Balthazar reading

hfbrew

OK, so I wondered if any learned folks on here have a copy of "Balthazaar adapted by TS Eliot" that my son was once privileged to read at the White Lodge Carol Service. (Over ten years ago!) . It begins "It was cold especially the nights". Intensive trawling online has not yielded anything other than the more well known Journey of the Magi that is also by TS Eliot with similar verse. "Balthazaar adapted by TS Eliot" is the description that is on the carol service sheet that I kept all these years. 

I have emailed the school but obviously don't expect to hear back just yet. 

Another line we remember is "the camel men were unruly"! 

Have tried poetry sites, British library, TS Eliot sites etc etc so it's become a bit of an unimportant obsession. And no doubt there is a copy hidden in amongst my sons old books. 

But just maybe there may be another person on this site who once read the same poem as a White Lodger or knows someone who did. And can actually produce a copy? 

Please? 

Edited by hfbrew
Edit to correct auto correct

On ‎04‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 13:23, bridiem said:

I haven't found anything, hfbrew; I'm wondering it it's possible that this was actually 'Balthazaar, adapted FROM TS Eliot'? i.e. an adaptation of The Return of the Magi?

… or even, The Journey of the Magi?! (Which is what I meant)

On 04/01/2019 at 13:23, bridiem said:

I haven't found anything, hfbrew; I'm wondering it it's possible that this was actually 'Balthazaar, adapted FROM TS Eliot'? i.e. an adaptation of The Return of the Magi?

"From "makes far more sense thank you! 

However despite my best efforts I still can't find it anywhere online. Journey of the Magi is the closest, which is not surprising as it is the inspiration for the version that I am looking for. 

It definitely began "It was cold especially the nights" and whilst I don't know whether it's still read at the White Lodge carol service, it was for at least two of the years that my son was there. Unbelievably that is ten years ago! If anyone does get back to me from RBS I will let you know. 

And thanks to those of you who have also tried looking! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, alison said:

I'm guessing someone just paraphrased TSE? 

Most likely which is why it is proving elusive. But it was quite a moving reflection of Balthazaars point of view and as a family we would love a copy. I will try the school again directly if I don't hear back. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Well what do you know I found my sons copy of the poem today that he read at the Royal Ballet School Christmas Carol service all those years ago. 

It was an adaptation from TS Eliot by Gerard Benson. 

Lock down has meant a long overdue sort out of the lodge at the bottom of the garden and said poem had been hidden in plain view all this time. 

• Like 8

I’m so glad you’ve found it! I remember reading  your original post and fully understanding how you felt! 
I’m also very intrigued about the lodge at the bottom of the garden, sounds fab, I do hope it’s as charming as I’m imagining, red brick, with an arched window and a small patch of nettles at one corner - oh dear maybe lockdown is getting to me! 

Edited by Bex does ballet
  • Like 1