Royal Ballet - Don Quixote - Spring 2019

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Lindsay said:

Since Lauren also cancelled her Aurora in St Petersburg I suspect that she is nursing an injury that prevents her from performing long, strenuous ballets like Beauty or Don Q but can withstand the shorter, less technical Marguerite and Armand.

Cuthbertson did not dance in Sleeping Beauty due to illness, not injury.

Please do not speculate on things like this when you have no knowledge.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, capybara said:

It's all here on BCF, Alison. Lauren danced Marguerite to Xander Parish's Armand so, fully fit or otherwise, her being able to dance Kitri tonight was always going to be a close call.

I'd missed that.  When I heard she was dancing last night, I'd assumed it was Sleeping Beauty.

2 hours ago, Clara_f said:

I apologise in advance for feeding into more conjecture as we will never know but it is curious that Cuthbertson in St P, and Sambe and Naghdi in London, were all allowed to guest and Osipova was not, as these dancers all have performances this week at the RB, and clearly illness or injury can then impact scheduled performances.

I would have thought that Naghdi & Sambe was a rather different case from both Cuthbertson & Osipova, since the former were performing in London, so there's not the same risk of travel problems, & only doing a short extract rather than a full length work.

I was surprised to see from Instagram that Muntagirov was dancing Swan Lake in Italy on Sunday night. He must have incredible stamina to do 2 such demanding roles within 24 hours, and with travel in between.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I would have thought that Naghdi & Sambe was a rather different case from both Cuthbertson & Osipova, since the former were performing in London, so there's not the same risk of travel problems, & only doing a short extract rather than a full length work.

I was surprised to see from Instagram that Muntagirov was dancing Swan Lake in Italy on Sunday night. He must have incredible stamina to do 2 such demanding roles within 24 hours, and with travel in between.

And he did the same back to back last week too 

When I saw Muntagirov with Nunez last month the stage door was insanely busy & I had to leave for my train before he got anywhere near the outskirts of the crowd where I was. However I was very lucky on Saturday that just as I was leaving after thanking Campbell & Magri I realised Muntagirov was approching so I was able to quickly thank him for his performance last month. He did look slightly surprised but I hope he didn't mind being spoken to before rather than after a performance (it was literally one sentence, as I didn't want to hold him up).

Spkeaing of stage doors, I was really impressed by the amount of time Campbell spent talking to those of us waiting after Saturday's matinee. Not just a quick autograph & "thank you for coming" but taking the time to have proper conversations with everyone. Some of the people there were evidently regulars who he knew but he also gave time to people like me who had never met him before.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Spkeaing of stage doors, I was really impressed by the amount of time Campbell spent talking to those of us waiting after Saturday's matinee. Not just a quick autograph & "thank you for coming" but taking the time to have proper conversations with everyone. Some of the people there were evidently regulars who he knew but he also gave time to people like me who had never met him before.

I was one of them!  Several of us were fans from his BRB days.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Did he enjoy any banter with the god awful Sunderland fans? The street was a mountain of cans and bottles by the time I got to the area for the evening performance. 

They were terrible. The noise! It sounded like World War III was kicking off about 50 yards from the stage door. As I left at about 5.30pm they had started throwing drinks & smoke flares & the police were moving in. Fortunately there were a small enough number of people waiting that everyone managed to get inside when Campbell & Magri appeared so it was possible to actually hear conversations, which it wasn't really outside.

By the time we arrived at the ROH it was virtually impossible to get down to Covent Garden market and down Floral Street. We - and most others - walked the long way round. I’ve never seen so many people there and all the noise and chanting made it sound very aggressive, even if that wasn’t the intent. There were still some of them around and shouting when we went round to the stage door after the evening performance.

37 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

When I saw Muntagirov with Nunez last month the stage door was insanely busy & I had to leave for my train before he got anywhere near the outskirts of the crowd where I was. However I was very lucky on Saturday that just as I was leaving after thanking Campbell & Magri I realised Muntagirov was approching so I was able to quickly thank him for his performance last month. He did look slightly surprised but I hope he didn't mind being spoken to before rather than after a performance (it was literally one sentence, as I didn't want to hold him up).

I did see Kevin O'Hare walking (striding even!) along Floral Street before the matinee on Saturday but i didn't want to embarrass either of us by going up to him!  Glad you manged to see to Campbell afterwards - I wish I had stayed ! 

37 minutes ago, alison said:

So, *is* Reece Clarke dancing tonight, or was that an error?

Nicol Edmonds has posted an instagram story of himself in costume and the worlds "Espada 3.5". That might be the answer. 

Fingers firmly crossed for Reece. 

42 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Did he enjoy any banter with the god awful Sunderland fans? The street was a mountain of cans and bottles by the time I got to the area for the evening performance. 

That sounds very unpleasant, but lest we tar them all with the same brush I'd like to mention that when grabbing a bite to eat before the evening performance I shared a table top with a couple of (male) Sunderland fans and their young sons and they were very polite - one insisted on giving up his seat for me.

3 hours ago, Rob S said:

And he did the same back to back last week too 

It was obvious from the original RB schedule that Muntagirov had a long gap between his original Don Qs and the Triple Bill. His Swan Lake dates in Naples were announced some time ago on his official Facebook page as being the 31st March and 3rd April. [He did not dance Siegfried between his two March Don Qs!]

However, he then became the replacement for Basilio with Osipova due to Corrales's injury, resulting the near clash referred to this weekend.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 1

Yep Nicol Edmonds is replacing Reece tonight, Gartside replaces Whitehead as Gamache, Marriott replaces Gartside as Lorenzo, Meaghan Grace Hinkis replaces Isabella Gasparini as one of Kitri’s friends and rhubarb and custards replace butter mintoes as my interval sugar rush. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

I was one of them!  Several of us were fans from his BRB days.

I'm sorry, I didn't recognise you from your profile pic or I'd have said hello. I have brown hair in a bun, glasses & was wearing a pale coat, if you noticed me.

22 minutes ago, capybara said:

It was obvious from the original RB schedule that Muntagirov had a long gap between his original Don Qs and the Triple Bill. His Swan Lake dates in Naples were announced some time ago on his official Facebook page as being the 31st March and 3rd April. [He did not dance Siegfried between his two March Don Qs!]

However, he then became the replacement for Basilio with Osipova due to Corrales's injury, resulting the near clash referred to this weekend.

Yes.

I waited at the stage door after Sat Don Q performance. Vadim rushed out carrying a big suitcase and apologized that he had to make his way to airport immediately :) 

He only signed for a cute little girl coming from Italy then ran away. He was so polite and adorable. So no one was unhappy. We just continued to wait for Osipova.

And something completely unrelated... Osipova has made an amazing improvement on her English speaking. Maybe she spoke good English long ago but she did not talk in English before. This time she spoke in English and I must say it is very good comparing to my lovely English college who worked in UK for 3 years:)

• Like 1

My first time seeing Don Quixote in the flesh last night and I had a great time - a really fun and enjoyable ballet.

Fumi Kaneko was really wonderful standing in for Lauren Cuthbertson - a beautiful performance very much appreciated by the audience. Felt like a nice partnership with Matthew Ball too.

• Like 11

Back at Don Q tonight! Couldn’t resist buying one of those Friday rush seats to see tonight’s cast and have high hopes! The Saturday matinee at the weekend reminded me just how fun this production is, I truly enjoyed it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Don Q Fan said:

I thoroughly enjoyed both the matinee and evening shows on Saturday.  Such a happy sunny ballet and what a debut for Magri!  A few curtain call pics from both:-

Great pics!

• Like 3

An absolutely superlative performance tonight from the whole cast. Naghdi and Sambe were stunning, Stix-Brunell  (what a beautiful debut as Mercedes!) and Ball dynamite together, Avis a resolute Don, O'Sullivan her usual lovely Amour and Gartside a revelation as Lorenzo....he brought the character to life like no-one else has.  Huge applause and standing ovation at the end, and I can't remember a company performance of this ballet that deserved it more.  I am still reeling from the buzz of that Act 3 pdd.....wow!  A truly special night.  Huge thanks to all those wonderful artists for bringing me such a feeling of pure joy!  

• Like 13

We were also there. Wonderful, but wasn't Lorenzo played by Jonathan Howells? I agree that Gartside was tremendous as Gamache! Unless the cast list is wrong, of course - not sure I'd be able to tell the difference!

I'd also like to single out Fumi Kaneko as Kitri's friend - so sharp and yet adorable.

Edited by thewinelake
  • Like 1