Dance and mental health - BBC2

alison

Interesting to watch but probably like so many of us involved in Dance I didn’t actually learn anything that I didn’t know already. The benefits of dance is well known from all those involved. From the teenie tots to well past retirement age and crosses all languages and cultures. 

Just wish those in power would realise that sport is not the only form of exercise for fitness and wellbeing of our society. 

However at the other end of the scale,  which could be another programme altogether, the world of Professional dance can increase mental health issues.  Strange but true. 

Trying to to find the happy medium is a constant struggle. 

3 hours ago, balletbean said:

However at the other end of the scale,  which could be another programme altogether, the world of Professional dance can increase mental health issues.  Strange but true. 

Haven't watched the programme yet, but have read an article about it.

I suspected it would be all about the benefits of dance and wouldn't go anywhere near the opposite end. Seems like that was the case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, taxi4ballet said:

Haven't watched the programme yet, but have read an article about it.

I suspected it would be all about the benefits of dance and wouldn't go anywhere near the opposite end. Seems like that was the case.

Spot on. 

Covered a group of teenagers from Didsbury area of Manchester struggling with Mental Health issues whilst also some were suffering from some underlying medical conditions. 

They then also followed a group of Silver Swans. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 02/12/2018 at 18:01, Harwel said:

Very much the perspective of the casual dancer, not the professional ballet student.  Of course they will never air that in public, let’s just keep it all fluffy and PC.  

Haha that did make me chuckle 😄 it’s not even pc and fluffy for professionals but anyone trying to be serious! 

i watched it and thought it was a lovely reminder  of why my DD likes to just focus on the dance and creating and leave everything else at the studio door where she can. All the pressure of FE, teachers & peer pressure etc