Good luck/Audition Results 2019

KeepDancing!!

On 06/02/2019 at 18:57, dancefanatic said:

With ref to a Y8 finals place, my DD was in this situation 3 years ago when she was one of six lucky enough to be invited to finals to compete for the one place available. I understood at that time that 5 had been invited the year before so it will be a very select few recalled. Hope that helps for those among us (myself included) who find the stats  useful!

Congrats to all so far. 

I can confirm dancefanatic, four years ago there were only four  invited to finals for year 8 WL, two  girls from the UK, a Spanish girl and a Swede. unfortunately none of them were selected.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Vonrothbart said:

I can confirm dancefanatic, four years ago there were only four  invited to finals for year 8 WL, two  girls from the UK, a Spanish girl and a Swede. unfortunately none of them were selected.

Hi - so did they just leave that year with an empty place, then? How strange. 

26 minutes ago, Crazylife said:

I don’t think there is ever a set number of places in each year at RBS. My uderstanding is that they make space for someone they feel will suit their particular form of training, and each year has different numbers of students. 

Evidenced by places being offered from Summer School and after the start of the school year.  Could it be that MDS numbers are limited but if you don’t need funding there are still places for those they want or are from overseas?

32 minutes ago, Pas de Quatre said:

Much of it comes down to the number of beds available as most are boarders. So if the year 8 place isn't filled they may take another dancer from a different year.

They don’t mix dorms - if a space is available in Year 8 next year, it won’t be given to another year student based on beds. RBS is a very particular style of ballet and if they see someone they want, they find a space and add beds. If they don’t see what they want, they will leave empty spaces. Spare beds are often used for international exchange students and as was mentioned previously, students can be chosen and offered a place at any time.

So the simple fact is that there is always a chance of a place for the right person, so never give up on the dream. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, junedancer said:

Evidenced by places being offered from Summer School and after the start of the school year.  Could it be that MDS numbers are limited but if you don’t need funding there are still places for those they want or are from overseas?

Correct - last year, a place was offered from summer school to an international student and then another student in that year left part way through the year. It can be very fluid. I don’t think it’s down to MDS, just talent.

They audition throughout the world and invite students for trial from the big international competitions.

Best advice - do not try to overthink it and annalyse. We will never understand the full story. 

If it’s a no - now or at final then see it as a not yet, and if it’s a yes for finals, enjoy the experience. 

32 minutes ago, abitwornout said:

Can’t quite believe I’m typing this , My dd has finals for upper school . I’m so very happy for her . We just didn’t expect this. 

Amazing news! Congratulations!!

@Dancer123 isn't it just? Love the good news posts starting to trickle through!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, richieN said:

DD applied for Yr9 intake at White Lodge, and has now been invited to the finals in March.

Eeeek !!!!

46 minutes ago, abitwornout said:

Can’t quite believe I’m typing this , My dd has finals for upper school . I’m so very happy for her . We just didn’t expect this. 

Many congratulations to you all, So lovely to hear some good news. I've got another day of frantically checking, I think I know its a NO but even so! Lol. Where did your DC audition?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richieN said:

DD applied for Yr9 intake at White Lodge, and has now been invited to the finals in March.

Eeeek !!!!

That's fantastic news, richieN! Very well done! Do you mind if I ask, has your DD been going as an Associate? My DD was at the same prelim audition and said there were a couple of Associates who knew the teacher and one in particular really stood out - maybe it was your DD! Good luck!! :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tutugirl said:

That’s amazing news congratulations !

May I ask to those who have finals for year 9 - upper school - are your DD currently at vocational schools ?

DD is at Centre pointe, which is a vocational college in Manchester. They do normal evening classes. I highly recommend them.

• Like 2

White Lodge current students have their assessments next week. Some year groups do currently have spare beds but as has already been said they don’t mix year groups. One year group has been told places have already been offered to international students for September and to that they should think about plan B. 

It’s just as difficult time for those already there as for those auditioning. 

Apologies because this is off topic but hopefully confirms some of the questions being asked. 

Good luck eveyone. 

Edited by Pointetoes
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pointetoes said:

White Lodge current students have their assessments next week. Some year groups do currently have spare beds but as has already been said they don’t mix year groups. One year group has been told places have already been offered to international students for September and to that they should think about plan B. 

Oh this is so sad, it’s so tough this dance world x

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Pointetoes said:

Apologies because this is off topic but hopefully confirms some of the questions being asked. 

Good luck eveyone. 

Pointetoes is that the entire year group that will be replaced, or just that they are getting notifications that some of them might be, a bit like redundancy notices at work 😱 Sorry if I’m being a bit dim!

Edited by Dopedeedoo

Sorry I should have been clearer, They have been told to have plan B in case they some of them don’t do well enough in their  assessment. This is across year groups, not just the year group who know international students have been offered places. 

Tbh I don’t know how they all cope with being assessed each year, I really admire the children and their families. 

• Like 1

I agree these vocational students do cope well in general with appraisals especially when you read the Frenzie that happens each year on here trying to find out if there are beds, places etc at White Lodge. I have a child there and I still find it incredible that parents are hoping their children gain a place by discussing beds, spaces or assessing out. 

If they want your dancer they want them and that is it! No point in going round in circles. 

There are many paths to Rome and it’s all hard work!

12 minutes ago, Pointytoes said:

I agree these vocational students do cope well in general with appraisals especially when you read the Frenzie that happens each year on here trying to find out if there are beds, places etc at White Lodge. I have a child there and I still find it incredible that parents are hoping their children gain a place by discussing beds, spaces or assessing out. 

If they want your dancer they want them and that is it! No point in going round in circles. 

There are many paths to Rome and it’s all hard work!

This is definitely something to bear in mind when discussing anything other than Year 7 vocational places. To speculate about places becoming available in other year groups makes tough reading for those of us that have children taking appraisals. A place becoming available can be due to heartbreak for our DC or their friend. I wouldn’t wish that on any of them!

• Like 4