Royal Ballet - Don Quixote - Spring 2019

I really like Carlos Acosta's production, I think it plays to the strengths of the Royal Ballet (and hopefully BRB next year (I'm already thinking of dream casting!)).  The RB is stylistically very different from the Bolshoi and the Mariinsky and the production needed to take that into account

I was at the cinema tonight and thoroughly enjoyed the evening!  (I was very relieved that I didn't have another Bayadere disaster too!)

I very much liked Akane Takada's subtle but very flirtatious Kitri and Alexander Campbell has the perfect "cheeky but genuine" persona for Basilio.  I thought their duets scintillating and the second one-handed lift was saved in spectacular fashion - so much so it looked as though that was how it was supposed to be done.

To me, the whole company looked engaged throughout and that really added to the atmosphere.  Of course I loved Yuhui Choe as one of Kitri's friends.

Just one thing ... does the stage really look that small or is it all the scenery?

I'm now looking forward to seeing this production in the flesh next month!

• Like 11

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Sim said:

Another wonderful performance tonight.  I am liking Akane Takada more and more each time I see her. 

mmm - me too! She has an astonishing jete - just one of her many attributes - seems like she will never come back to earth sometimes! 🙂 And her characterisations go from strength to strength (another example being her Young Girl in The Two Pigeons, where she was my favourite). 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Coated said:

Can't wait for the Bolshoi. Forgot how much I dislike this busybee, crammed, frilly and overstuffed production.

ah yes, the Bolshoi. Dance (brilliantly) for 2 mins, milk applause for 2 mins, manfully stride to next position from front centre where said milking occurred. Repeat 🙂

• Like 15

20 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Just one thing ... does the stage really look that small or is it all the scenery?

'A bit too much scenery' is a very fair comment on this production I think....and a bit too much on stage at times, all round!

All the sliding around of houses can make you feel a bit sick. For the first time in the screening I kept noticing two strange characters in enormous hats sitting on top of one of them who reminded me of the old buffers in the Muppets...

That said, I still think it is terrific fun and I couldn't agree more, Dave, that I much prefer the constantly unfolding action in this production to the endless applause sequences in Bolshoi's...and Acosta has successfully infused it with a  hispanic feel, too. My Spanish friend certainly thought so.

• Like 4

Don Quixote was an absolute joy last night. Loved the clever sets, especially for the little Spanish town which moved in and out to make it feel like you were sometimes in the narrow streets and sometimes in the town square. Loved the expression of the sky in different scenes- the brilliant blue in the village and the setting sun in the evening spent dancing with the gypsy camp. The little details like the people watching from their balconies really made the set feel more alive.

I think that the choreography and the introduction of cheers etc from the company on stage really added to making the production feel ‘real’. The guitar accompaniment to the gypsies dancing by the camp fire added to the atmosphere and I can see why Acosta and Yates inserted this. 

Costume wise, loved the vivid colours and the flamenco style frills worn by key ladies. The one character I really didn’t like the costumes for was Mercedes - definitely got a raw deal here with the colours and designs, switching from what I think was bright pink with black polka dots to a lurid orange in Act 3. 

Onto the dancing. Character roles were brilliantly done- so nice to have so many roles for so many of the character artists and such expressive mime which demonstrated the versatility, acting and comic ability of these dancers.Avis was understandably miffed that he and Whitehead were left off the cinema cast list but they were on the more extensive cast list in the theatre.

Valentino Zucchetti  was pure testosterone on stage and an incredibly believable matador. There was plenty more sheer masculinity from the remaining matadors.

Takada and Campbell were a perfect pairing and really enjoyed their performances in terms of both their technical dexterity and acting ability. Campbell is already a favourite of mine and having seen a few performances from Takada she is also becoming a firm favourite. She has such natural grace and elegance and a strong actress too. 

Fumi Kaneko was a perfect queen of the Dryads- it is a difficult solo which can sometimes look a little heavy, but every extension on pointe looked positively lifted and her fluid port de bras lifted the steps even more.

Delighted to see Anna Rose O’Sullivan as Cupid - such a sweet and pretty interpretation and got to thinking about how versatile she is in terms of classical vs contemporary. Bright future ahead.

Finally, always delighted to see Yuhui Choe and Beatriz Stix Brunell and they were a perfect pairing. Would have loved to see a bit more from them dancing wise- felt too short and sweet!

Agree previous comments that the prologue was a little long but liked the way Don Q was so woven into the story- after all, it’s supposed to be his story! Otherwise, enjoyed every joyous, sunshine/burning setting sun moment.

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Sim said:

I thought she did embody the character very convincingly, and maybe this came through more in the theatre than on the screen.  She is different from other Kitris in that her portrayal is perhaps more subtle...but she uses her eyes so well and so flirtatiously that it’s all there, but in a less overt way.  

Oh, I don't know, I thought it came over pretty well on the screen as well - when she was allowed to.  There were some times where I thought a different choice of shot/timing would have made certain parts of her - and others' - interpretation/performance clearer.

• Like 1

I very much enjoyed the cinema relay in Keswick if it didn’t quite have the exuberance of opening night (I’m not sure what could).  Lovely to see Akane and Alex having the cinema opportunity.  Mayara and Valentino were good but having seen a little of Matthew Ball I very much wish I were going to see his Espada and Basilio performances.  I thought the Dryads scene the highlight of the evening with Anna-Rose, Fumi and Akane. 

I also enjoyed the extras, particularly the interview with Tim Hatly and his picture book analogy for what he was wanting from the sets.  In illustrating the point, it was very good to see the whole stage which yet again underlines the need for some wider perspectives in the filming.  

And I was very pleased to see the preview for Flight Pattern and hope audiences have had their appetites whetted  - very different and will be great to have Kristen on stage in the principal role, although I do very much appreciate her as a presenter.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I very much enjoyed the cinema relay in Keswick if it didn’t quite have the exuberance of opening night (I’m not sure what could).  Lovely to see Akane and Alex having the cinema opportunity.  Mayara and Valentino were good but having seen a little of Matthew Ball I very much wish I were going to see his Espada and Basilio performances.  I thought the Dryads scene the highlight of the evening with Anna-Rose, Fumi and Akane. 

I also enjoyed the extras, particularly the interview with Tim Hatly and his picture book analogy for what he was wanting from the sets.  In illustrating the point, it was very good to see the whole stage which yet again underlines the need for some wider perspectives in the filming.  

And I was very pleased to see the preview for Flight Pattern and hope audiences have had their appetites whetted  - very different and will be great to have Kristen on stage in the principal role, although I do very much appreciate her as a presenter.

Yes, I thought the extras were excellent too - really good interviews, as always, and an enlightening few minutes of Darcey Bussell in the studio with Takada. And I thought Kristen McNally was a very good presenter, but I do wish that the script for the presenters would sometimes be a bit more informative and not just endless enthusing about the production. It makes it all sound a bit juvenile. The audience is quite capable of deciding for itself if what they are seeing is exciting and wonderful; what some might need or appreciate is a quiet bit of exposition about the work we're about to see/are seeing. (Some of this is provided in the interviews, but the presenters could/should do it too.) That said, I really like Ore Oduba as a presenter.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, bridiem said:

So sorry, Fiz!

Thanks. I tripped over an uneven paving stone and I’ve really done some damage. My face looks like a fright mask too. It wasn’t the dog’s fault. My dear brother asked me if I was going to sue the council! No, it was an accident. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I do wish that the script for the presenters would sometimes be a bit more informative and not just endless enthusing about the production. It makes it all sound a bit juvenile. The audience is quite capable of deciding for itself if what they are seeing is exciting and wonderful;

hear, hear to that

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, JohnS said:

the need for some wider perspectives in the filming.  

33 minutes ago, alison said:

There were some times where I thought a different choice of shot/timing would have made certain parts of her - and others' - interpretation/performance clearer.

Indeed. I was very frustrated when the camera moved to a close-up of ONE of the pair when both Kitri and Basilio were dancing-far apart but together, that was the point of the effect..and zooming in on the windmill when the campfire dancing was still going on. Annoying.

• Like 1

Well, as something of a Don Q sceptic, I have to say I really enjoyed last night's streamed showing.  I'd somehow assumed we'd seen the Acosta version before but, as soon as the Prologue started, it became clear this was all new to me.  A great improvement on the other productions I've endured, and certainly well put across by one and all, from Ms Takada and Mr Campbell down to the youngsters involved at times.  The new sets, chaps actually playing guitars, and a Don Q who retained some dignity and was not entirely doddering - all most welcome.  

• Like 4

Talking about guitars reminded me that I'd meant to ask who the black-haired dancer carrying the guitar in Act I was?  (In fact, I was quite horrified at the number of lower-ranked dancers I can no longer quickly put a name to altogether!)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, alison said:

Talking about guitars reminded me that I'd meant to ask who the black-haired dancer carrying the guitar in Act I was?  (In fact, I was quite horrified at the number of lower-ranked dancers I can no longer quickly put a name to altogether!)

I think it was Stanislaw Wegrzyn but can't be certain.  Maybe others could confirm?

• Like 2

I thought that was Stanislaw Wegrzyn -I noticed him too- - Lausanne winner 2017-  very handsome young dancer in every sense, who has that certain something you notice- in the way he carries himself. He was looking after the horse as well as the guitar.

Better things ahead for him I hope.

• Like 4

I also really enjoyed last night's performance, although I feel the stage was rather overcrowded at times. Fantastic dancing by all & I too spotted the young man with the guitar. One to watch methinks! I liked Zuchetti's performance as Espada but, as far as I am concerned, no one dances Espada as well as Andrei Merkuriev.

In Worthing we were given an A4 sheet with a photo of a scene in Don Q & telling us who the conductor& designer was, but no synopsis or casting??? It didn't matter to me as I knew but some of the other audience members may have been confused.

• Like 1

Good to see your message on screen last night, Janet McN !

The cinema ran out of ink whilst printing cast sheets, so no details for us, so it was useful to see listings on the forum. I thought that I saw Joe Sissens as a matador; was he there?!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pas de Quatre said:

Have there been some revisions to this production since its first season?  I haven't been able to see it yet, but I am fascinated how the tone of this thread has changed.  At first many people didn't like it, but now lots of people do!

Yes, I noticed this too, I haven't seen this revival yet but there were aspects I didn't like before, the idea of de-classifying one of the best classic ballets ,the dancers shouting out in Spanish now and then, and rather lacklustre matadors spring to mind, perhaps it has been vastly improved.

A thoroughly enjoyable night out at the cinema. I was struck by a number of 'inexperienced' ballet watchers at the screening I attended ( based on a several overheard conversations in the intervals), who were clearly impressed by what they were seeing .There is indeed a lot going on in this production - other than the prologue, I don't think there are any  scenes where there are only  handful people on stage. Kitri and Basilio do all their love making in public - I think this may be true of all productions of Don Q - but someone with greater knowledge can put me right.  I love the set designs, the live musicians on stage and the involvement of the whole ensemble in the action, even the odd shouting aloud. But all this would fall flat if it were not underpinned by the high quality of dancing throughout the cast. There really wasn't a weak link, and you never for one moment felt anxious about the technique to bring off the choreography. To the person who dismisses this production and longs for the Bolshoi, I would say, enjoy it for the standard of dancing that we are currently fortunate to witness at the Royal Ballet. Thankfully, there is a production of Don Q in the repertoire which is one of the few ballets that can adequately reflect this strength and breadth..

• Like 7

Just a mention for the super gypsy couple Thomas Mock and Itziar Mendizibal. They were on fire!  He must have been feeling hot as he needed to remove his top....or rather she helped him ( sorry if I'm lowering the tone but hey...) Really enjoyed watching this at Watford Palace Theatre cinema but we were sitting a bit too close to the screen and sometimes the close ups were just too close to see the dancing. 

• Like 4

I'm glad I managed to grab the odd spare seat at the back, then, Mandy!  The reason I don't tend to attend my local for these things (well, that and the exorbitant ticket price) is that it's usually in a broad, but not deep, screen, and I keep wanting to push my seat out through the back wall!  I was rather more limited in options than usual because it was half-term and various public transport engineering works were getting in the way of where I could go.  Verrrry glad I didn't grab the last seat in the Wimbledon Curzon, regardless of how comfy the seats are :) 

1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

Kitri and Basilio do all their love making in public

Not really; they flirt, tease and show off in public, but (discounting of course the viewing  audience)   their love making at the beginning of Act 2 is private, and quite moving  and tender  at times - particularly so with Takada and Campbell, I thought. For example there is a brief moment when everything seemed to stop, just after she affects to be cross about his stolen kiss, and they look at each other each other lovingly before she falls into his arms and he lays her down. And later Campbell steals more than one kiss from her outstretched arm when she points for him to fetch her shawl. 

Lovely characterisation  from the pair, and I was yet again blown away in particular by Takada's wonderful technique and  control. Beautiful how time seems to stand still as she slows down an arm or leg movement; dazzling how she combines this with seemingly effortless high leaps, high kicks, and lengthy, fast turns.  A triumphal virtuoso performance, and extremely  well received in the theatre.  So pleased for her! 

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 3