Schubert’s last Piano Sonata

JohnS

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0001yfp

Schubert’s final piano sonata No, 21 in B-flat major, D960 - today’s Radio 4 ‘Soul Music’.  I wouldn’t normally choose to listen to people’s voices over music but this really is a gem of a programme.  It helps that the speakers are so eloquent and a number are pianists - Imogen Cooper, Steven Osborne and James Lisney.  I listened whilst driving to the station and just had to hear to the end when I’d got to the car park.

• Like 2

I've just discovered the programmes of performance and masterclasses etc by the students at the two colleges of Music ....The Royal Academy and the Royal College.

Yes I know the Grosse Fugue piece ....am trying to remember the costumes!! 

7 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I've just discovered the programmes of performance and masterclasses etc by the students at the two colleges of Music ....The Royal Academy and the Royal College.

Yes I know the Grosse Fugue piece ....am trying to remember the costumes!! 

Not sure whether they were long skirts or skirt looking trousers, if you know what I mean. It was many years,ago, but I seem to remember that it made rather a feature of role reversal

On ‎09‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 16:54, JohnS said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0001yfp

Schubert’s final piano sonata No, 21 in B-flat major, D960 - today’s Radio 4 ‘Soul Music’.  I wouldn’t normally choose to listen to people’s voices over music but this really is a gem of a programme.  It helps that the speakers are so eloquent and a number are pianists - Imogen Cooper, Steven Osborne and James Lisney.  I listened whilst driving to the station and just had to hear to the end when I’d got to the car park.

I heard this programme by chance and thought it was wonderful!

• Like 1

some years ago there was a performance at the Holland Park theatre of a ballet to Schubert 's Fantasie in F minor. it was, if I remember correctly, choreographed by David Drew. At that time, I didn't know the music at all, but it made a great impression, rather more than the ballet! 

I think that happened for me with Beethovens Hammerklavier sonata (I think it's no.29) ....another late one ...one of the opus one hundred and somethings.....I can't remember who choreographed the ballet....that wasn't Van Manen too was it? it was a very nice piece but it was the music that really caught my attention! One of those went out the next day and bought ....probably a vinyl record or tape in those days!

I have the CD now. Have no idea if new CD players are still being made though....mine is ancient!

Edited by LinMM

58 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

Anyone who knows better can correct me but I'm sure that Van Manen used the Hammerklavier.

You're perfectly correct and it is on a film celebrating Van Manen's 75th birthday. I discovered it on my Kindle Fire stick and love it. Would love to see his work at the ROH instead of endless McGregor!

• Like 1