Press Release: Birmingham Royal Ballet's Beauty and the Beast & casting - Spring Tour 2019

BIRMINGHAM ROYAL BALLET’S BEAUTY AND THE BEAST

A national tour of David Bintley’s gothic fairytale from January 2019

Delia Mathews as Belle and Brandon Lawrence as the Beast; photo Bella Kotak 2
aa 
Mayflower Theatre, Southampton: 30 January – 2 February 2019
Birmingham Hippodrome: 19 February – 2 March 2019
Theatre Royal Plymouth: 6 – 9 March 2019
Festival Theatre Edinburgh: 13 – 16 March 2019
The Lowry Salford: 20 – 23 March 2019
Sunderland Empire: 28 – 30 March 2019
Bristol Hippodrome: 1 – 4 May 2019

The storybook fantasy of Birmingham Royal Ballet’s Beauty and the Beast unfolds on a national tour from January to May 2019. Love conquers all in David Bintley’s mysterious and magical production, which highlights the intriguing darkness of the original 18th century fairytale. 

A cruel Prince, cursed to spend the rest of his life living in a fantastical castle with the animals he callously hunted, finds salvation in the heart of a beautiful girl. 

Caught stealing a single rose, Belle’s desperate father exchanges his youngest daughter’s freedom for his own life. In his distant castle the Beast, stripped of his handsome features and his very humanity, must win her heart, or spend the rest of his life in bitter solitude...

In this enchanting story of inner beauty, witness transformations, wild waltzes, soaring birds and a relationship between Belle and the Beast that is at first terrifying, but ultimately serene and beautiful. 

As previously announced, David Bintley will step down as Director of Birmingham Royal Ballet in June 2019 after 24 years with the Company. 

Beauty and the Beast
January – May 2019

Choreography: David Bintley

Music: Glen Buhr
Designs: Philip Prowse
Lighting: Mark Jonathan

Mayflower Theatre, Southampton

22-26 Commercial Rd, Southampton, SO15 1GE; 023 8071 1811
mayflower.org.uk

Wednesday 30 January (PRESS NIGHT, 7.15pm) – Saturday 2 February

Birmingham Hippodrome

Hurst St, Southside, Birmingham, B5 4TB; 0844 338 5000
birminghamhippodrome.com

Tuesday 19 February (PRESS NIGHT, 7.30pm) – Saturday 2 March

Plymouth Theatre Royal

Royal Parade, Plymouth, PL1 2TR; 01752 267222
theatreroyal.com

Wednesday 6 (PRESS NIGHT, 7.30pm) – Saturday 9 March

Edinburgh Festival Theatre

13-29 Nicolson St, Edinburgh, EH8 9FT; 0131 529 6000
edtheatres.com/festival
Wednesday 13 (PRESS NIGHT, 7.30pm) - Saturday 16 March

The Lowry, Salford
Lowry Outlet, Pier 8, The Quays, Salford, M50 3AZ; 0843 208 6000
thelowry.com
Wednesday 20 (PRESS NIGHT, 7.30pm) – Saturday 23 March

Sunderland Empire
High Street West, Sunderland, SR1 3EX; 0844 871 7627
atgtickets.com/venues/sunderland-empire

Thursday 28 (PRESS NIGHT, 7.30pm) – Saturday 30 March

Bristol Hippodrome
St Augustine’s Parade, Bristol, BS1 4UZ; 0844 871 7627
atgtickets.com/venues/bristol-hippodrome
Thursday 1 (PRESS NIGHT, 7.30pm) – Saturday 4 May

NOTES TO EDITORS: 

Birmingham Royal Ballet 
Based at Birmingham Hippodrome since 1990, Birmingham Royal Ballet is the United Kingdom’s leading classical ballet touring company performing a range of traditional, classical and heritage ballets as well as ground-breaking new works with the aim of encouraging choreographers of the future.

The company’s Director is the award-winning David Bintley, CBE and Music Director is Koen Kessels. Birmingham Royal Ballet performs at Birmingham Hippodrome for approximately ten weeks of the year and the remainder of the year tours throughout the United Kingdom and overseas.   

The Royal Ballet Sinfonia is Britain's busiest ballet orchestra, playing for Birmingham Royal Ballet's wide-ranging programme in the UK and abroad. The Sinfonia also plays frequently for The Royal Ballet and many of the world's other leading ballet companies, including regular performances with; The Royal Ballet, Paris Opéra Ballet, New York City Ballet, Australian Ballet, Les Grands Ballets Canadiens, the Kirov, Norwegian Ballet, Atlanta Ballet, San Francisco Ballet and La Scala Ballet.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

I had the sound turned down, and wasn't looking at the screen at the time, so I don't know whether there was any discussion, but at the end of BBC2's Front Row Late this evening there was a chunk of what I suspect was the promo video for this production.  Check it out on BBC iPlayer if you can.

2 minutes ago, capybara said:

I somehow think that this will be the last outing for this kind of rep. as I sense that Acosta will be eschewing much of Bintley.

Do you really think so?

I sincerely hope not. David Bintley is a fantastic choreographer - so underrated, when you consider the wonderful ballets he has created since the 80's and compare them with MacGregor's, Wheeldon or Scarlett.....🥴

I'm staying positive, yes there will be changes - but not necessarily all negative and no longer performing Bintley's ballets would be a huge mistake!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sharon said:

Do you really think so?

I sincerely hope not. David Bintley is a fantastic choreographer - so underrated, when you consider the wonderful ballets he has created since the 80's and compare them with MacGregor's, Wheeldon or Scarlett.....🥴

I'm staying positive, yes there will be changes - but not necessarily all negative and no longer performing Bintley's ballets would be a huge mistake!

I think that's true, partly because of the works themselves (I'm not a fan of all of them, but some are terrific) but also because they are now so ingrained in BRB that it would be a huge discontinuity to discard them. He's as much part of the company's heritage now as Ashton and MacMillan and that should be respected.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, capybara said:

I agree but, if I were Acosta, I would want to be selective.

Any incoming AD is going to want to be selective because they will want to make their own mark.  If he is sensible however Acosta will keep the best of Bintley in the rep (a couple of the full lengths and one acters as well).

• Like 8

Casting has been published for Southampton next week ( 30th Jan - 2nd Feb):

https://www.brb.org.uk/whats-on/event/beauty-and-the-beast-2019

Three casts:  Delia Matthews/Tyrone Singleton, Momoko Hirata/Cesar Morales, Maureya Lebowitz/Yasuo Atsuji

Given the number of performances over the next couple of weeks I assume there will be at least one more cast during the run (maybe Celine/Brandon?).

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Press Release: Birmingham Royal Ballet's Beauty and the Beast & casting - Spring Tour 2019
44 minutes ago, Pulcinella said:

Maybe not Celine as she is currently in Australia according to the post about the change in the Australian repertory.

I understand that Miss Gittens is learning the role of the Queen of Hearts (she has said as much on public social media - as Naomi M posted while I was writing this!). It is a month (25 Feb) until the opening of the Brisbane season, and it would be unusual for her to remain here that long. 

However...AusBallet is currently very short of principal women: two retired in December and two are on maternity leave (one is an Alice but won't be back until mid-year, the other a Queen and is off all year), which leaves two, both of whom are Alices. Of the three female senior artists remaining at the end of 2018, two are Alices, the other a Queen. If I remember correctly there is only one other current company dancer who has performed the Queen, i.e. there are just two active who have already performed the role (and there's maybe one I see as suitable who is possibly learning it).

My guess is that we may see Miss Gittens in both Brisbane and Melbourne. I do hope so as I'm not going to Brisvegas and I have seen her in the UK and would love to see her in Melbourne!

Edited by Sophoife
Add comment re other post
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

While I'm very pleased for BRB to see that they're selling 2 weeks of this so well, I'm shocked at the prices - starting from £26 for the back row of the circle! (I see the Hippodrome has gone back to its nasty old habit of quoting the disabled price as the bottom price).  I thought they only did things like that for The Nutcracker?  Since they weren't bringing it to London, I'd intended to go and see it in Birmingham, but not at those prices!  Are they using dynamic pricing now?

6 minutes ago, alison said:

While I'm very pleased for BRB to see that they're selling 2 weeks of this so well, I'm shocked at the prices - starting from £26 for the back row of the circle! (I see the Hippodrome has gone back to its nasty old habit of quoting the disabled price as the bottom price).  I thought they only did things like that for The Nutcracker?  Since they weren't bringing it to London, I'd intended to go and see it in Birmingham, but not at those prices!  Are they using dynamic pricing now?

Sleeping Beauty last year was similarly priced.

• 2 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 14:49, Jan McNulty said:

Casting is also now up for all the venues except Bristol.  The link above will take you there.

Casting is up for Bristol too (and I'd guess has been for a while, since it's on this week).

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 16:02, alison said:

Fortunately, bottom prices at Bristol appear to start from something around the £13 mark.  If only I could get back from there in the evening, I'd be hugely tempted by some of the casts.