Sign in to follow this  
capybara

MARGOT FONTEYN CENTENARY

Talking of costumes and outfits, I was also very interested to see a number of items of Fonteyn's included in the Dior exhibition at the V&A.  From memory there were several hats, a couple of dresses and I think a two-piece suit.  It was fascinating to get an idea of her size and shape from these (I have to say as an aside that the outfits I enjoyed the most at the exhibition weren't necessarily the show pieces, or the ones made for celebrities, but the ones made for real clients, some of whom were clearly not model shapes or sizes!).

• Like 3

Thanks for the reminder, onemouseplace - I'd totally forgotten that I was intending to go and see it!

2 hours ago, alison said:

Thanks for the reminder, onemouseplace - I'd totally forgotten that I was intending to go and see it!

If you haven’t ready booked for it, or are a V & A member, it’s now completely sold out so you won’t be able to. It’s already been extended from July to September and that has sold out as well.

12 minutes ago, MrsBBB said:

Also in the News section of the ROH website: the Genée will be renamed the Margot Fonteyn International Ballet Competition from next year in honour of Dame Margot’s centenary. The competition will be hosted at the ROH in September 2020.

https://www.roh.org.uk/news/royal-opera-house-to-host-royal-academy-of-dances-prestigious-ballet-competition-in-september-2020

Hmm. Not sure about this, though I can see the thinking. The Genée awards have a long history, and were named thus for good reason.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Pulcinella said:

If you haven’t ready booked for it, or are a V & A member, it’s now completely sold out so you won’t be able to. It’s already been extended from July to September and that has sold out as well.

Oh dear :(  

It is a tad overdue. They must know who is dancing that night..or will they just rope in whoever is standing around? ( which could be good admittedly!)

• Like 2

I wasn't really expecting updates before the event - I'm just looking forward to going to it!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bridiem said:

I wasn't really expecting updates before the event - I'm just looking forward to going to it!

Ditto. I already have a ticket and will be going so I don't really care about knowing in advance who or what it is going to be.

I think for those of us who would have to travel some distance (and at some expense) it’s very helpful to know the programme in advance.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I think for those of us who would have to travel some distance (and at some expense) it’s very helpful to know the programme in advance.

But surely it's sold out? Do you mean you might try to get a last-minute ticket?

12 minutes ago, bridiem said:

But surely it's sold out? Do you mean you might try to get a last-minute ticket?

I have a ticket but would like to know whether I’d be better off returning it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I have a ticket but would like to know whether I’d be better off returning it.

Oh, I see.

I just realize that I booked 2 tickets in Amphi for this gala but my friend will not be in town in June... One spare ticket it means. It is time to call the old friends...

Whereas the UK's Royal Mail is too busy producing Harry Potter / Star Wars / Marvel Comics / Game of Thrones stamps to bother with Dame Margot?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, alison said:

Whereas the UK's Royal Mail is too busy producing Harry Potter / Star Wars / Marvel Comics / Game of Thrones stamps to bother with Dame Margot?

Fonteyn was on a UK stamp in 1996, as part of a series celebrating women of achievement in the 20th century.

• Like 1

Sepia?  B&W?  or something similar?  Yes, I maybe remember it.  Now, where are my stamp albums? :) 

There's currently one ticket for the centenary programme online at (fairly significantly) under £100, and another two which ... aren't :) 

Posted (edited)

60+ tickets currently available on the ROH website across all areas, from £5-£125. Goodness knows where they've all come from but weeks of checking have finally paid off! I've just snaffled a pair of £55 side stalls circle for me & my mother.

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

60+ tickets currently available on the ROH website across all areas, from £5-£125. Goodness knows where they've all come from but weeks of checking have finally paid off! I've just snaffled a pair of £55 side stalls circle for me & my mother.

I managed to get a ticket late Saturday - presumably a last minute cancellation.

17 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Thank you. I already had a ticket but have been looking for one for my mum. Have now snapped up a rear amphi. 

• Like 1

Thanks Dawnstar.  I have a ticket in my basket but am umm-and-ahhing about it.  Other than Firebird (which we will see in any case in the triple bill) does anyone have any clue what else will be on the programme? I have been "bitten" by terrible gala programming before....

3 minutes ago, Lindsay said:

Thanks Dawnstar.  I have a ticket in my basket but am umm-and-ahhing about it.  Other than Firebird (which we will see in any case in the triple bill) does anyone have any clue what else will be on the programme? I have been "bitten" by terrible gala programming before....

Oh dear, now you tell me, I’ve snapped up a £55 stalls circle seat knowing only that the Firebird features (I’m already seeing what was to be the  three Firebirds until Tierny Heap had surgery) and have no idea what else there is other than the hint in the ‘Background’ paragraph. 

Given that the blurb on the website says "works indelibly associated with" Fonteyn I'm hoping that there won't be anything ultra-modern so decided I'd take the risk! I've never been to a ballet gala so it'll be a new experience. I'm assuming they'll wheel out a reasonable number of (the uninjured!) principals & 1st soloists.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

60+ tickets currently available on the ROH website across all areas, from £5-£125. Goodness knows where they've all come from

Well, the balcony ones are the ones they release once they decide that there's probably no more demand for wheelchair spaces.

• Like 1