• Like 7

2 hours ago, JohnS said:

Not only was the website not broken - it was considered excellent by many people, judging from comments here and conversations with audience members.  Perhaps not scientific as a measure of satisfaction so I’d be interested to know if the ROH received negative feedback on its old website which might have justified a change.  I quite like the Open Up designs but surely those could have been incorporated without changing the functionality of the old website?

I too liked the old website, but it wasn’t universally loved: a friend of mine had been complaining about it for ages (though he doesn’t find the new one an improvement).

I’ve bored on about this in the past, but very often websites have to be replaced for reasons not obvious to the end consumer, such as licensing costs, difficulty of maintenance and security concerns. Very often even an expensive new website can justify the outlay within a year or two through cost savings on licences, hosting and the effort needed to prop up a site which has exceeded its shelf life.

FWIW, my suspicion is that the problems we have seen over the last few years are a result of trying to do it on the cheap.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

Forgive me, but I consider it poor practice if one has to go to such lengths (e.g., reset your machine to 67%) to make the ROH site personally practicable for you.   

It isn't ideal, Bruce, but I would not describe it quite as dramatically as resetting  my PC - I  just use  Ctrl with  + / -  keys to adjust the screen size up or down as and when!

It is more of a problem on my (Android) tablet, though, as that has to be restarted  to change the screen display size, and doing that doesn't seem to make much difference anyway. Also if the tablet is in portrait mode it doesn't show the "List View" option. "List View" shows in landscape mode but that is not convenient, and barely shows more than one event per screen even then. 

8 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

It isn't ideal, Bruce, but I would not describe it quite as dramatically as resetting  my PC - I  just use  Ctrl with  + / -  keys to adjust the screen size up or down as and when!

It is more of a problem on my (Android) tablet, though, as that has to be restarted  to change the screen display size, and doing that doesn't seem to make much difference anyway. Also if the tablet is in portrait mode it doesn't show the "List View" option. "List View" shows in landscape mode but that is not convenient, and barely shows more than one event per screen even then. 

If you’re using Chrome for Android have you tried enabling the “Force enable zoom” setting (under Settings / Accessibility, I think)? You should be able to zoom in or out then.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

If you’re using Chrome for Android have you tried enabling the “Force enable zoom” setting (under Settings / Accessibility, I think)? You should be able to zoom in or out then.

Thanks Lizbie, but I find that only lets me zoom in, not out. I don't need to make the ROH events display any bigger !

• Like 1

For crying out loud - it's absolutely ridiculous that we're all trying to work out how to get access to basic information on this abominable new site. For God's Sake ROH, scrap it and revert to the old site. You actually had got it right there!!!!

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Your first suggestion got me fiddling around a bit, and I now find that if I open the three dots in the top right of the Chrome for Android screen there is a "desktop site" box which if selected makes everything nice and small (after which I can zoom in or out as required using two fingers, so to speak) and also shows  the "List View" option on the ROH site in portrait mode.  

So thanks again...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Your first suggestion got me fiddling around a bit, and I now find that if I open the three dots in the top right of the Chrome for Android screen there is a "desktop site" box which if selected makes everything nice and small (after which I can zoom in or out as required using two fingers, so to speak) and also shows  the "List View" option on the ROH site in portrait mode.  

So thanks again...

I’d forgotten about that - it’s my first port of call on a tablet.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, David said:

For crying out loud - it's absolutely ridiculous that we're all trying to work out how to get access to basic information on this abominable new site. For God's Sake ROH, scrap it and revert to the old site. You actually had got it right there!!!!

I do agree, but at least  the List View thing  is  a helpful feature - and the ability to change a  tablet view to a website view  (not just for the ROH site) is very welcome, and is my technological learning point  of the day! 

They have certainly tweaked something for the better today; I'm not techie enough to know what, but for a long time (about a year?) the production pages haven't loaded properly on my work computer - displaying in plain text and with the frames all wrong, whether I used Firefox or IE. Today, they're suddenly fine.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, alison said:

So, people are saying they need to enable a "desktop" view on a phone, is that right?  (Personally, I'd appreciate being able to enable a "desktop" view on my ... desktops, or other laptops!)

I think this is more about tablets: the website detects that you are looking at a mobile device and gives you a “mobile” layout. Unfortunately, when your “mobile device” is a tablet, the desktop version is often more appropriate so you have to override that decision.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lizbie1 said:

I think this is more about tablets: the website detects that you are looking at a mobile device and gives you a “mobile” layout. Unfortunately, when your “mobile device” is a tablet, the desktop version is often more appropriate so you have to override that decision.

Exactly.  (I actually find the new website works quite well on a smart-phone.)

1 minute ago, bangorballetboy said:

Exactly.  (I actually find the new website works quite well on a smart-phone.)

But I rather thought bangorballetboy’s advice at some point fairly recently was to use google to find production details, given the poor functionality of the website?  Getting a reasonable display of the website is all well and good but I’m afraid still doesn't help access a simple calendar.

5 minutes ago, JohnS said:

But I rather thought bangorballetboy’s advice at some point fairly recently was to use google to find production details, given the poor functionality of the website?  Getting a reasonable display of the website is all well and good but I’m afraid still doesn't help access a simple calendar.

It was (and I still use that advice, or bookmarked pages, when working on the desktop).   

• Like 1

It is slowly getting better, at least on my lap-top, I like the choice of smaller size, but having to apply filters is still cumbersome, needing ballet, main stage, evening and afternoon, season(s) just to get the Bolshoi,  it would make it much easier to have a tab just for them, lots of people probably give up!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Richard LH said:

So thanks again...

Always willing to try things out. My tablet is an Ipad, which uses Safari. Does anyone have a similar fix for this set up (I have no three dots)?

12 minutes ago, Sebastian said:

Always willing to try things out. My tablet is an Ipad, which uses Safari. Does anyone have a similar fix for this set up (I have no three dots)?

You can download Chrome to your iPad. My iPad also has Safari but, since I wanted to be able to access the bookmarks I have on my PC, I downloaded Chrome as well.  Although I’ve never used them, I’ve just checked and I have the three dots which give you the option of  requesting the desktop site.

Edited by Bluebird

1 hour ago, Bluebird said:

You can download Chrome to your iPad. My iPad also has Safari but, since I wanted to be able to access the bookmarks I have on my PC, I downloaded Chrome as well.  Although I’ve never used them, I’ve just checked and I have the three dots which give you the option of  requesting the desktop site.

Many thanks Bluebird. Just wondering, have people with experience of Chrome had bad experiences with it (away from ROH I mean)? I don't have Chrome yet after having been repeatedly warned that it is some form of devilish invention (eg making Google even more obviously intrusive and creepy)? This may be unnecessary techno-anxiety but the advice was widespread when Chrome was new so I'd be glad of any informed comments.

32 minutes ago, Sebastian said:

Many thanks Bluebird. Just wondering, have people with experience of Chrome had bad experiences with it (away from ROH I mean)? I don't have Chrome yet after having been repeatedly warned that it is some form of devilish invention (eg making Google even more obviously intrusive and creepy)? This may be unnecessary techno-anxiety but the advice was widespread when Chrome was new so I'd be glad of any informed comments.

If this worries you you can change various settings to limit the information it gathers. You can also choose not to be signed in on Chrome, though of course this means that it won't be able to remember your bookmarks, logins and history from other devices.

I'm not entirely comfortable with some of the decisions Google makes, but a lot of the creepy/intrusive stuff (such as advertisements for the exact products you've been looking at following you around to other sites) is down to advertisers' cookies, not the browser. You can take certain measures to counteract this, such as through http://www.youronlinechoices.com/uk/your-ad-choices. It's also worth remembering that under GDPR, businesses can't make your information available to others without your explicit consent.

As a default Android user, after trying for six months to get along with Safari on my work-issued iPhone I ended up downloading Chrome (I don't know if it's just me, but I found conducting searches on Safari very frustrating in various ways). Others here might recommend Firefox, which I'm rather out of touch with right now.

• Like 3

I have just received an email from the ROH which indicates they are making changes to address many of the issues that have been raised, including better filters, smaller images for less scrolling, and better information about casting and about past events. Hopefully goods news.....

• Like 5

I guess I also have the same quite lengthy email.  I’m particularly taken with changes to include:

“- a list of what is on today/this week”

Hopefully we may get the calendar back!

• Like 2

That's good to hear.

What isn't so good to hear is that the ROH website is no longer storing your credit card details - as I found out to my cost today :(   That was a feature I really appreciated, because it meant that I could buy things online at a moment's notice without having to worry unduly about whether or not I was on insecure WiFi while inputting my card details.  And unfortunately it's happened at a time when I'm trying to pick up odd cheap seats for Romeo & Juliet, so am having to use it quite a lot :(   I'm quite surprised not to have seen an announcement on the website about this (or perhaps it's just somewhere where I haven't seen it?) 

• Like 1

You can now bookmark filter choices which is helpful.

11 minutes ago, alison said:

the ROH website is no longer storing your credit card details

Alison would it help if you paid for your  ROH tickets using the Pay Pal option? 

36 minutes ago, alison said:

I've no idea, Richard.  Would it?  How is that better than WorldPay?

I certainly find it convenient and speedy just to click  the Pay Pal option where  my card details are already stored within my Pay Pal account. 

EDIT Thanks to Bluebird's post ......it seems WorldPay  requires you to enter card details each time.

Edited by Richard LH
Clarification

56 minutes ago, alison said:

What isn't so good to hear is that the ROH website is no longer storing your credit card details - as I found out to my cost today :(   That was a feature I really appreciated, because it meant that I could buy things online at a moment's notice without having to worry unduly about whether or not I was on insecure WiFi while inputting my card details.  And unfortunately it's happened at a time when I'm trying to pick up odd cheap seats for Romeo & Juliet, so am having to use it quite a lot :(   I'm quite surprised not to have seen an announcement on the website about this (or perhaps it's just somewhere where I haven't seen it?) 

I had the same experience this morning so I wrote to the Online booking team and received the following reply:

"The company that processes our online card payments, Worldpay, has made a change to their security procedures. Card information is no longer stored, meaning that all customers will need to re-enter payment details each time they make a purchase. The change was required for Worldpay's Payment Card Industry (PCI) compliance.

We disabled the feature on 25 April and although we may reintroduce this at some point in the future, there are no immediate plans to do so."

Edited by Bluebird

Just now, Bluebird said:

I also had this experience this morning so I wrote to the Online booking team and received this reply:

"The company that processes our online card payments, Worldpay, has made a change to their security procedures. Card information is no longer stored, meaning that all customers will need to re-enter payment details each time they make a purchase. The change was required for Worldpay's Payment Card Industry (PCI) compliance.

We disabled the feature on 25 April and although we may reintroduce this at some point in the future, there are no immediate plans to do so."

I don’t want to be cynical but that looks like a very carefully worded statement to me. My guess is that the ROH, rather than Worldpay, were struggling with the necessary security compliance. (I can’t find anything to suggest that Worldpay has made any such major changes.)

On a positive note, however, at least they have taken measures to prevent a potential problem.

• Like 1