Christmas + New Year dance on television (and radio) 2018

On ‎08‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 13:44, Darlex said:

For Darcey Bussell fans, Graham Norton mentioned that she will be on his show next week (Friday). 

Should be fun;  I have seen him at the ROH and ENB ballet performances a few times over the years!

34 minutes ago, Two Pigeons said:

I have just ploughed through 4 weeks of Radio Times but have been unsuccessful in finding An American in Paris.

I may well be suffering from information overload so if anyone else spots it please let me know when it is due to appear.

Christmas Day BBC 2 3.10 pm

Repeated New Year's Day  BBC 2 8.00 am

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

(The Radio Times has a mention that "Giselle: Belle of the Ballet" (Rojo + ENB) is currently on iPlayer until Christmas Day).

Darcey's Ballet Heroes is shown on BBC4 on Boxing Day, 9 pm - and repeated, with sign language interpretation, at 2.20 am.

Rather sad that TV magazines and the press are tending to headline the presenters for the RB's Swan Lake, rather than the stars. I was daring to hope that we would get the ballet without all the Bussell/Oruba add-ons which have to be endured in the cinema.

• Like 5

Swan Lake is only scheduled for 2 hours 15 minutes so I don’t think it can include much by way of the cinema extras.  I’ll be keen to see if it’s the live relay unedited or if it draws on more than one performance as it would be good if a couple of slips were tidied.  And I have to say I’m seeing Darcey Bussell as presenter in rather a different light having been very taken with her ‘Dancing to Happiness’ documentary - not sure how long it’s still available on iPlayer but well worth finding the time to watch.

• Like 2

Just been through the entire 2 weeks' worth of Sky Arts coverage, and decided it's entirely pathetic.  The BBC has put on far more dance (albeit some of it repeated) this Christmas than Sky Arts, which frankly ought to be renaming itself Sky Performance. (Has there been *any* opera on the BBC, though?)

A couple more notes - Darcey Bussell: Dancing to Happiness is on iPlayer until New Year's Eve, and An American In Paris is repeated on New Year's Day at 8 pm on BBC2.  No repeat of Swan Lake that I can see, though, unfortunately :( 

• alison changed the title to Christmas + New Year dance on television (and radio) 2018
21 hours ago, alison said:

Tomorrow (or technically later today), Radio 3, 5 pm: The Listening Service: Nutcracker - Strange Enchantments.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0001ss8

I thought this programme presented by Tom Service was fabulous intelligent, informative, entertaining rich insight into the music, themes, symbolism and history of the Nutcracker - really high quality. BBC at it's best in my opinion. Loads of stuff I'd didn't know about.  

I loved the description of the music of the Sugar Plum Fairy; 'ethereal minor key tintinnabulation of the bells of the celeste and the earthy lurking of the bass clarinet'.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Really thrilled to find the Radio Times letter I submitted about the Swan Lake Christmas broadcast is in this weeks Radio Times. it is only the second time I've written (well emailed) both about ballet and both were printed. This one didn't get the Letter of the Week like the first one did but I'm still pleased. of course, looking at it I realised I could have added so much more and said it a lot better but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Here is the text.

'What a treat it was to see the Royal Ballet's  Swan Lake on BBC 4 on Christmas Day. It is  We lost ourselves in the beauty of the music and  dancing. A full length ballet is so rare on tv these days that as a ballet enthusiast I often feel an endangered species but no longer! With Royal Opera House cinema relays showing about 12 ballet and opera performances every year there are plenty that can be broadcast on tv. Please don't let us wait too long for the next production; they are all truly magical and television makes them accessible to everyone.'

They missed out 1 or 2 details I mentioned like Swan Lake being a new production and I said amazing music and fabulous dancing but still a good plug both for the ROH and the cinema broadcasts. Perhaps we might gain some converts of those who don't know about the cinema broadcasts.

Just realised this is my 500th post so another milestone past!

Edited by jmhopton
adding info
  • Like 16