BRB SWAN LAKE - AUTUMN 2012

I've just come across this blog from a ballet first-timer on twitter:

http://thecoastroad.tumblr.com/post/34295516008/swan-lake-birmingham-royal-ballet-sunderland-empire

He's obviously done some background research - I wouldn't have know what a fouette was if it had flown up and hit me in the face! BTW, his description of Rothbart's reception at the curtain calls implies that it is because it was Sunderland. Not so, Rothbart also got that reaction in Birmingham and at The Lowry - I would call it good-natured booing and the Rothbarts seemed at the very least not to mind, if not enjoy

• Like 1

I've just read the first-timer's blog from the link posted by Janet above.

How eloquent it was and I found it quite moving. I have been watching ballet for many years and always feel so much better for having "fed my soul" as well as having an excellent evening's entertainment. Through this blog it was almost like I was watching it myself for the first time.

I am so thrilled that someone completely new to the genre can experience the same beautiful and uplifting experience. How many more people would feel the same if they could just get over the ideas that ballet is elitist and "not for me".

• Like 2