ENB LONDON CASTING FOR SWAN LAKE JANUARY 2019

Principal Casting (In the order of Odette/Odile, Prince Siegfried)

Thursday 3January
Jurgita Dronina, Isaac Hernández

Friday 4 January
Alina Cojocaru, Jeffrey Cirio

Saturday 5 January (mat)
Erina Takahashi, Francesco Gabriele Frola

Saturday 5 January (eve)
Rina Kanehara, Joseph Caley

Sunday 6 January

Tuesday 8 January

Wednesday 9 January
Emma Hawes, Aitor Arrieta

Thursday 10 January (mat)
Shiori Kase, Ken Saruhashi

Thursday 10 January (eve)
Rina Kanehara, Joseph Caley

Friday 11 January
Erina Takahashi, Francesco Gabriele Frola

Saturday 12 January (mat)

Saturday 12 January (eve)

Sunday 13 January
Begoña Cao, Aitor Arrieta

• Like 3

Also included in the official press release:

Notes to Editors

Alongside performances, English National Ballet will host a range of workshops and events throughout the Winter, aimed to provide a gateway into the world of ballet. Activities include on-stage workshops for all ages, Live Drawing, Family Events, and behind-the-scenes talks. For more details, see www.ballet.org.uk/whats-on/

• 5 weeks later...

Can I hijack this thread to moan about the Coliseum website, which has performances marked as "Limited availability" or "very low availability" regardless of whether they have any tickets left?  Some of them are actually sold out despite showing tickets as being available, you'd expect "limited availability" to have more tickets than "very low", but no ...  It really is a mess!  (Perhaps I should try the allegedly sold out performances to see whether there are actually tickets available!)

I do hope they are going to do standing, as they have previously for Swan Lake ...

• Like 1

I don't believe it!  I've just checked the allegedly sold-out performances, and 3 of the 5 have a handful of seats available!  All top price, of course, but it just goes to show you shouldn't take the booking page at face value.

Alison, I was just about to post the exact same thing, having successfully nabbed a (pricey) ticket for Sunday's matinee about 20 minutes ago! At least when it shows as "sold out" it doesn't automatically deactivate the link, so this is possible.

I am excited to have done a bit of nabbing too - a ticket on Tuesday to see Cojocaru - the first time I have seen her live - with Cirio. 

There are still a few seats for some S L performances at the Coli.....if not, there are loads available for Manon here this month...in fact far too many for the ENB's liking I suspect.

I suspect that is the reason I have had a Manon trailer pop up in my Twitter timeline as a "Promoted Tweet" not just once today but several times.

It's not selling that badly, though - for the higher-profile casts the stalls are full.

I've got Balcony seats for 5 of the 8 Manon performances (which are all the ones I can manage) and am just waiting to hear about dates from a friend I'm hoping to take, at which point I'll upgrade myself to a posh seat at least once.

2 hours ago, alison said:

Can I hijack this thread to moan about the Coliseum website, which has performances marked as "Limited availability" or "very low availability" regardless of whether they have any tickets left?  Some of them are actually sold out despite showing tickets as being available, you'd expect "limited availability" to have more tickets than "very low", but no ...  It really is a mess!  (Perhaps I should try the allegedly sold out performances to see whether there are actually tickets available!)

I do hope they are going to do standing, as they have previously for Swan Lake ...

I checked this morning and managed to get stalls seats for the 'sold out' Swan Lake on Sat night.  

I don’t have the availability to go more than once, and my ticket expenditure last year came in a bit under budget, so the odd splash out is not currently a problem - especially as the ENB production is probably my favourite Swan Lake.

(by the way, should my planned Manon upgrade come to fruition, I’ll have my original Balcony seat available for resale.)

Unfortunately the website was correct for the performance I wanted, completely sold out when I rang (the last performance, Sunday matinee , 13 jan). I thought i'd booked it so have a train booked back to North Yorkshire in the evening, instead both ENB Swan Lake and the Matthew Bourne sold out so I'll have nowhere to go unless I can get a return!

1 hour ago, SheilaC said:

Unfortunately the website was correct for the performance I wanted, completely sold out when I rang (the last performance, Sunday matinee , 13 jan). I thought i'd booked it so have a train booked back to North Yorkshire in the evening, instead both ENB Swan Lake and the Matthew Bourne sold out so I'll have nowhere to go unless I can get a return!

VERY off topic but I’m trying to chisel out a couple of hours to see the Anglo-Saxon exhibition at the British Library, which is supposed to be fabulous and a once in a lifetime thing - so maybe if all else fails you could have a look at that.

Edited by Lizbie1

2 hours ago, SheilaC said:

Hi Shiela, vis a vis ENB - and I don't know if this of any practical value for you ... but I understand that they will be selling standing room for sold out performances.  The standing room is only sold on the day and - as far as I remember - usually does not sell out - because most people are not aware of it.  I believe the standing room is at the back of the Dress Circle (which is excellent because you have something to lean against - and often stand next to company members as that is what they receive) and the back of the balcony - which isn't because you really have to stand in vacuum or take the risk of knocking someone's head in the last row.  Also - if it is anything like tonight - the opening night - there will be scattered seats from people who - for whatever reason - do not actually show up.  

Just trying to give a little hope.  (Happy New Year - by the bye.)  

• Like 1

Perhaps your sources are better than mine, Bruce?  I do hope so - my information was that they didn't think there would be any standing.  I don't mind standing - it's often better than trying to squeeze into some of the more cramped seats, at the Coli or elsewhere.

Standing is always "at the management's discretion" and was only ever available at the Coliseum in the past if a show was completely sold out. In the case of a visiting company I am not sure whether the discretion being exercised when a decision is made to sell standing would be that of the Coli or that of ENB. As the Coliseum has few, if any, opera performances which sell out nowadays I should be surprised if anyone would think of selling standing unless they were prompted by being asked whether standing was available. Good luck with your search for a ticket.

Just to confirm what Alison said there is 'NO STANDING FOR SWAN LAKE'.  So sorry, Sheila.  I went trying to get a place for myself for tonight.  [I'd had a ticket to see Matthew Ball in AMP's SL - or I would have got an ENB one in the first place - but sadly neither are now going to happen for me.  Happily I've got another ticket for Cojocaru.  Still I got a day seat for a play I want to see. ;) ]  The box office woman told me that there was NO STANDING FOR SWAN LAKE twice.  Perhaps she thought my hearing was deficient.  I am elderly I know ... but still.  The Coliseum box office is now covered with dark brown curtains.  It looks funereal.  This is - it seems - and understandably - so the heat can be contained for the box office staff.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

Curses.  I'd been hoping to go tomorrow :(  I really can't see the logic in not providing standing, since the reviews haven't even come out yet and every performance is already effectively sold out.  I mean, even if there is literally one seat left somewhere in the stalls I think the chances of a standee actually locating it and daring to sit there are pretty slim!  After all, it would be extra income for ENB, and might help to offset the slow ticket sales for Manon somewhat.  Wonder whether we need to nag ENB or the Coliseum?

@FLOSS: ENO's Iolanthe and Porgy and Bess performances were sold out, and I wouldn't be surprised if there had been demand for standing - again, ENO could do with the extra money, presumably.

• Like 2

On 03/01/2019 at 14:58, RuthE said:

Alison, I was just about to post the exact same thing, having successfully nabbed a (pricey) ticket for Sunday's matinee about 20 minutes ago! At least when it shows as "sold out" it doesn't automatically deactivate the link, so this is possible.

Oh no! I checked tickets for this particular performance last week and it was sold out so I skipped my plans for grabbing a plane from Berlin...now it's too late. Would be grateful to read a review, please check out Shale Wagman in the Pas de Trois and let me know. Since last year's PdL I'm so "in love" with this so very young dancer!

Edited by Sabine0308

Sabine0308 from today I'm a new convert to Shale Wagman ....I've not seen him before but he is SO promising! 

You may be a bit jealous ....as I saw him in class so cannot comment too much ....but I picked him out immediately he is just a fabulous dancer from what I could see of him there and as they were taking it in turns couldn't wait for his group to do their bit again. He is excellent in all aspects of dance ....turning jumping and beautiful adage control with lovely height of legs and line etc!

I was actually doing a Swan Lake workshop on the Coli stage ....we learned the Hungarian Czardas dance and a bit of the entrance of the swans and then afterwards we were allowed to watch the class.....great stuff!! 

I haven't had time to do some research on Shale Wagman yet but in the back of my mind I have feeling he may have won the Prix de Lausanne this year....or nearly last year now! 

I don't think it will be long before he starts getting parts...so am very pleased to hear you say he is in the Pas de Trois in Swan Lake as I think he only joined the Company in the summer.

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

Sabine0308 from today I'm a new convert to Shale Wagman ....I've not seen him before but he is SO promising! 

You may be a bit jealous ....as I saw him in class so cannot comment too much ....but I picked him out immediately he is just a fabulous dancer from what I could see of him there and as they were taking it in turns couldn't wait for his group to do their bit again. He is excellent in all aspects of dance ....turning jumping and beautiful adage control with lovely height of legs and line etc!

I was actually doing a Swan Lake workshop on the Coli stage ....we learned the Hungarian Czardas dance and a bit of the entrance of the swans and then afterwards we were allowed to watch the class.....great stuff!! 

I haven't had time to do some research on Shale Wagman yet but in the back of my mind I have feeling he may have won the Prix de Lausanne this year....or nearly last year now! 

I don't think it will be long before he starts getting parts...so am very pleased to hear you say he is in the Pas de Trois in Swan Lake as I think he only joined the Company in the summer.

Ha! Nice to see another convert 😀. I watched the PdL on YouTube last year, wasn't impressed in the beginning when suddenly this young Canadian appeared on stage, and immediately, I was glued to the screen. He is just a beautiful, dedicated, determined, intelligent and indeed very promising young dancer. Everything you said! Yes he did win the 2018 PdL,  Gold medal plus the artistic prize donated by the Nureyev foundation. If you search for him on Instagram, you will find lots of video snippets (from class and PdL) plus he has a YouTube channel.  It's also worth to check the Galas of Princess Grace Academy where he graduated from in 2018 and he performed at least at 2 galas. All on YouTube. In Swanlake, Shale danced already in the PdT and in the Asian Dance (sorry forgot the correct title).  That is so nice that you could do a workshop with ENB...wow. Is this your hobby, or are you a professional dancer? Thanks for your post, makes me so happy.

• Like 2

I'm just an amateur dancer and ballet lover!! 

The ENB offer this wonderful opportunity to do workshops for amateur dancers on the Colisseum stage every winter when they are in London performing. They are great fun and not difficult ( or I wouldn't be able to do them!) You do have to book these well in advance though ....roundabout Aug/ Sept time when they announce their general Autumn activities and performances etc. 

Well worth doing if you get the chance.

When you watch the class you are given photos and names of the dancers ( you can't keep them though) but it's very helpful and anyway today I soon noticed this lovely very young dancer with a natural open expression ...very engaging........that was Shale...he's not just a good technician. 

I have looked at a couple of videos now since I got home but think he looks even better live!! I would think he would connect very well with an audience in actual performance but I've never seen him perform live yet.

Have to say that another young dancer who has just joined ENB from the Royal Ballet School Rebecca Blenkinsopp 

Was looking amazing today as well! I'm sure it won't be long before she gets a step up too!

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 1

These two are of course very young and new to the Company but all the dancers look good in class!! You think "now why is it I'm still doing ballet" They are all really good and inspiring to watch. I love it when the men seem to semi compete with each other ....who can do the most turns ...jump the highest etc I think they feed of each other. 

I hope to see him soon when the casting is not on such a short notice and I can grab a plane for a reasonable price. As far as  I know, only the principal cast is announced long before the actual performance (but still always subject to change). So nice that you are dancing, I used to do it when I was in my teens but didn't go further.😐 Ballet love still sticks with me of course.

Just got back from London and seen this clip Mary...thanks for posting. He's not bad at contemporary either! And apparently he is interested in choreography ...so will be interesting to see how he develops ....I think he is still only 18!

In class he just seems so engagingly enthusuiastic.🙂🙃🙂      Just before the Prix de Lausanne he had a major back injury as well.

Anyway enough of this Shale Wagman fan club 😉!!   There are some really good dancers both male and female coming up at ENB now.