ABT's Harlequinade at The Kennedy Center

10 hours ago, Sim said:

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts on American ballet performances;  for those of us who aren't on that side of The Pond it is great to be able to experience them through you!

It makes me happy that you enjoy reading them! Thank you :)

• Like 1

Thank you for the review Travelling Ballerina! I really like Ratmansky's work and love that he is carefully restoring older classics. Harlequinade looks wonderful!  I was fortunate to see his Bayadere in Berlin and his ABT Sleeping Beauty in Paris and his restagings are great. I hope we might see some Ratmansky in the UK but I'm not sure we will so it's good to read reviews such as yours. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Don Q Fan said:

Thank you for the review Travelling Ballerina! I really like Ratmansky's work and love that he is carefully restoring older classics. Harlequinade looks wonderful!  I was fortunate to see his Bayadere in Berlin and his ABT Sleeping Beauty in Paris and his restagings are great. I hope we might see some Ratmansky in the UK but I'm not sure we will so it's good to read reviews such as yours. 

You're welcome, @Don Q Fan! I hope to see more of Ratmansky in the future because I really enjoyed what I saw the other night. Question: I find Sleeping Beauty to often be a bit lengthy for my taste (Prologue, Act I, Act II, Act III...!) Does Ratmansky magically make it move along at a quicker pace? If so, I'm in! Thank you for appreciating my review :)

On 31/01/2019 at 23:13, The Traveling Ballerina said:

You're welcome, @Don Q FanQuestion: I find Sleeping Beauty to often be a bit lengthy for my taste (Prologue, Act I, Act II, Act III...!) Does Ratmansky magically make it move along at a quicker pace? If so, I'm in! 

I think it probably is danced faster and is certainly danced on a lot more demi pointe. I loved the show I saw in Paris that's for sure!! 

• Like 2

On 31/01/2019 at 07:34, The Traveling Ballerina said:

I attended the opening last night and think that Harlequinade is precious. The evening flew as I was thoroughly enjoying myself the entire time. If you're interested, here's my review :) Anyone else attend?

Thank you for the review and the clip. Lovely to hear about Harlequinade  - it sounds like a marvel.

Thanks also for the info that the title role of Ratmansky's version was created for James Whiteside -- very pleased, because his fine dancing aside, he has magnificent dramatic charisma / stage presence. Managed to see him in ABT's Swan Lake (on tour in Singapore) as the wicked enchanter Rothbart (unfortunately I missed his turn as Siegfried) and he was quite perfect -- charismatic, enticing, and seductive. If they ever release this on DVD..!

7 hours ago, squadron said:

Thank you for the review and the clip. Lovely to hear about Harlequinade  - it sounds like a marvel.

Thanks also for the info that the title role of Ratmansky's version was created for James Whiteside -- very pleased, because his fine dancing aside, he has magnificent dramatic charisma / stage presence. Managed to see him in ABT's Swan Lake (on tour in Singapore) as the wicked enchanter Rothbart (unfortunately I missed his turn as Siegfried) and he was quite perfect -- charismatic, enticing, and seductive. If they ever release this on DVD..!

You're welcome, @squadron! I look forward ro seeing Mr. Whiteside more in the future, especially in roles driven by character. Based on our opinions together, it sounds like he has a broad range...something I really appreciate in an artist.

• Like 1