Royal Ballet Summer Season casting

3 hours ago, LinMM said:

On my Facebook page today there was a picture of Tierney Heap on a photo shoot ( today) advertising a certain Company's dance gear!!

She was looking very elegant in leotard and pink tights and pointe shoes and although you can't tell from a still photo of course you would never guess she had just had surgery or anything.....she looks as if she could dance out of the photo!! 

I think that must have been an old shoot, in fact, LinMM, because on her Instagram account she's posted photos of herself still bandaged and in a wheelchair today.

• Like 2

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Typical of Facebook I think ....it definitely implied the photo shoot was today ....but wouldn't surprise me if was an old shoot they've re posted etc!

Gosh in a wheel chair that sounds like serious stuff probably not back this season then 

Edited by LinMM

2 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Typical of Facebook I think ....it definitely implied the photo shoot was today ....but wouldn't surprise me if was an old shoot they've re posted etc!

Gosh in a wheel chair that sounds like serious stuff probably not back this season then 

Well I imagine she just has to keep the weight off her leg for a certain period of time; but yes, I'm sure she won't be back this season. Very sad (especially for her!).

On 02/04/2019 at 23:39, bridiem said:

Sounds like a potential new ballet! :) (Well we've had Frankenstein...).

But it hopefully won't be as abominable as Frankenstein! 

The ROH has put photos up on Facebook with Mayara Magri dancing the Firebird with Ryoichi Hirano. So they've gone public with one piece of information about a replacement.

Also, there are several photos of Anna Rose O'Sullivan rehearsing Vera to Vadim Muntagirov's Beliaev. Wow! Did we know she was cast in that role?

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, capybara said:

The ROH has put photos up on Facebook with Mayara Magri dancing the Firebird with Ryoichi Hirano. So they've gone public with one piece of information about a replacement.

Also, there are several photos of Anna Rose O'Sullivan rehearsing Vera to Vadim Muntagirov's Beliaev. Wow! Did we know she was cast in that role?

The web page still has Lauren Cuthbertson listed

3 hours ago, capybara said:

I did wonder if Magri was Heap's replacement when her Instagram story yesterday said Firebird stage rehearsals. I'm now rather regretting not having a ticket for that Firebird cast. If the ROH can put photos on Facebook then why can't they update the website, where Heap is still listed?!

So that's all 3 Veras then: Hayward, Hinkis & O'Sullivan. I wonder if the Month in the Country rehearsal photos are a mix of casts or all one cast, i.e. could Muntagirov now be dancing opposite Nunez?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

. I wonder if the Month in the Country rehearsal photos are a mix of casts or all one cast, i.e. could Muntagirov now be dancing opposite Nunez?

The person dancing Beliaev opposite Nunez is hidden - clearly yet to be announced.

Our records show that you are due to attend a performance of The Firebird / A Month in the Country / Symphony in C. We are contacting you to let you know about the following cast changes:

A Month in the Country
Matthew Ball will replace William Bracewell

Symphony in C
Yuhui Choe will replace Akane Takada
Vadim Muntagirov will replace Steven McRae
Nicol Edmonds will replace Reece Clarke 

• Like 1

I've had this too (wonders will never cease). However, that's only the opening night and I'm booked for all the triples.

Edited to add that the casting for other nights is trickling through as well now (see post below).

Edited by capybara

For June 5th - 

Symphony in C
Fumi Kaneko will replace Lauren Cuthbertson 
Yuhui Choe will replace Akane Takada

I hope Lauren isn't unwell! Due to see her in A Month in the Country on the 12th so hope she is back by then. 

Takada seems to have been off a long time, I hope she's ok and is back soon! 

• Like 1

Still no news about Tierny Heap next Friday...are they hoping she’ll make a full recovery from her op and all the bandages she’s been pictured in this week? Are they completely undecided about whether Yasmine Naghdi or Itziar Mendizabal will replace her? Can someone lend them a coin for tossing purposes? 

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Still no news about Tierny Heap next Friday...are they hoping she’ll make a full recovery from her all the bandages she’s been pictured in this week? Are they completely undecided about whether Yasmine Naghdi or Itziar Mendizabal will replace her? Can someone lend them a coin tossing purposes

I think from instagram etc it looks like Mayara Magri will be replacing her (at least Magri is rehearsing for the firebird role). Agree it's annoying that we have to rely on social media (and this forum) for casting changes. I mean both the forum/instagram etc are brilliant tools for discussion and keeping updated on ballet but casting announcements should be coming from RB first and foremost rather than trying to scrabble around the internet looking for clues for them!

Edited by JNC
  • Like 2

Just now, JNC said:

I think from instagram etc it looks like Mayara Magri will be replacing her. Agree it's annoying that we have to rely on social media (and this forum) for casting changes. I mean both the forum/instagram etc are brilliant tools for discussion and keeping updated on ballet but casting announcements should be coming from RB first and foremost rather than trying to scrabble around the internet looking for clues for them!

Ahh yes I did see that picture, that’s great (if it turns out to be the case)  😀 

I've just had the E-mail about 5th June, so perhaps things are moving, it is ridiculous that they don't announce changes under the News heading for everyone to read, people may want to cancel or go to a performance because of them.

Edited by Beryl H
Posted already
  • Like 2

Magri's now on the website in place of Heap. Whether or not they've sent round an email yet I don't know as I'm not seeing either of those 2 performances.

I'm glad they've finally announced the opening night Symphony in C cast changes. I was starting to wonder if they were going to draw names from a hat on the night, like the ENB's Rite of Spring! I'm both pleased & unsurprised to see Muntagirov replacing McRae - there don't seem to be that many RB men that Osipova dances with so he seemed the obvious option.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Magri's now on the website in place of Heap. Whether or not they've sent round an email yet I don't know as I'm not seeing either of those 2 performances.

e obvious option.

I'm seeing one of them and I've not had an email

Friday 7 June 2019
Our records show that you are due to attend a performance of The Firebird / A Month in the Country / Symphony in C. We are contacting you to let you know about the following cast changes:

The Firebird
Mayara Magri will replace Tierney Heap as The Firebird

Symphony in C
Francesca Hayward will replace Yasmine Naghdi
Alexander Campbell will replace Marcelino Sambé
James Hay will replace Valentino Zucchetti

Wonder if Ms. Osipova will survive the week - Heard she was replaced in the midst of the First Movement/SIC in the dress rehearsal.  Sending best wishes that she might make a rapid and complete recovery.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

Wonder if Ms. Osipova will survive the week - Heard she was replaced in the midst of the First Movement/SIC in the dress rehearsal.  Sending best wishes that she might make a rapid and complete recovery.  

Despite having to stop a couple of times, she somehow managed to complete the First Movement.  She was replaced by Fumi Kaneko in the Finale.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

Osipova resumed dancing in the First Movement but did not reappear in the Fourth Movement. I echo Bruce's sentiments.

• Like 2

Wonder who will replace her if not for a Month in the Country with Hallberg? Nunez or Cuthbertson, or perhaps another (do they usually have a back up 'understudy'?). I hope she recovers so this would be a moot point anyway!

2 hours ago, Bluebird said:

Friday 7 June 2019
Our records show that you are due to attend a performance of The Firebird / A Month in the Country / Symphony in C. We are contacting you to let you know about the following cast changes:

The Firebird
Mayara Magri will replace Tierney Heap as The Firebird

Symphony in C
Francesca Hayward will replace Yasmine Naghdi
Alexander Campbell will replace Marcelino Sambé
James Hay will replace Valentino Zucchetti

It's difficult to keep up with all the Symphony in C cast changes but given the pairings for other performances are Magri/Sambe & Choe/Cambell then has Choe replaced Magri also but they've failed to mention it?

I was at the stage door last Saturday after the Naghdi Ball matinee and saw Yasmine, Marcellino and Zuccetti and they all seemed fine then. I hope it's nothing serious and they will be fit soon both from their point of view and my own as I'm attending three performances of the triple bill the second week. 

• Like 1

Cast changes also occur in order to prevent work/performance overload for some of the dancers, it doesn't automatically mean a dancer is injured.

Yasmine Naghdi is dancing the Opening Night of Firebird tonight and ROH website shows her dancing Symphony in C tomorrow night, her IG post suggested she's dancing with Muntagirov on Saturday 8th June, followed by 11th June R&J live relay and the next day on 12th June she's dancing Firebird again. 

The company must also be in the midst of rehearsing Don Q. too thus many dancers are having a very heavy workload during the day as well as in the evening. The RB Japan tour has already lost one Kitri due to injury; Mr. O'Hare needs to ensure that Naghdi, who is dancing two Kitri performances in Tokyo, remains uninjured. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Xandra Newman said:

Mr. O'Hare needs to ensure that Naghdi, who is dancing two Kitri performances in Tokyo, remains uninjured. 

One assumes that the changes to S in C are, at least partly,  to enable Naghdi to pace herself.