4 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Are there any others? 

Well, it depends on the context, but he also did Swan Lake and Sleeping Beauty.

Posted (edited)
On 19/03/2019 at 01:02, alison said:

I've been wondering whether any of Sleeping Beauty, Swan Lake, Nutcracker (and probably Alice, now you mention it) were going to be shoehorned in to offset the poor takings this spring.  I mean, the market surely can't bear any more Romeo & Juliets on top of the 26 currently scheduled (and I notice the majority of them are still quite a way from being sold out yet).

Just been catching up on this thread.  Have the takings been poor, Alison?  Whenever I have checked, the ballet seems to have been sold out.  

Edited by Fonty

1 hour ago, bangorballetboy said:

Well, it depends on the context, but he also did Swan Lake and Sleeping Beauty.

Weren't  those for the Deutsche Oper?  I imagine they are not likely versions for the RB in the context of their choices for 2019/20.  

8 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Are there any others? 

In the context of full-length ballets, don't forget Isadora (though in view of how dreadful it was, forgetfulness might be the best approach!).

Incidentally, the 1973 Beauty production for the Royal Ballet was by MacMillan and was based on his earlier Berlin production (though not identical).

• Like 4

On 19/03/2019 at 14:09, Darlex said:

I don't want to see My Brother, My Sisters  either - otherwise yes to a MacMillan triple bill or his original Prince of the Pagodas.

I'm with you Darlex. Would LOVE for Prince and the Pagodas to come back! One of my fave scores of all time. 

Apart from that, I'd love to see a MacMillan triple with Rite of Spring, Requiem and Concerto. 

• Like 3

Received this in the friends monthly update email, from memory in previous years I think there has been an announcement online prior to the guide being posted out, but perhaps not this year: 

Details for next Season will be announced in mid-May, when you will receive the 2019/20 season guide alongside your autumn magazine.

• Like 1

That would be very late, over a month later than any major house outside Russia (possibly excepting La Scala, whose season begins in November or December).

We might end up with ROH announcing after ENO, which I can’t remember happening before.

It's very late given that BRB and ENB have announced their 2019/20 seasons and NB have announced till the end of 2019.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Riva said:

Received this in the friends monthly update email, from memory in previous years I think there has been an announcement online prior to the guide being posted out, but perhaps not this year: 

Details for next Season will be announced in mid-May, when you will receive the 2019/20 season guide alongside your autumn magazine.

That would be incredibly late, but I wonder whether that's what they actually mean?  I can't imagine there wouldn't be an announcement to the press beforehand.  After all, the lead times for printing the period brochures always used to be a matter of weeks rather than months, so the information would have to be confirmed well in advance.

Posted (edited)

It's not as if their arts output is important compared with all the exciting new things they're doing - the cafe, the web page re-design, the marketing strategy and so on. We must be reasonable. They have to concentrate on the essentials, not fiddling announcements about operas & ballets and things! 

Edited by David
  • Like 14

14 minutes ago, David said:

It's not as if their arts output is important compared with all the exciting new things they're doing - the cafe, the web page re-design, the marketing strategy and so on. We must be reasonable. They have to concentrate on the essentials, not fiddling announcements about operas & ballets and things! 

Hahahaha!............................................ and especially not information about ballet casting!

[Thank you for "the laugh of the day", David.]

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

That would be very late, over a month later than any major house outside Russia (possibly excepting La Scala, whose season begins in November or December).

We might end up with ROH announcing after ENO, which I can’t remember happening before.

Stuttgart doesn't usually announce its season till June.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, toursenlair said:

Stuttgart doesn't usually announce its season till June.

They've announced for the opera, though.

Edited to clarify: they've announced the outline of the season but the details will follow in late May.

Edited by Lizbie1

14 hours ago, David said:

Yes, and have you noticed that when you now click onto a performance page it tells you how many items related to that production are available to buy in the shop.