Royal Ballet: Asphodel Meadows / The Two Pigeons / RBS: The Cunning Little Vixen, 2019

I have just seen the double bill of Asphodel Meadows/The Two Pigeons. Both ballets were great and beautifully danced, but I must single out one performer, Alexander Campbell: he is Pigeon Perfect. What a superbly nuanced performance he gave and how well he conveyed the story. He really showed today what male dancing can be: at times extremely virile, at times extremely sensitive. My goodness, I don't think I have felt quite so upset (in a good way) from watching a performance!  - just the way he put his hand to his head in that final pas de deux - achingly painful! 

I think that makes Two Pigeons my number one tear jerker ballet, possibly followed  by Manon. Of course, it depends entirely on who is dancing it. 

I have read a few reviews, both here and by 'professional' reviewers,  criticising the pairing of these two ballets (Monotones and Pigeons were also thought by some not to be good companions). I think that all combinations of Pigeons pairings have worked extremely well these last four years at Covent Garden. . 

Does anyone know anything about the new Scarlett ballet: music, theme, upper school, white lodge? 

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Many thanks Darlex - I also was struck by how Alex put his hand to his head two or three times in that final PDD.  I hadn’t noticed it before.    Fabulous to have him back on stage.  Also Joseph Sissens impresses in all he does, the Gypsy boy this afternoon.  

I enjoyed Asphodel Meadows very much - first time for me and I am looking forward to this evening’s performance for a second viewing.  There’s so much going on and I’m sure repeat viewing/listening will be rewarding.  One or two lifts/hands on floor looked odd to me this afternoon and I’ll be very interested to see a different cast.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Mary said:

Was Campbell with Yuhui Choe, Darlex?

I thought they looked very nice together in the rehearsal.

Couldn't agree more re Two Pigeons being so very moving, and also the pairings being good ones.

Yes Campbell and Choe. 

Wonderful to see Asphodel Meadows again - I loved it at its première and wondered if I would still like it so much seeing it after such a long time, but I was glad to find that I did. I think the choreography is beautiful and interesting and expressive, and set to gorgeous Poulenc music. I particularly enjoyed Mayara Magri's performance. 

The Two Pigeons - overcome all over again by its brilliance. So full of beauty, symbolism, and the most profound of human feelings and behaviours. Lightweight rom com this ain't (or at least only at one of its countless levels). It occurred to me today that it could just as well be called 'The Prodigal Pigeon'. :D Or a bit more prosaically, 'The Prodigal Boyfriend'. But you get my drift. It has echoes of so many familiar themes (love, betrayal, weakness, attraction to evil, attraction to the unknown, discontent with the familiar, loss, reconciliation, forgiveness etc), all packaged in a work of incredible beauty and apparent simplicity. When that second pigeon flies in, it is a moment of extraordinary power. And terrific dancing from Campbell and Choe - what a lovely partnership. So grateful to be able to see such performances. 

• Like 10

I'm glad everybody seems to have enjoyed the matinee this afternoon (Feb 2nd). I hadn't originally booked to see this as I am going to the Royal Ballet School/Two Pigeons mixed bill in a fortnight, but I went to see the rehearsal a couple of weeks ago and was so impressed by Asphodel I ended up booking for today's performance, Had a great seat in the Grand Tier (esp as the two seats in front of me were empty!). Two Pigeons was especially lovely and, as I suspect with a lot of other people, had tears in my eyes by the end (as did the chap sitting next to me !).

• Like 5

i hadn't booked for this, seeing it Tuesday, but a friend had a spare ticket. she hadn't seen Alexander Campbell in a leading role before and was totally bowled over! it was a truly beautiful performance, so graceful and elegant, but showing a very solid technique. Takes a lot to produce tears in my case but this performance certainly did. And I hadn't noticed the hand to the head befi; must watch out for it when I go on Tuesday. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Darlex said:

Does anyone know anything about the new Scarlett ballet: music, theme, upper school, white lodge? 

From the production page: 

https://www.roh.org.uk/mixed-programmes/the-royal-ballet-school-the-two-pigeons

"The Royal Ballet School presents The Cunning Little Vixen, a new work choreographed by Liam Scarlett that shows the wonderful appeal of dance through the skill of talented new dancers."

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, alison said:

Welcome back, James Hay: you have been much missed.

Oh yes well said :) 

Such a lovely partnership with Akane Takada, both utterly delightful this evening. Such a pity he is not cast with her more often. 

• Like 6

I'm sorry to say, though, that Laura Morera and William Bracewell were replaced tonight in Asphodel Meadows by the second cast, Mayara Magri and Tristan Dyer, due to an injury to Bracewell (which was obviously known about early enough to get the correct casting printed on the cast sheets).  I'm desperately hoping it's nothing serious, as he's scheduled to make his debut in The Two Pigeons shortly :( 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, annamk said:

Such a lovely partnership with Akane Takada, both utterly delightful this evening. Such a pity he is not cast with her more often. 

Yes indeed, James Hay and Akane Takada were scrumptious - both solo and especially together. Really liked Akane's performance, but then these days she is always an utter delight. Great technique, and superb characterisation - what more could you ask! 🙂

• Like 12

30 minutes ago, annamk said:

And why (especially on the basis of tonight's performance) is he not being given a shot at Basilio in Don Q or Romeo or Belaiev?  [ Don't answer that: we have to have Hallberg in the latter two ballets instead.]

Rather worried about Bracewell's injury. A lot (too much?) is being asked of him. Let's hope that they are prioritising a recovery in time for his 2 Pigeons shows. 

Edited by capybara
  • Like 8

27 minutes ago, alison said:

I'm sorry to say, though, that Laura Morera and William Bracewell were replaced tonight in Asphodel Meadows by the second cast, Mayara Magri and Tristan Dyer, due to an injury to Bracewell (which was obviously known about early enough to get the correct casting printed on the cast sheets).  I'm desperately hoping it's nothing serious, as he's scheduled to make his debut in The Two Pigeons shortly :( 

Oh no! Seeing him in a fortnight...hope he recovers soon

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, capybara said:

And why (especially on the basis of tonight's performance) is he not being given a shot at Basilio in Don Q or Romeo or Belaiev?  [ Don't answer that: we have to have Hallberg in the latter two ballets instead.]

Absolutely, couldn't agree more !

Surely he deserved a Romeo, after all it's a long run and a number of other Romeos have multiple performances. It would have been amazing if he could have been Takada's Romeo, ever since their first Two Pigeons and then their stellar Sleeping Beauty I have thought how much they complement each other. They seem to hear the music at the same time and their styles are similar. 

You never know though, whilst I sincerely hope Corrales recovers in time for his Romeo there must be some doubt about that ...... 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, annamk said:

Absolutely, couldn't agree more !

Surely he deserved a Romeo, after all it's a long run and a number of other Romeos have multiple performances. It would have been amazing if he could have been Takada's Romeo, ever since their first Two Pigeons and then their stellar Sleeping Beauty I have thought how much they complement each other. They seem to hear the music at the same time and their styles are similar. 

You never know though, whilst I sincerely hope Corrales recovers in time for his Romeo there must be some doubt about that ...... 

Adored both Takada and Hay last night - and the intoxicating Magri.  It is so nice to have Hay back - and he looked so endearingly emotional at the initial curtain calls.  He is one of my favourite dancers with the Company - (one currently rich in its ranks) - just now.  Up there with Sissens and Gasparini.  You could feel the full force of that floor bump after the chair had been pulled from under him - courtesy of those brilliantine Chaplinesque eyes of his.  (Last night I had only wished he might have made even more use of those stunning assets.  Had he been about in the 20's I'm certain he'd be a silent film star by now.)  Such a fine dance actor - one entirely fulsome and yet always delivering through the simplest of means.  A heady trick of brilliance; a slight of hands, feet and peepers.  And, yes, I heartily concur:  His Florimund - opposite the ever MORE radiant Takada - was supreme.  

I can understand perhaps the Company's reticence over a Romeo for Hay.  More Mercutio methinks.  I have a feeling that Hay is not a MacMillan 'heavy lifter' - and IMHO we are all perhaps better for that.  Certainly you could see that in the slight diagonal struggle with Magri last night - and certainly in that trying PDD in Anastasia with Naghdi.  I agree with Capybara that he would be entirely stellar as Belaiev.  He is much more of a mainstay Ashton figure - at least in my book.  That said his demi-character MacMillian portrayals are blazing.  Who could forget his Lescault or Bratfisch .... or - for that matter - his White Rabbit courtesy of Wheeldon.   He is a special artist and  deserves to be cherished as such.   There will, I know, be PLENTY of unique opportunity to come.  Bravo!

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 15

My ballet-watching drought ended with the matinee yesterday afternoon!

I'd never seen Asphodel Meadows before and I have to say I was absolutely bowled over by it.  I loved the music and I think Liam Scarlett used it to perfection.  I loved the way sometimes a couple from the corps group mirrored the leading couple for a few seconds.  I was absolutely blown away by the grey duet from Mayara Magri and Tristan Dyer.  They were so in tune with each other and with the music that the shivers were just running down my spine.  The whole cast were excellent.  I do hope this is revived on a more regular basis than it seems to have been up to now - I could have watched it all over again ... and again ... and again!

Of course the main reason I had booked to see this performance was to see Yuhui Choe and Alexander Campbell in The Two Pigeons and I was not disappointed - quite the opposite in fact.  As with the performances last time around the stage in the crowd scenes looked empty to me compared to the smaller stages on which I have seen BRB perform the ballet.  That is the only minor quibble about this RB production that I could come up with!

Itzia Mendizabal was a fiery, seductive gypsy.  Although the young man was obviously attracted to her I felt that Alexander Campbell was actually more interested in painting her and he could not see why Yuhui Choe's girl was so jealous.  I could almost understand why he followed the gypsies to their encampment (I can't always).  OK, I already had a lump in my throat at the end of act 1.

For me, the final reconciliation duet is one of the most beautiful and moving I have ever seen - it truly is a work of genius.  As Alex stood at the top of the staircase with the pigeon on his shoulder I was in bits.  He looked so heart-broken and almost on the verge of collapse as he came down the stair-case.  He reached Yuhui and she almost pushed him away, determined not to easily forgive.  He was so very contrite and she was so hardly won over it was almost painful to watch.  Alex and Yuhui are so wonderfully touching together.  I was in tears throughout and sobbing out loud (sorry) by the end.

Yesterday afternoon's performance was one that will live on in my memories for ever.  Thank you Alex and Yuhui.

• Like 19

12 hours ago, Sim said:

The hand to the head is part of the choreography.

Perhaps it takes a particular dancer to make me notice a detail in the choreography - I thought Alex Cambell’s dancing was just so precise and clear this afternoon.  

James Hay danced beautifully this evening and great to see him back on stage and yes I noticed the hand to head (but I’m sure because of the afternoon and the posts on here).  Mayara Magri was a stunning Gypsy girl.  For me Akane Takada was exquisite, fabulous technique and every part the young girl as Dave says above.  It’s great to see how she has become a ‘must see’ dancer in every role.

Whilst always a joy to see Two Pigeons, I’ve been really impressed with my first viewings of Asphodel Meadows and hope very much this Ballet is brought back regularly.  Liam Scarlett’s choreography so complemented the music: I must try and see it next time from further back and centrally as there’s just so much going on and I’m sure a broader perspective would help (I was Stalls H sides for both performances).  And a word for the programme.  I only buy a programme if it’s a new production for me and I was delighted to find the programme featured a really insightful interview with Laura Morera recollecting her involvement in creating Asphodel Meadows, a good piece on Poulenc and the double piano concerto, and there’s a suggestion that Liam Scarlett might be fine tuning Frankenstein - we shall soon see.

• Like 6

would love to have seen James Hay as well, but finances didn't permit, and yesterday matinee was a surprise visit. Jan has prompted me to comment on Asphodel Meadows, which I thought was beautiful, and should be seen more often. I thought the set and lighting were a fine example of how sets can enhance a ballet without totally swamping it, as some of the MacGregor ballets have been totally over designed. And I agree with Jan there were an awful lot of teary eyes where I was sitting!

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Perhaps it takes a particular dancer to make me notice a detail in the choreography - I thought Alex Cambell’s dancing was just so precise and clear this afternoon.  

Yes - I think that's what I love most about his dancing - the clarity. No fudging. Reminds me of Lesley Collier.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bruce Wall said:

Certainly you could see that in the slight diagonal struggle with Magri last night - and certainly in that trying PDD in Anastasia with Naghdi.  

Have a heart, Bruce Wall !!!! 🙂 !!!! Hay and Naghdi were a last minute pairing in Anastasia. She is taller than him, as is Magri, who is also one of the slightly larger girls.

I recall a time, way back, when there were doubts that James would be strong enough to dance Hans Peter (with Sabine Westcombe) but, since then, with a partner physically suited to him, his partnering has been fine, to my eyes at least.

The problem is that the smaller ballerinas are 'taken' by the shorter male Principals or other First Soloists before Hay can get a look in. And, if the wonderful Corrales can't dance Romeo, I'll bet that Alexander Campbell gets put in ahead of James Hay. [Yes, I know that there will be those on here who will applaud that but it will make my point!] 

• Like 3

I would also have loved to see Choe and Campbell but having seen them, and adored them, last time I went for Takada and Hay and how utterly wonderful they both were. And a big shout out for Mayara Magri, who so totally holds the eye in everything that she does. Not to mention the way that the second pigeon hits the tear ducts every single time.

• Like 6

Thought performances by Hay, Takada and Magri were wonderful last night. Unfortunately, despite great seats, view was particularly restricted by big heads on a date in front of me who continued to lean towards the middle of their seats throughout, despite asking politely if they could keep to the centre of their seats. As a result, a completely underwhelming evening. Completely my issue but very disappointed esp as had paid to treat my daughter to stalls seats. Sticking to my cheaper favourites next time!

• Like 1

Great to hear that Alex Campbell is on top form now he is is back -   looking forward very much to his Basilio in Don Q.

Sorry to have missed him and Choe, but we went to the evening performance instead and  found  The Two Pigeons absolutely enchanting. Ashton created such a well crafted ballet. I never imagined that seeing a couple of short pigeon flights would be so moving!

It was so good to see James Hay making such an impact after his  recovery from injury. He was just lovely with Akane Takada, who, as others have posted, was utterly exquisite in this role  - as she has been in everything else I have seen her in thus far. 

There was a lot of warmth in the audience reaction at the end to  Akane, James, and also Mayara Magri, who was brilliant as the gypsy girl (as she was in Asphodel Meadows with Tristan Dyer).

We loved the exuberant gypsy dances and were pleased that the boys and girls in the corps deserved, and received,  much praise for their fabulous skiils.  

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, capybara said:

“.........as is Magri, who is also one of the slightly larger girls”

Not sure that any of the female dancers would appreciate being described as 'larger', whether slightly or otherwise. Magri certainly isn’t 'larger'.

Slightly taller perhaps but, given the relative heights of dancers currently in the RB, I’m not even sure about that 😊

Pleased to see so many positive comments about the Poulenc. I was waiting for a bus after the matinee a few weeks ago with one of the cellists: I thanked him, we talked a little about the Two Pigeons and I mentioned the Messager. He said, "But what about the Poulenc!"

If you'd asked "serious" musical taste-makers 60 years ago which then-living French composer's reputation would be faring best in 2019, I doubt many would have answered Poulenc: too "superficial", too tonal, too...well, attractive. But it looks like he might have the last laugh.

Edited by Lizbie1
changed musicians to musical taste-makers
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, RobR said:

Not sure that any of the female dancers would appreciate being described as 'larger', whether slightly or otherwise. Magri certainly isn’t 'larger'.

Slightly taller perhaps but, given the relative heights of dancers currently in the RB, I’m not even sure about that 😊

I’ll settle for taller but Mayara Magri, who gave a terrific account of the Gypsy Girl, also has a body frame which is larger than that of, say, Takada.

• Like 1

Well, I wasn't going to go this time round, as I saw masses of Pigeons last time. But I have finally caved in, and bought a ticket for the last performance.

Being a member of this ballet forum can be a bit hard on the bank account sometimes. 

• Like 6