Royal Ballet Summer Season casting

I don't know WHO is in charge of entering the casting information on the ROH website (they have been messing around for months now!) but I wish he/she/they once and for all would be sufficiently briefed and instructed on how to enter casting information correctly according to the importance of roles to be performed. On 4th July Firebird casting should read Naghdi/Watson/Arestis/Avis (to the person in charge of entering the info: what's Mr. Bracewell dancing in this cast :) ???) 

• Like 3

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

Friends booking starts 19 February with patrons booking before then.  General booking is 3 April.  Better cast details before any bookings open would I’m sure be very much appreciated.

And it's better to give no details at all than details which are confusing or incorrect.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Noted. And of course the forthcoming triple bill in May (Within the Golden Hour / New Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui / Flight Pattern) is rather less expensive, the top price being £55.

So that is to be welcomed at least.

However, I see that the top price for the special Fonteyn bill rises to £125! 

Clarification of the  full Summer Season casting, and  full details of Fonteyn bill, is sorely needed.....

Even if Summer season casting cannot yet be fully publicised I think that by now ROH should have been able to release some more information about the potential programme content of the Fonteyn Gala celebration. This omission indicates that perhaps the event has been planned a little belatedly, as discussed in another thread I think.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Darlex said:

I think it's really nice how Arestis and Avis will dance The Firebird and Ivan on the 4th and then swap their roles with Naghdi and Watson to dance the Tsarena and Kotschei on the 12th! 

I don't think that's likely.  Arestis is a principal character artist and more likely to be the princess.

• Like 1

Partial casting information released on a Saturday afternoon and only available on the splash page with nothing on the individual performance pages? Looks like someone pressed the wrong button! I'm sure the full details and pdf will be released early next week (as intended, perhaps). Probably best to treat this as a sneak peek, rather than anything else. 

3 hours ago, JohnS said:

I rather suspect Darlex’s tongue is very much in cheek. 

You got it John S. Possibly the inclusion of that exclamation mark helped! Having said that, it has just occurred to me that as Watson made such a good Carabosse all those years ago in Makarova's Sleeping Beauty, he should make an equally good Kotschei. 

Glad to have proper sized cast sheets at yesterday's matinee and also great to have cast change slips back again (even if slip is the wrong word - they were jumbo sized!) Bravo ROH - getting it back together. Now just sort out your funny ballet casting on your website and don't let ticket price inflation run out of control. 

Edited by Darlex
Exclamation mark explanation.

4 hours ago, Xandra Newman said:

I don't know WHO is in charge of entering the casting information on the ROH website (they have been messing around for months now!) but I wish he/she/they once and for all would be sufficiently briefed and instructed on how to enter casting information correctly according to the importance of roles to be performed. On 4th July Firebird casting should read Naghdi/Watson/Arestis/Avis (to the person in charge of entering the info: what's Mr. Bracewell dancing in this cast :) ???) 

Bracewell is probably the conductor again! 

I've enjoyed all the above comments  ☺️ but I saw Stage Door staff handling a full print-out of the casting on Friday, so I guess that the person who inputs it onto the website reached home time before completing the task. However, it would be nice to have it in an understandable format (i.e. like the paper version I saw, but could not read) rather than what is starting to emerge.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, capybara said:

I've enjoyed all the above comments  ☺️ but I saw Stage Door staff handling a full print-out of the casting on Friday, so I guess that the person who inputs it onto the website reached home time before completing the task. 

I don't know. It would be a bit strange to publish an incomplete version to the website - it's not normally how it's done. Putting things up in a strange order seems to have become the new normal :(

Still, I don't think it will kill us to wait for a week or two longer!

10 hours ago, Don Q Fan said:

It's just such a shame this triple is not being filmed for a cinema really as its such a lovely mix.

I was thinking the exact same thing.
I suspect the Pite/Wheeldon/Cherkaoui triple bill was chosen instead as the other five relays this season are either 19th-century or MacMillan ballets, and no cinema season other than the very first has ever failed to showcase a contemporary ballet. Last season three of the six relays were of contemporary work, and most of it was Wheeldon's (Alice, Winter's Tale, Corybantic Games). 
It's a shame as I'd much, much rather see the company in Fokine, Ashton and Balanchine.

Edited by grey
grammar
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Saodan said:

Looks like full casting is going up on the performance pages right now. Who predicted Hallberg for Month in the Country?

I still can't see anything other than what was already there (whether or not I'm signed in). Where are you seeing the new casting info Saodan?

15 minutes ago, Saodan said:

Looks like full casting is going up on the performance pages right now. Who predicted Hallberg for Month in the Country?

Certainly not me and I think that that casting is unfortunate, especially given the number of young male dancers in the Company. The RB does not need to bring in guest artists at the moment and this flies in the face of O'Hare's key aim of 'growing' his Principals from within the ranks.

From what I can see so far (not signed in) the leading women in 'Month' will be Nunez, Osipova and Cuthbertson. Why not Morera?

Yours dissatisfied.........etc. etc.

• Like 7

On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 11:31, bridiem said:

I still can't see anything other than what was already there (whether or not I'm signed in). Where are you seeing the new casting info Saodan?

Go here:

Link

......then click on each performance to get the full casting.

Edited to add that I don't know how to shorten the link. Maybe a moderator could do so?

Edited by alison
To shorten link
  • Like 1

I've copied and pasted the casting below.  It's somewhat unwieldy but, until we get the official casting document, it might help.

June 4

The Firebird Yasmine Naghdi

Ivan Tsarevich Edward Watson

Tsarevna Christina Arestis

Kostchei Gary Avis

Month in the Country

Natalia Marianela Nuñez

Beliaev William Bracewell

Symphony in C 
Natalia Osipova

·  Sarah Lamb

·  Akane Takada

·  Francesca Hayward

·  Steven McRae

·  Reece Clarke

·  Alexander Campbell

·  James Hay

June 5

The Firebird Itziar Mendizabal

Ivan Tsarevich Nehemiah Kish

Tsarevna Claire Calvert

Kostchei Christopher Saunders

Month in the Country

Natalia Natalia Osipova

Beliaev David Hallberg

Symphony in C 
Lauren Cuthbertson

·  Marianela Nuñez

·  Akane Takada

·  Yasmine Naghdi

·  Vadim Muntagirov

·  Ryoichi Hirano

·  Alexander Campbell

·  Valentino Zucchetti

June 7

The Firebird Tierney Heap

Ivan Tsarevich Ryoichi Hirano

Tsarevna Helen Crawford

Kostchei Alastair Marriott

Month in the Country

Natalia Natalia Osipova

Beliaev David Hallberg

Symphony in C 

June 12

Kostchei Gary Avis

Month in the Country

Natalia Lauren Cuthbertson

Beliaev Vadim Muntagirov

Symphony in C 

June 13

Tsarevna Helen Crawford

Month in the Country

Natalia Marianela Nuñez

Symphony in C 

June 14

Tsarevna Claire Calvert

Month in the Country

Beliaev Vadim Muntagirov

Symphony in C 

Edited by alison
To highlight text
  • Like 8

19 minutes ago, capybara said:

Certainly not me and I think that that casting is unfortunate, especially given the number of young male dancers in the Company. The RB does not need to bring in guest artists at the moment and this flies in the face of O'Hare's key aim of 'growing' his Principals from within the ranks.

I assume it's Osipova demanding to dance with Hallberg! (little Mr O'Hare can do about that)

6 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

I've copied and pasted the casting below.  It's somewhat unwieldy but, until we get the official casting document, it might help.

June 4

Kostchei Gary Avis

Month in the Country

Natalia Marianela Nuñez

Symphony in C 
Natalia Osipova

·  Sarah Lamb

·  Akane Takada

·  Francesca Hayward

·  Steven McRae

·  Reece Clarke

·  Alexander Campbell

·  James Hay

June 5

Tsarevna Claire Calvert

Month in the Country

Natalia Natalia Osipova

Beliaev David Hallberg

Symphony in C 
Lauren Cuthbertson

·  Marianela Nuñez

·  Akane Takada

·  Yasmine Naghdi

·  Vadim Muntagirov

·  Ryoichi Hirano

·  Alexander Campbell

·  Valentino Zucchetti

June 7

Tsarevna Helen Crawford

Month in the Country

Natalia Natalia Osipova

Beliaev David Hallberg

Symphony in C 

June 12

Kostchei Gary Avis

Month in the Country

Beliaev Vadim Muntagirov

Symphony in C 

June 13

Tsarevna Helen Crawford

Month in the Country

Natalia Marianela Nuñez

Symphony in C 

June 14

Tsarevna Claire Calvert

Month in the Country

Beliaev Vadim Muntagirov

Symphony in C 

Thank you, Bluebird!

35 minutes ago, capybara said:

From what I can see so far (not signed in) the leading women in 'Month' will be Nunez, Osipova and Cuthbertson. Why not Morera?

Yours dissatisfied.........etc. etc.

I would have loved to see Morera in this.  I also think Osipova could have done it with Matthew Ball, but as Hallberg will be in full RB mode after doing R&J, I guess it makes sense for him to stay around and dance with Osipova again.  I totally understand where you are coming from, Capybara, but on the other hand as we were cheated seeing them in Giselle except for one act, and as I have never seen their partnership live onstage (other than that one act), from a selfish point of view I am very happy to be given another chance, both in R&J and this one.

• Like 3

Totally agree, why why why couldn't Ball do it w Osipova ? Really disappointing when there are only 3 casts to find that one is taken by a guest. 

Interesting to see Bracewell cast w Nunez for the first time ? Nitpicking I know but is he tall enough for her ? 

• Like 1

Delighted that Tierney Heap is doing Firebird.

I would also have loved Morera to do Month, with Muntagirov. She would seem to me to be perfect casting for Natalia so I don't really understand it. All I can hope is that it comes back next season and she does it then.

• Like 3

Thanks for that Bluebird .....looking at overall casting for each ballet looks like June 12 th for me!! I probably cannot afford to go more than once unless I am lucky again with a standing ticket from this forum when I would go for Osipova and Hallberg as second choice 

I have seen Osipova before in this role but not Cuthbertson and love the idea of Vadim in this role!! 

Sad not to see Cesar Corrales' name in listings for Symphony in C. 

I wonder who will play Vera in Month? Hayward/Hinkis/O'Sullivan/Gasparini?  

Hope to see Yudes as Kolia. Can't remember if Kay danced it last time around. I expect Acri will be doing again. 

Edited by Darlex

2 hours ago, Bluebird said:

Edited to add that I don't know how to shorten the link. Maybe a moderator could do so?

Just click on the icon that looks a bit like a chain link, insert the URL into that field, and put some appropriate text in the field below to click on in the post (I only worked this out the other week myself!  :) )

3 minutes ago, RuthE said:

Vera isn't usually cast at Principal level, is she? 

She has been, I think, although not that often.  Cojocaru did it just after her promotion (possibly because she was effectively ruled out of doing much else after her expected mid-season promotion).  Possibly Viviana Durante?

34 minutes ago, alison said:

She has been, I think, although not that often.  Cojocaru did it just after her promotion (possibly because she was effectively ruled out of doing much else after her expected mid-season promotion).  Possibly Viviana Durante?

And Karen Paisey. As O'Sullivan is not doing the 4th movement in Symphony in C, I hope she will be Vera. Hayward was very good in the role so I hope she has another chance  before they cast it with more junior members. 

The official website still seems a mess, so thank you Bluebird for your valiant transcription work above.

The website still doesn't have a Firebird for the first night and on the 7th we are apparently going to have a Neumeier type performance with two casts on stage at the same time!

• Like 2