Press Release: BRB Press Release: Birmingham Royal Ballet announces 2019/20 season

3 hours ago, Mary said:

Don't Ballet Black get to Birmingham? I thought they did.

You know a vast amount more about BRB tours than I do- so I am sure you're right- but I can't help feeling there

is a change of focus in the air though.

We will see.

I've seen BB in Birmingham but only in the Patrick Centre.  It will be amazing to see them on the Hippodrome main stage and will give many more people the opportunity to see them.

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I have to say that Senor Acosta impressed me with his enthusiasm and his ambition for the Company.  I suppose it was churlish of me to wish that the Lady/Lord Mayor would announce a sharp increase in the Council's annual grant.  We shall observe all with interest.

• Like 4

Very interesting. Lovely that Sir Peter Wright was there and that Carlos Acosta acknowledged his tremendous contribution. Without reading too much into what we heard,, it came across as more than platitudes, but a general desire to maintain the classical tradition while embracing a more diverse landscape - difficult to pull off, but there is so much goodwill for him to succeed. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 17:27, Jan McNulty said:

Giselle
September – October 2019

Choreography: Marius Petipa, Jean Coralli, Jules Perrot, David Bintley

Music: Adolphe Adam

Production: David Bintley, Galina Samsova

Designs: Hayden Griffin

Lighting: Mark Jonathan

According to this review in today's Links

https://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20190427/dance-review-sarasota-ballets-giselle-satisfying-season-finale

the Sarasota production features "sumptuous sets and costumes recently purchased from the Royal Birmingham Ballet [sic]"

So which production would that be, and what are BRB using?  The costumes shown in the slideshow don't look to me like anything I remember from either BRB's current production or its predecessor (admittedly neither of which I've seen frequently).

It would appear Iain Webb had the sense to acquire the SPW production with designs by Peter Farmer rather than the Bintley/ Samsova later one as designed by Haydn Griffin.  BRB will be using the latter next season.

Edited by Two Pigeons
  • Like 2