• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, we've gone with Naghdi....

But when booking tickets, I didn't check each seat and now I see:

• LEVEL 1 Stalls Circle 1A, C-29 

Tall loose seat, ceiling overhang obstructs the view

• LEVEL 1 Stalls Circle 1A, C-30 

But it's hard to go back to look at the view because they've been sold!

Anyone know how bad these seats really are?

35 minutes ago, thewinelake said:

Well, we've gone with Naghdi....

But when booking tickets, I didn't check each seat and now I see:

• LEVEL 1 Stalls Circle 1A, C-29 

Tall loose seat, ceiling overhang obstructs the view

• LEVEL 1 Stalls Circle 1A, C-30 

But it's hard to go back to look at the view because they've been sold!

Anyone know how bad these seats really are?

They are pretty good ...we saw a Manon  performance from them.  Being loose you can adjust them a bit to face the stage, and being tall you are not likely to have your view blocked by anyone in rows A or B. Once seated, the view won't seem as boxed in as it looks in Saodan's photo.

Edited by Richard LH

1 hour ago, Saodan said:

I haven't been in these seats, but this is a link for the image for C-29:

http://d33ex4wp0jsts.cloudfront.net/venues/main-stage/level-1-stalls-circle-1a/c-29-stage-view-1280x853.jpg

Can you get at all the seat views, Saodan?  If so, how do you go about it, please?  I don't think the ROH shows these any more, does it?

39 minutes ago, alison said:

Can you get at all the seat views, Saodan?  If so, how do you go about it, please?  I don't think the ROH shows these any more, does it?

Alison I may be missing your point, so forgive me if I seem to be stating the obvious below...

In selecting a seat to potentially book it, you can see the view. You can't see the view from that seat once it is booked for that particular performance/date, but of course that does not prevent viewing it where it is not yet booked for another performance.

I have also saved a lot of seat views on my computer for convenience and future reference.

Yes, Richard, the ROH website used to have a facility where you could see the exact view from every seat, but it seems to have disappeared.  As far as I know, you can currently only see the view from a seat if it isn't already booked, which was why I was asking Saodan whether there was some other place I could find them regardless of whether they were actually free or not.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, alison said:

Yes, Richard, the ROH website used to have a facility where you could see the exact view from every seat, but it seems to have disappeared.  

You mean the exact view from the perspective of someone significantly taller than I am and wiithout anyone's head immediately in front of you?

• Like 3

On 13/01/2019 at 21:36, alison said:

Can you get at all the seat views, Saodan?  If so, how do you go about it, please?

Technically, you can access the image for any seat, but its tricky. 

http://d33ex4wp0jsts.cloudfront.net/venues/main-stage/level-g-orchestra-stalls-gc/h-27-stage-view-1280x853.jpg

http://d33ex4wp0jsts.cloudfront.net/venues/main-stage/level-3-balcony-3a/a-12-stage-view-1280x853.jpg

http://d33ex4wp0jsts.cloudfront.net/venues/main-stage/level-6-upper-amphitheatre-6f/s-62-stage-view-1280x853.jpg

If you look closely at the links you will see that they each contains 4 pieces of information pointing to the seat, separated by hyphens: level, area of the house, door number, and seat number. (This is the information on the tickets these days). The image for each seat has a unique url like this, meaning you can change this information to point to the seat you want. But, if one piece of information is wrong or drop a hyphen, you get nothing.

So, if you open the link I posted for thewinelake and change c-29 to c-30 in the address bar and hit enter, the image will shift along one. Change it to b-30 and you will move forward a row. Change it to b-70 and you will get nothing, because you have moved into a different part of the auditorium. To see the image for b-70, you also need to change the door number from 1a to 1d. You can also change stage-view to position-view if you want to see the seat itself. 

To find the unique url of a seat that hasn't been booked yet, all you need to do is open the seat view image through the seating plan, right click the image and select ‘open in new tab’ or ‘view image’ depending on your browser. This will open the image full screen, with the unique url in the address bar. 

I will normally, find an unbooked seat near the one I want to view, get the unique url, and then change the seat number. That way you don't have to worry too much about doors and levels. 

Does that make any sense? It would be great if they could just bring back a seating plan with all seats accessible so we don't have to finagle the website! 

Edited by Saodan
  • Like 11

3 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

That's a very useful finagle, Saodan - thanks!

Reminds me of the time we were doing an amateur production of Chicago back in the early 1990s. The actress playing Mama Morton (our then grande dame) asked what a finagle was (throw em a fake and a finagle, they’ll never know you’re just a bagel).  No-one knew!

• Like 3

Ha ha I may have to read your post a few more times Saodan before I "get it" ....does look rather complicated!

Have I imagined that there used to be a separate seating plan that you could download and which enabled you to just click on a seat to see the stage view from it? Or is this just a bit of wishful thinking on my part.

if it is ....would this be that difficult to set up?

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/01/2019 at 22:33, penelopesimpson said:

Judging by the amount of seats still available, it would seem that I'm not the only one to dislike this ballet.  An ambitious number of performances?  Marketing might even be glad of the old faithful yet.

Don Q is now currently pretty well fully booked up until the end of March so the opening post on this thread looks  a bit premature. 

49 minutes ago, alison said:

Not remotely, myself - just wondering what on earth I'm going to do with myself for the next month-and-a-half ;) 

I remember when the season was announced and I looked at this whole month of Don Qs and Frankensteins - and Royal Opera Cosi fan tuttes - and thought, "Wow, maybe I'll get an actual break from the ROH!"  (I am seeing a couple of Don Qs, next week, but then have a gap of almost 4 whole weeks prior to the first night of Forza when I'm not scheduled to be at the ROH at all...)

• Like 2

I'm not hugely keen on this Don Q (I think that it's the dull costumes which dampen the excitement for me). But, with casts we have................. WOW! It will be terrific. And I mean the Basilios as well as the Kitris, the Espadas as well as the Mercedes  - well, just about everyone. Bring it on!

Edited by capybara
  • Like 5