4 hours ago, FLOSS said:

I have always assumed that Les Rendezvous was one of the ballets which the company took on their ill-fated British Council tour to Holland in 1940 and that it was one of the ballets which the company lost when they had their narrow escape from the advancing German army but that it was so popular that it was reinstated and given the designs which most people who saw the ballet from the 1940's onwards would recognise as belonging to it.

I'd never heard of this so I've just been Googling to find out more. Most of this article is behind a pay wall but the visible part lists the ballets lost & Les Rendezvous isn't among them https://www.jstor.org/stable/1567764?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

On 02/01/2019 at 14:54, Fonty said:

My comments are aimed at the RB, as they are the company I see the most of. I would like to see no money being wasted on new ballets by people such as McGregor for the main stage, and for the RB to stick to classical ballets on the main stage.  If they want to experiment with modern stuff they can do it in the Linbury, which would probably provide a better setting for it.  Instead, I would like to see the money being spent on reviving some of the things mentioned above, such as Cinderella. I definitely would like to see something other than A Month in the Country as one of the Ashton ballets on triple bills.  I don't know why that one keeps being programmed, when there is so much to choose from.  Personally, I adore Monotones 1 & 2.  

I love the idea of Coppelia, I haven't seen that for ages.  As well as Onegin, I wouldn't mind seeing another Cranko ballet being brought into the rep.  Does the RB ever do Pineapple Poll?  I've only ever seen it by the BRB.  And I've never seen any of his other stuff.  

But my main hope would be that the RB continues to dance things that enable them to maintain a fantastic standard of classical ballet dancing, with special emphasis on the things needed to master the Ashton style to perfection. 

There's a nice DVD of Merle Park and David Blair in RB's Pineapple Poll. I think RB only danced it a couple of seasons at the end of the 50s. I, too would love to see it back at Covent Garden. It think would suit so many of the current dancers. 

Agree with your comments about Month and Monotones (thank goodness KOH has brought the latter back twice since he took charge). I love Month and The Dream, but it seems they take precedence over many other Ashton works. 

• Like 3

For the RB, for "full length" ballets I would like to see (not necessarily in this chronological order):

The "new" Swan Lake  (THIS time with a debut for Ms Hayward as O/O)

Coppelia

Onegin

Sleeping Beauty

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

La Fille mal gardee

Woolf Works

(a year, therefore, to miss out The Nutcracker)

Included in multi-bills I would like the RB to put on:

The Dream

Serenade 

...other "shorts" should  come to mind when I have had chance to think/research a bit more..

• Like 2

My RB season 19/20 would be;

Ashton’s Cinderella, Ondine (tribute to Fonteyn) and as part of a triple bill, La Valse,

Coppelia,

Would love to see Le Tricorne (Massine) again - one can live in hope!

As has been mentioned previously, Enigma Variations - I’m sure with the current level of talent within the RB and choice of casts that this would offer, it would be absolutely amazing.

I always loved Daphnis and Chloe and surely it’s about time the RB revived it?

Other ballets - Monotones 1 and 2, Dances at a Gathering, Façade, Checkmate.

• Like 4

It's a relief that Onegin was last danced by RB in 2015; I was thinking it was earlier than this, possibly 2013. Therefore, even if there is a 5 year period during which it has to be performed if the RB were to keep it we should still be ok (just) for the 2020/21 season if the travesty of not programming it for next season is committed. Though if it is not programmed then perhaps we'll have to fall back on the idea of chaining ourselves to Kevin O' Hara's desk until he agrees to schedule it! Alternatively writing en masse to Alex Beard as he actually seems to read people's correspondence and reply.

Incidentally, where do people find out about past RB performances on the ROH website? I don't find it very user friendly for things like this (or indeed most things these days).

• Like 1

I have much fonder memories of ENB performing Onegin and would love to see them have a stab at it again...

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Incidentally, where do people find out about past RB performances on the ROH website?

You could try having a look at this.  I’m told work is ongoing to update the performance information as there’s a gap from 2012-13.

http://rohcollections.org.uk/performances.aspx

Brilliant, thanks very much for this, JohnS.

Posted (edited)

Onegin

Apollo

In The Night

Daphnis and Chloe

Seranade

Edited by TheaG
  • Like 2

Onegin

Concerto

Cinderella

Would love to see Coppelia again (it's been ages since RB danced it last)

Swan Lake (please Mr O'Hare, this time around a Muntagirov/Naghdi partnership)

Rite of Spring

Monotones I & II

Requiem

Manon

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Springbourne3 said:

My RB season 19/20 would be;

Ashton’s Cinderella, Ondine (tribute to Fonteyn) and as part of a triple bill, La Valse,

Coppelia,

Would love to see Le Tricorne (Massine) again - one can live in hope!

As has been mentioned previously, Enigma Variations - I’m sure with the current level of talent within the RB and choice of casts that this would offer, it would be absolutely amazing.

I always loved Daphnis and Chloe and surely it’s about time the RB revived it?

Other ballets - Monotones 1 and 2, Dances at a Gathering, Façade, Checkmate.

Although I like La Valse, it has come around rather often in the past 30 years, although only once since KOH has been director. It's about time we saw some other Ashton rather than the usual one-act suspects, which in my book are: Marguerite and Armand, A Month in the Country, The Dream and La Valse.

But, I love all your other suggestions Springbourne3, and like you, I think that the company is possibly more strongly placed than in recent times to make a good go of Enigma. Am I right in thinking that only two dancers have ever taken on the role of Elgar himself at Covent Garden? They are Derek Rencher, the role's originator, and Christopher Saunders. May I suggest a third? - Nehemiah Kish

Woolf Works please.

and some information on Edward Watson. There is being a private person😇 and dropping off the radar😪

And another year without Fille!

• Like 2

Well, Mr Watson is at the NPG on 11 January..maybe he will say something about how he is. I do hope he is on the mend.

He is billed rather interestingly I thought as 'the only British Principal at the RB currently performing'.

A bit odd as, although Matthew Ball is of course away from RB  at present, Ed has not himself performed for a while, sadly.

• Like 1

I was getting all cross about that but just checked on the NPG site and it does actually say  'British male Principal'.

Sorry Jane S my careless mistake to leave out 'male'.

14 hours ago, Darlex said:
14 hours ago, Darlex said:

Although I like La Valse, it has come around rather often in the past 30 years, although only once since KOH has been director. It's about time we saw some other Ashton rather than the usual one-act suspects, which in my book are: Marguerite and Armand, A Month in the Country, The Dream and La Valse.

But, I love all your other suggestions Springbourne3, and like you, I think that the company is possibly more strongly placed than in recent times to make a good go of Enigma. Am I right in thinking that only two dancers have ever taken on the role of Elgar himself at Covent Garden? They are Derek Rencher, the role's originator, and Christopher Saunders. May I suggest a third? - Nehemiah Kish

Thanks for your reply Darlex - Yes, only Derek Rencher (whom I saw perform this role) and Saunders (who I haven’t seen).  I think N Kish would be very well suited to the role of Elgar - an excellent suggestion 😊. M Nunez as Lady Elgar perhaps? Or C Calvert?  I see James Hay as Troyte.

• Like 4

Wow!  I remember Dowell saying that he couldn't walk the next day after he danced that role. Would any of the men today take it that fast, I wonder? 

The last time I saw Enigma, I thought it was very disappointing.  It seemed to lack life, and came across as a bit staid and dull. 

• Like 3

That makes me feel so nostalgic! Enigma Variations was the first ballet I ever saw (in October 1977), and Dowell was Troyte, and (exceptionally!) I was sitting in the stalls circle very near the stage. So I saw Dowell close-up in this solo. Not bad for a balletic initiation!

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Springbourne3 said:

Thanks for your reply Darlex - Yes, only Derek Rencher (whom I saw perform this role) and Saunders (who I haven’t seen).  I think N Kish would be very well suited to the role of Elgar - an excellent suggestion 😊. M Nunez as Lady Elgar perhaps? Or C Calvert?  I see James Hay as Troyte.

A pleasure. and thank you for yours.

I thought Christina Arestis made a rather moving and most elegant Lady Elgar last time around, and I would like to see her in the role again. 

Claire Calvert danced Isobel Fitton last time. I don't know if it was the right role for her, but then it must be difficult to feel totally at home in a role when you only have 2 or 3 shows and no further opportunities to perform it. 

You're right: James Hay could be a fantastic Troyte..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mary said:

Sorry Jane S my careless mistake to leave out 'male'.

But it's still wrong, surely? At the risk of sounding pedantic.....................

Edward Watson has not been on the ROH stage for over a year, alas, with, as PenelopeSimpson points out, no official news of his  problems or future plans and no current mentions in forward casting. Matthew Ball was there a couple of months ago and is merely on temporary leave with several RB performances, including a cinema broadcast, scheduled.

I guess that some PR people got too accustomed to Ed being, indeed, the only male British Principal......................

• Like 2

Yes- that was my original point- that to say he is the only male British Prinicpal currently performing is sadly not the case.

And I always think it’s such a strange boast anyway, sort of forlorn!

interesting to read the various comments on what we would like to see. I suspect the main problem is that a number of performances have to be more or less guaranteed to.put bums on seats, hence numerous Nutcrackers and Swan Lakes. I am sure that the costs involved in mounting some of the earlier Ashton and Macmillan works would be pretty high and unlikely to appeal to a general public. We've seen how works like Manon and Fille can be difficult to sell; think what would happen to Les Rendezvous, or Scenes de Ballet. I suppose the current lower prices for triple bills encourages people to attend, although I think tickets for these are still offered as 'specials'  in Time Out etc. But selling unknown ballets to the wider public is difficult, and we can't blame KOH for trying to steer a safe course. And all this is before the needs of his dancers is taken into accout!

Just been torturing myself by looking as Sarasota Ballets programme; so many great things to see. However, they are also performing Enigma Variations (as part of a triple with Patineurs and Diamonds) and says it is 50 years since it was first performed. Do you think this might give Kevin ideas for autumn? They are also premiering Ashton's Varii Capricci which sounds intriguing and his Apparitions. Lucky Sarasota!

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Just been torturing myself by looking as Sarasota Ballets programme; so many great things to see. However, they are also performing Enigma Variations (as part of a triple with Patineurs and Diamonds) and says it is 50 years since it was first performed. Do you think this might give Kevin ideas for autumn? They are also premiering Ashton's Varii Capricci which sounds intriguing and his Apparitions. Lucky Sarasota!

If Kevin programmed Enigma for autumn 2019, we would be celebrating it's 51st anniversary - still, the sooner the better.

4 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

interesting to read the various comments on what we would like to see. I suspect the main problem is that a number of performances have to be more or less guaranteed to.put bums on seats, hence numerous Nutcrackers and Swan Lakes. I am sure that the costs involved in mounting some of the earlier Ashton and Macmillan works would be pretty high and unlikely to appeal to a general public. We've seen how works like Manon and Fille can be difficult to sell; think what would happen to Les Rendezvous, or Scenes de Ballet. I suppose the current lower prices for triple bills encourages people to attend, although I think tickets for these are still offered as 'specials'  in Time Out etc. But selling unknown ballets to the wider public is difficult, and we can't blame KOH for trying to steer a safe course. And all this is before the needs of his dancers is taken into accout!

But, I think I am right in saying that the all Ashton mixed/triple bills he has programmed were sold out. 

• Like 1

On 04/01/2019 at 21:33, Jan McNulty said:

I have much fonder memories of ENB performing Onegin and would love to see them have a stab at it again...

I remember the first time I saw it with Patricia Ruanne......

• Like 4

8 hours ago, bridiem said:

That makes me feel so nostalgic! Enigma Variations was the first ballet I ever saw (in October 1977), and Dowell was Troyte, and (exceptionally!) I was sitting in the stalls circle very near the stage. So I saw Dowell close-up in this solo. Not bad for a balletic initiation!

Now that's a wonderful memory....

• Like 3