KeepDancing!!

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, tutugirl said:

Congratulations Ms Sunshine .

My pupil also has MDS for Hammond year 7 !! Same boat as you , in that we are waiting on Tring and Elmhurst !!

I thought Tring would be quicker than this but there are so few MDS there , we are not optimistic for that one , even though she did get a physio check .

Which school is your daughter’s first choice ?

They may end up together - and they probably know each other from the ‘ circuit ‘ !

All the best for your other results anyway .

Tutugirl

I know it funny as we were physio at Tring as well. Recall at white lodge. My friends dd also on Tring physio asked them yesterday about results. 2-3 weeks by post was the answer. We will get Elmhurst before that! Tring has always been the top of our list. But I think my dd might want Elmhurst more. Im just happy she has Hammond. Can any schools allow ma for year 7 as well? Xx

I think that with the hours and level of training at full time vocational schools, MAs would be superfluous. A DC going out for associate classes every weekend would miss vital rest time and social time with their classmates. In a way, it seems better somehow to leave the associate spots for DC who are not able to have full time training for whatever reason.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Dancermum2003 said:

They do. I know of two girls who did Royal SA’s.

It is not current school policy to allow any extra lessons/ private/ associates. The pupils concerned were exceptions to the rule and had special permission which was hard fought.

I wouldn’t worry about mistakes .

The panel have already had a look at her , at the preliminaries .

What seem like ‘ lots of mistakes ‘ to the candidate - is probably just a little slip or two .

The physio check will reveal her facility etc . Musicality and coordibation can easily be assessed - regardless of mistakes!

I really wouldn’t worry 

1 hour ago, AuditionIngenu said:

My DD had a lovely day at the Elmhurst final audition but had been ill for a week before and made mistakes. Any consoling words to pass on to her? I am surprised by how badly she has taken it.

Mistakes wont make any difference to the outcome, they’re looking for potential, not a polished performance. 

6 hours ago, valentina said:

It is not current school policy to allow any extra lessons/ private/ associates. The pupils concerned were exceptions to the rule and had special permission which was hard fought.

Didn't I read on this forum a while back  that nearly all FT Vocational students also take additional Associates/Private lessons on the quiet as well as their main schooling ,even though they are technically not allowed to, and the school where pupils did this the most was students at White Lodge?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PenguinBoysMum said:

Can't quite believe I'm posting this but DS has been offered an MDS place at Hammond for year 8!!!

It's already been a long journey of nos and he's worked so hard for this I am so proud of his resilience.

To those who have received nos this time round, don't give up hope.

xx

Magnificent news excellent 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Lisa O`Brien said:

Didn't I read on this forum a while back  that nearly all FT Vocational students also take additional Associates/Private lessons on the quiet as well as their main schooling ,even though they are technically not allowed to, and the school where pupils did this the most was students at White Lodge?

I have no experience at White Lodge but it would be very difficult for children at other schools to disappear off to weekly or fortnightly associates without attracting attention unless they were held on a Saturday afternoon/Sunday and they had local parents to take them. 

2 minutes ago, Picturesinthefirelight said:

I have no experience at White Lodge but it would be very difficult for children at other schools to disappear off to weekly or fortnightly associates without attracting attention unless they were held on a Saturday afternoon/Sunday and they had local parents to take them. 

Maybe it was just Upper School students doing this then. I know somebody on here said nearly all the serious ballet students took additional classes outside of their vocational school, and that because some did it others felt they ought to do it too, to keep up.

1 hour ago, Lisa O`Brien said:

Private lessons/ workshops are one thing, but for most associates, you need the permission and signature of your teacher/ dance director.

• Like 1

Many dancers, particularly those who feel they are not appreciated and are not receiving enough corrections where they are training, try to add suplementary classes.  Some ask permission, some don't bother.  Some Associate schemes actually boast that they have pupils from Vocational schools taking part!

• Like 2

I know it's a while since my son was at WL and Elmhurst, but none of his classmates took "associate" Saturday classes. Some did summer schools but not all (we were all broke - couldn't afford it on top lol)

• Like 2

I know one who was at vocational school but also attended RBS MA which meant they had to travel 2.5 hours from London every week to get to their associate centre to then go home! Seemed like madness, especially annoying as if they had declined the place one of the waitlist kids would have had a shot- and at that time I had one sat on the waitlist 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bluebird22 said:

I know one who was at vocational school but also attended RBS MA which meant they had to travel 2.5 hours from London every week to get to their associate centre to then go home! Seemed like madness, especially annoying as if they had declined the place one of the waitlist kids would have had a shot- and at that time I had one sat on the waitlist 

My dd was on the swl last year unfortunately no place came available , it would be her absolute dream to get an MA place this year... It is so precious to those dc that attend state schools and attend regular dance classes locally.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, NicolaP17 said:

My dd was on the swl last year unfortunately no place came available , it would be her absolute dream to get an MA place this year... It is so precious to those dc that attend state schools and attend regular dance classes locally.

Good luck to her 🍀

wjen are the ma and sa results being sent out?

20 hours ago, Pas de Quatre said:

Many dancers, particularly those who feel they are not appreciated and are not receiving enough corrections where they are training, try to add suplementary classes.  Some ask permission, some don't bother.  Some Associate schemes actually boast that they have pupils from Vocational schools taking part!

I honestly think it is selfish for vocational students too take up associate places where other DC could do them

just my thought

also Yda strict about pupils not going other things but we know about kids who have done competitions and shows with other dance schools 

its an unfair workd

we are still deciding about Yda fir next year 

looks good and that confirmed for us to use midweek 

1 hour ago, Mumofdancegirls said:

I honestly think it is selfish for vocational students too take up associate places where other DC could do them

just my thought

also Yda strict about pupils not going other things but we know about kids who have done competitions and shows with other dance schools 

its an unfair workd

we are still deciding about Yda fir next year 

looks good and that confirmed for us to use midweek 

I suppose the reality is that it IS unfair, and that's life. Those with more money and opportunities will be determined to "make it" at the expense of someone else. I guess many children and parents probably feel they will do absolutely whatever it takes to be given an advantage. The same with academics, I guess.

• Like 1

Yda have Saturday morning classes for those who aren’t associates with royal. Most vocational schools have Saturday morning classes. If a child at Yda is an associate at royal they do those classes instead of Saturday morning classes with Yda not as well as.

I think if a child auditions for royal associates and gets a place then they are deserving of that place, they will have been given the place on merit.

Many things about the ballet world may not seem fair but ultimately it is a competitive world and if your child is training for a potential career in classical dance you have to get used to that and the fact that places at any vocational school or prestigious associate scheme are hard to come by.

• Like 2