GetFile?v=1&signature=rm4nAxWlbHQGNyIoPX        

For immediate release

31 January 2019

Northern Ballet to go live on the silver screen

[Download high resolution images]

Dracula LIVE in cinemas 31 October 2019

Victoria in cinemas 25 June 2019

Northern Ballet is to make its live cinema debut with David Nixon OBE’s Dracula streamed direct to cinemas from the newly redeveloped Leeds Playhouse on Halloween. In addition, Northern Ballet has also announced that Cathy Marston’s Victoria will be screened in cinemas on 25 June 2019 following the ballet’s world première tour. Both productions will be available in cinemas throughout the UK and marks Northern Ballet’s first venture into cinema with its full-length productions. 

This announcement follows Northern Ballet’s cinema debut at the weekend with children’s ballet Tortoise & the Hare. This is due to be followed by screenings of two more of the Company’s children’s ballets, meaning that Northern Ballet will offer a total of five different ballets for cinema audiences during its first year of presenting its productions on the silver screen.

David Nixon OBE, Artistic Director of Northern Ballet, said: ‘As the widest touring ballet company in the UK, Northern Ballet goes further to provide world-class ballet on the doorsteps of people throughout the UK. However, it is not possible to reach everybody with our live tour and so I am delighted that we will be offering Victoria and Dracula to cinema audiences throughout the country to enable even more people to access our productions.

We pride ourselves on being innovative storytellers, pushing the boundaries of what stories can be told through dance and these two ballets are excellent demonstrations of that. In the hands of one of the most exciting choreographers of today, Cathy Marston’s Victoria takes the life of one of our most iconic monarchs and presents her story in a way never seen before. Whilst Draculasees Bram Stoker’s legendary vampire brought to the stage in a ballet full of sensuality and darkness; perfect viewing for Halloween.

We hope that through these cinema screenings, not only will ballet fans have more opportunities to see us perform but that others who may have never seen a ballet before will give it a try and discover a new passion for our art form.’

John Travers, Head of Distribution for CinemaLive, said: ‘For over 10 years now, CinemaLivehave been providing audiences worldwide with access to incredible events through their local cinema. We are delighted to be working in partnership with Northern Ballet to distribute these two exciting productions to cinemas in 2019. Their innovative approach to storytelling looks beyond traditional ballet titles and we are proud to bring this unique and inventive content to the big screen. We look forward to seeing both Victoria and Dracula connect with cinema audiences across the UK and Ireland this year.’

This new project has been made possible by the support of Northern Ballet’s longstanding sponsors first direct bank. Joe Gordon, Head of first direct, said: ‘As proud digital pioneers ourselves, first direct is thrilled to support Northern Ballet’s new digital programme and become their National Stage & Screen Sponsor. It will bring their world-class dance and passionate storytelling to diverse new audiences around the UK and represents an exciting evolution for our new innovative partnership.’

Tickets for Victoria and Dracula in cinemas are on sale now. To find your closest participating cinemas and to book tickets visit northernballet.com/cinema

-ENDS-

Northern Ballet Cinema Screenings (Full-length)

Victoria

25 June 2019

(One night only)

Cinemas nationwide

northernballet.com/cinema

Dracula (LIVE)

31 October 2019

(One night only)

Cinemas nationwide

Northern Ballet Cinema Screenings (Children’s)

Tortoise & the Hare

From 26 January 2019

Cinemas nationwide

Elves & the Shoemaker

From 23 February 2019

Cinemas nationwide

Three Little Pigs

From 23 March 2019

Cinemas nationwide

Northern Ballet

Artistic Director – David Nixon OBE

Northern Ballet is one of the UK’s leading ballet companies and the widest touring ballet company in the UK. Bold and innovative in its approach, Northern Ballet is prolific at creating new full-length work with a unique blend of strong classical technique and world-class storytelling. Northern Ballet’s repertoire embraces popular culture and takes inspiration from literature, legend, opera and the classics, pushing the boundaries of what stories can be told through dance.

A champion for the cultural exports of the North, Leeds-based Northern Ballet is dedicated to bringing world-class story ballets to as many people and places as possible, under the leadership of Artistic Director David Nixon OBE. Northern Ballet’s Company of 43 dancers performs a combination of its full-length ballets and specially created ballets for children at more than 40 venues annually.

For more details of Northern Ballet's tour, on sale dates and booking information, please visit northernballet.com/whatson

National Stage & Screen Sponsor

Image:     Abigail Prudames and Mlindi Kulashe at Everyman Cinema Leeds. Photo Justin Slee.

• Like 5

That's good news for NB: I hope it's successful.  And might also partially help solve the problem of "why on earth are they bringing [ballet 1] to [my local venue] when I wanted to see [ballet 2]", which I frequently suffer from with them!

• Like 1

This seems absolutely good news - one of the few occasions it's possible to say that without any reservations. There are so few ballet companies in England based outside London, and, because of their size and finances, it isn't possible for them to tour everywhere so there are huge swathes of the country unfamiliar with their work and this seems an excellent way for their work to be seen (and appreciated) widely. Whoever in Northern Ballet and/or first direct came up with this idea and carried it through - many, many congratulations!

I'd also like to support Ian Macmillan's comment above.

• Like 6

I thought they'd done a later version though I don't know why they needed to as I really liked the earlier version. I've still got my Northern Ballet Dracula garlic box and a chocolate coffin! I'll certainly be going to see it though. 

• Like 7

Anyone interested in Northern Ballet, Cathy Marston and their new ballet to be premiered in a month will be pleased to know that a special event, 'Victoria- Behind the Veil' will be live streamed on Wednesday 13 February, from 6.30 pm, from the NB website. Check that for any additional information.

• Like 4