Jump to content

Northern ballet School Manchester


joyofdance
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi. My daughter was at a workshop recently and a dancer/choreographer  who works regularly with The Northern ballet pulled her aside and encouraged her to audition for their summer school. She loves ballet and has a good technique but because she is more of a sporty/ jazz dance shape she has avoided applying for specialist ballet summer schemes as she feels that they are very selective when it comes to body shape etc. I just wondered if anyone has any experience of The Northern Ballet school in relation to this as I assume there is a cost involved in auditioning and it's several hours from where we live so I don't really want to go to a lot of expense etc for something that is very possibly a non starter. I know there supposed to be more of a move toward moving away from the classic and favoured ballet shape but from what I have seen albeit limited,  ballet schools still do tend to favour a particular look and dare I say it (awaits backlash) this sometimes seems to be prioritised over talent and ability. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, joyofdance said:

Hi. My daughter was at a workshop recently and a dancer/choreographer  who works regularly with The Northern ballet pulled her aside and encouraged her to audition for their summer school. She loves ballet and has a good technique but because she is more of a sporty/ jazz dance shape she has avoided applying for specialist ballet summer schemes as she feels that they are very selective when it comes to body shape etc. I just wondered if anyone has any experience of The Northern Ballet school in relation to this as I assume there is a cost involved in auditioning and it's several hours from where we live so I don't really want to go to a lot of expense etc for something that is very possibly a non starter. I know there supposed to be more of a move toward moving away from the classic and favoured ballet shape but from what I have seen albeit limited,  ballet schools still do tend to favour a particular look and dare I say it (awaits backlash) this sometimes seems to be prioritised over talent and ability. 

My DD is currently in her 1st yr at NBS if you have any detailed questions I’m happy to help. Just send me a pm. 🙆‍♀️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, taxi4ballet said:

Yes, you need to find out as the schools are entirely separate and have nothing to do with one another. Northern Ballet runs an associate programme and CAT scheme in Leeds, and Northern Ballet School in Manchester is a vocational upper school.

Oh I see, I am sure she said Manchester but sounds more likely to be the Leeds one. Thanks, I will check with her.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Its very confusing.

 

There is Northern ballet Academy (linked to Northern Ballet who run part time CAT scheme and summer school classes.

 

Then there is Northern School of Contemporary Dance who are a vocational school also based in Leeds with a focus on Contemporary dance

 

Then there is Northern Ballet School in Manchester a full time college who run dance diplomas in Ballet or Jazz Theatre

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Northern School of Contemporary Dance also have a CAT scheme, which is linked to the Northern Ballet CAT scheme. This in itself causes some confusion because they are not in the same building (several miles apart), but Northern Ballet do share a building with Phoenix, who also have a contemporary dance academy but which is not linked to Northern Ballet :blink:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 29/11/2018 at 15:09, Picturesinthefirelight said:

Its very confusing.

 

There is Northern ballet Academy (linked to Northern Ballet who run part time CAT scheme and summer school classes.

 

Then there is Northern School of Contemporary Dance who are a vocational school also based in Leeds with a focus on Contemporary dance

 

Then there is Northern Ballet School in Manchester a full time college who run dance diplomas in Ballet or Jazz Theatre

Technically  the  'Academy of the Northern Ballet'   is called  that https://northernballet.com/academy

and  the AoNB 'brand' covers CAT,  NB Associates, NB Spotted ! and the Graduate Program  as well as the  community  classes, the one thing  AoNB doesn't have  is a 'upper school'  perhaps as it is felt that the market is such that this is not  something  where there is a gap in provision ,  in addition to any  sagas over  NBS   - Manchester  and it;s  name ...   

Northern the company also has  a long standing relationship  (  but not AFAIK  formally)  with Central ,   due otthe Legacy of Chris Gable;s involvement with both  NB and CSB , and  CSB graduates do seem to do well with  Northern   -   and i don't think that  will change with Kenny Tindall in his current role at Northern as  Kenny is a CSB  grad  and  committed to the narrative  ballet  tradition of  Northern / Gable ...  (shock Horror  Nicola  is fangirling over Kenny again -  he  really is a lovely  person  and has a rela passion for dance at all levels ) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Jan McNulty changed the title to Northern ballet School Manchester
  • 4 weeks later...
On 29/11/2018 at 23:15, joyofdance said:

It was Manchester apparently. It is all very confusing.  

 

Hi joyofdance,

I attended the NBS summer school  in 2018 and I auditioned at the school in November (I have accepted a place to study there). If you have any questions please ask me.

 

The summer school was a wonderful experience, I really think that the school is under appreciated. We did daily ballet class, alongwith musical theatre, jazz, tap, contemporary and repertoire. The week culminated in a performance in the dancehouse theatre.

 

If you need any other information please ask!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any experience of funding with Northern Ballet. For example, I'm aware of the DADA to offer full funding for tuition fees, but is there any other type of funding anyone knows about to help with accommodation expenses? and how much is accommodation? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi we don’t have direct experience of the school but we went to this year’s open day. 

We were given this information:

Dada funding is available but dependant on income. 

Housing is approximately £165 a week in student halls (very close to northern ballet) 

We were not told of any other funding available. 

Hope that helps 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Balletaddict said:

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any experience of funding with Northern Ballet. For example, I'm aware of the DADA to offer full funding for tuition fees, but is there any other type of funding anyone knows about to help with accommodation expenses? and how much is accommodation? 

 

Hey, I auditioned and gained a place at NBS (which I have since turned down). I was awarded a Dada but it's important to understand that they are hard to get and only a few people get awarded them  (they are a scholarship from the government). The amount of money you receive is dependant on your household income.

There is no other funding for tuition fees or maintenance at NBS because the qualification you get is a diploma, NOT a degree.

Housing costs typically around £8,000 a year if you live in the Unite Students accommodation (which first year students do).

If you have any other queries please ask away, I've become fairly expert in the last year!  😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Clara2019 said:

 

Hey, I auditioned and gained a place at NBS (which I have since turned down). I was awarded a Dada but it's important to understand that they are hard to get and only a few people get awarded them  (they are a scholarship from the government). The amount of money you receive is dependant on your household income.

There is no other funding for tuition fees or maintenance at NBS because the qualification you get is a diploma, NOT a degree.

Housing costs typically around £8,000 a year if you live in the Unite Students accommodation (which first year students do).

If you have any other queries please ask away, I've become fairly expert in the last year!  😂

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My DD attended NBS with a Dada for tuition. You can also receive help dependant on income ( sliding scale)  for accommodation. It worked out approximately 50% reduction on her accommodation fee's at unite ( New Medlock / Parkgate) x

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...