Royal Ballet - Don Quixote - Spring 2019

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I rather like Don Q but haven’t seen this production and am quite excited having watched the rehearsal from the last run where Acosta coaches Akane Takada and Vadream. I really like his philosophy about trying to make it more ‘real’ and human. 

I also have one cheap seat booking- line of view looks clear and thought it was the best ballet to take my boss to (and based on her budget)- she wants to give it a go before she goes on mat leave and I figured the male and female virtuosity solos would be quite compelling in addition to the more classical ‘expected’ dream sequence. 

Ideally I would have taken her to Manon but wanted to give her the majesty of the ROH vs Coliseum - and Macmillan’s R&J is sadly too close to her due date. 

• Like 1

I have been quite shocked to see that an Osipova performance of Don Q hasn't been an immediate sell-out: it is her signature role after all.

All Don Qs are selling slowly, ditto the Scarlett/Ashton double bills. Have R&J, Frankenstein,  etc. gone on sale yet and if so, how are they doing? Is the Opera also doing slow business? Any explanations? Is this Brexit jitters? 

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Royal Ballet - Don Quixote - Spring 2019

I like this production of Don Q (I think it plays to the RB's strengths) and I like Don Q in general.

I don't know if this is because I first saw it (as a newbie ballet watcher) in Russia in 1986.  It was at the Mariinsky Theatre with the Mariinsky Ballet and Kitri and Basilio were Altynai Assylmuratova and Faroukh Ruzimatov

I have very fond memories of Christopher Gable's production for Northern Ballet too.  Daniel de Andrade is still my definitive Basilio.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Blossom said:

quite excited having watched the rehearsal from the last run where Acosta coaches Akane Takada and Vadream.

This is a beautiful,  joyful ballet, with a good combination of humour, pathos, different dancing styles, memorable music, and vivid scenes. It has plenty of opportunities for the dancers to show off their technical expertise, flair,  and characterisation, with  various good roles to fill, not just  Kitri and Basilio (the two principals) but  Don Quixote himself, Sancho Panza, Dulcinea, Lorenzo, Gamache, Espada, Mercedes, Amour, and The Queen of the Dryads.

I am looking forward very much to seeing Takada with Campbell (twice!) - they should be great together in this -  as well as Nunez/Muntagirov, and Magri/Campbell. Also attending the Insight rehearsal - as mentioned by Blossom  that was a lovely one in 2015 with Acosta and  Takada/Muntagirov (link below) and I would  love to see Acosta  back  again for the forthcoming Insight on 04 Feb (which is fully booked I'm afraid, but is to be filmed).

So for any undecided, with still 5 weeks to opening night,   I would say grab tickets whilst you can !

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, alison said:

Both were predictable as being slow sellers.  I was surprised not to see them appearing in Get Into London Theatre The New Year Sale, but perhaps again that's the new normal?

The sale only goes up to very early Feb.

8 hours ago, Darlex said:

I have been quite shocked to see that an Osipova performance of Don Q hasn't been an immediate sell-out: it is her signature role after all.

All Don Qs are selling slowly, ditto the Scarlett/Ashton double bills. Have R&J, Frankenstein,  etc. gone on sale yet and if so, how are they doing? Is the Opera also doing slow business? Any explanations? Is this Brexit jitters? 

I think the ROH is outpricing themselves hence the slow take-up of tickets.  R&J is usually a fast seller but plenty of seats still available - I booked as Friends+ and noticed that it is the chepaer seats that have sold.  I really do believe the hike in prices is paying for the "Open Up" project - this is ironic as "Open Up" is certainly not taking place as expensive seats are keeping people away !!!!  

• Like 6

There are a lot of performances - a whopping 17 ! I like Don Q but I don't like this production; IMO in trying to make it more real and human, Acosta has sadly managed to make it pretty tedious, it really drags in places, how can you do that to Don Q ? Only the debuts attracted me to buy tickets and now the most exciting of all - Corrales - is off :(

• Like 3

Personally, I love Don Q.  It's one of those joyful, just-sit-back-and-enjoy sort of ballets,  and I thoroughly enjoy Acosta's production.   I think it's great that we have a version here in the UK, without having to wait for one of the Russian companies to bring it on tour.

I feel very sorry for poor Cesar Corrales, who is having a such bad luck with injuries.  Hopefully he will make a full recovery and be back on stage soon. 

With regard to the various cast changes, I'm really happy with all of them.  I'm sure Takada/Campbell will be wonderful, and it's nice to have a slightly different cast for the cinema relay.  No-one could ever object to Vadim as a replacement, and as for William Bracewell (who has become a firm favourite), if his and Fumi's  "White Couple" and their Nutcracker are anything to go by, they will be terrific.  I have so much faith that I've just bought a ticket for their second performance (I already had the first!).   

• Like 7

8 hours ago, annamk said:

There are a lot of performances - a whopping 17 ! I like Don Q but I don't like this production; IMO in trying to make it more real and human, Acosta has sadly managed to make it pretty tedious, it really drags in places, how can you do that to Don Q ? Only the debuts attracted me to buy tickets and now the most exciting of all - Corrales - is off :(

That's really the point I was making. When the Marinsky brought it to London in 2017 it was the slowest seller and 17 performances seems far too many to me.  Okay, I know I am biased because I don't like DQ and I especially don't like the Acosta version but, the amount of shows plus the ticket price hike means ROH may catch a cold.

Can anyone advise how much would be missed for this production if sitting stalls circle right? I'm not sure whether to get one of the very few £60/£73 SC seats left for the performance I'm looking at going to or if I should cough up an extra £20 for a £93 stalls seat. Or, for that matter, wait & see if there are any offers or better setas returned nearer the time.

It's difficult with this particular Don Q as the houses move around a bit. However, I have sat in Row A there and it's not been too bad. Some 'business' takes place out of sight but most of the dancing is visible, IIRC.

Seat A100 is available for the Magri/Campbell matinee, I see. Go for it if that's the cast you want to see.  (as I think it might be from what you said earlier).

Yes, 30th March matinee is the date I've been looking at (annoyingly, their other date has far more tickets available but I can't make it as ETO is at my local theatre the first week of April so I'm booked up already). Thank you very much for the advice. I've just booked A100.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Thanks. I'm hoping I'll be in the liking it camp, as the production seems to divide opinion. 

People have different likes and dislikes!

Please look after A100 as I will need it for the last night, again Magri/ Campbell!

I saw Takada/McRae from there, in Mayerling; it is a great position for being close to the action, at the expense of a little awkwardness in terms of keeping your head towards the right, and potentially missing a few things near the side of the stage -not that I missed anything in Mayerling that I recall.

Edited by Richard LH

16 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

How odd! I wonder how the system has managed to do that?

When the seats nearer the stage were available, A100 was grouped price-wise with those nearer the stage whereas A99 was grouped with another 5 further away. They seemed to have taken the first group seats 'off sale' while leaving the physical seat still there.

Knowledgeable Stalls Circle standers sometimes used it and, also, Ushers would place people there. But, over several years, the ROH has lost £000s by not having that desirable seat on sale.

Edited by capybara

41 minutes ago, capybara said:

When the seats nearer the stage were available, A100 was grouped price-wise with those nearer the stage whereas A99 was grouped with another 5 further away. They seemed to have taken the first group seats 'off sale' while leaving the physical seat still there.

Knowledgeable Stalls Circle standers sometimes used it and, also, Ushers would place people there. But, over several years, the ROH has lost £000s by not having that desirable seat on sale.

34 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

There is now just a space above the side of the orchestra pit beyond A100 where seats used to be; I understand the idea is to allow more space for the sound to escape to help avoid damaging the hearing of orchestra members.

I know about the gap for the orchestra pit extension, as I almost always sit side stalls circle when seeing opera at the ROH. However you'd think they would have checked carefully which seats were still physically there when they made the change in the first place! I see that, having "rediscovered" A100, it's now been put in the same price group as A99-inwards so they're evidently trying to make up for the loss of revenue by now selling it at a higher price!

13 hours ago, fashionista said:

R&J is usually a fast seller but plenty of seats still available - I booked as Friends+ and noticed that it is the chepaer seats that have sold.

I'm not sure if I should view this as promising, in that there will hopefully still be seats left to buy on 30th, or worrying, in that I may not be able to afford any of them! Especially as I'm currently trying to decide which cast to see - Lamb/Muntagirov, Hamilton/Clarke, Hayward/Corrales or Nunez/Clarke. It's so much easier with ROH opera, when you have at most 2 casts to choose from.

Edited by Dawnstar
Added last quote & reply.

10 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I see that, having "rediscovered" A100, it's now been put in the same price group as A99-inwards so they're evidently trying to make up for the loss of revenue by now selling it at a higher price!

I don't think A100 is a worse seat than  A99-inwards, so I don't see any reason to price it cheaper.

Regarding R & J, there are  quite a number of cheaper seats available at present, and I expect there will still be a reasonable choice at kick-off on the 30th.  

Edited by Richard LH

1 hour ago, thewinelake said:

Trying to work out which performance to see. I have a soft spot for Yasmine Naghdi, but the date that's most convenient has Akane Takada.... Both with Sambé. Any views to help us decide?!

I thought Takada was dancing with Campbell and they do of course have the cinema relay which I’m sure will be great.  Naghdi/Sambe also looks fabulous although I’m struggling to recall what they’ve danced together - no doubt I’ll kick myself when someone points out what I’ve forgotten!  But I think you might be rather spoilt for choices here.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, thewinelake said:

Trying to work out which performance to see. I have a soft spot for Yasmine Naghdi, but the date that's most convenient has Akane Takada.... Both with Sambé. Any views to help us decide?!

Might it be relevant to point out that anything Osipova does is bound to be interesting?

• Like 2