Christmas + New Year dance on television (and radio) 2018

An American In Paris is apparently also being shown on BBC2 over Christmas. Can't find any details as to date or production, but hopefully the new one Christopher Wheeldon choreographed as it was also filmed and shown at cinemas earlier this year.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

An American In Paris is apparently also being shown on BBC2 over Christmas. Can't find any details as to date or production, but hopefully the new one Christopher Wheeldon choreographed as it was also filmed and shown at cinemas earlier this year.

...and shown on PBS  in the United States earlier this month.

A notice for Christmas treats just announced and it says 'Swan Lake' from the Royal Opera House on BBC Four. Doesn't say which day, but we usually get the Ballet on Christmas day. So hope its the complete production and not just 'the making of' documentary, like we had with The Nutcracker.

• Like 1

It does say "The Royal Ballet performs Tchaikovsky’s magnificent classical ballet in a brand-new production by young choreographer Liam Scarlett, with sumptuous and evocative designs by John Macfarlane." and "Starring the Argentinian ballerina Marianela Nuñez in the hugely challenging dual-role of Odette/Odile, with Vadim Muntagirov as Prince Siegfried".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/mediapacks/xmas18tv/bbctwo

Edit: since this has gone over a page break I am adding that is for a TV showing not a DVD. Don't get too excited about the DVD release yet :).

Edited by Timmie
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Riva said:

BBC4 will be showing Swan Lake ‘from the Royal Opera House’ during their festive scheduling although can’t see a specific date yet, or which production. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46346051

I posted this link on the DVD thread. Looks like the new production :). Scroll down a bit to find it.

• Like 4

• alison changed the title to Christmas + New Year dance on television
  • alison changed the title to Christmas + New Year dance on television 2018
16 hours ago, Timmie said:

I posted this link on the DVD thread. Looks like the new production :). Scroll down a bit to find it.

All the other stuff makes you wonder how the BBC would cope without endless cookery programmes and their presenters.

Not that much dance, but what there is is choice.

• Like 4

On 27/11/2018 at 14:16, jmhopton said:

The link posted by Timmie  confirms that it is the musical!

• Like 1

Sunday 16 December SkyArts are showing the 2016 RB Nutcracker at 4pm. Can't find a repeat during that week and recent experience has shown me that if you try and get it on Catch Up Sky want you to pay extra though that may not apply if you have Virgin or other ways of getting SkyArts. I suppose it may be repeated over the Christmas period but my Radio Times only goes us to 21st December. I think the Christmas double issue is due out next week.

I think the casting was Cuthbertson/Kish/Hayward/Campbell with Naghdi as the Waltz of the Flowers lead. Perhaps someone else could confirm if this is definite.

3 hours ago, jmhopton said:

I think the casting was Cuthbertson/Kish/Hayward/Campbell with Naghdi as the Waltz of the Flowers lead. Perhaps someone else could confirm if this is definite.

It was Cuthbertson/Bonelli, Hayward/Campbell, with Choe as the Rose Fairy. I would recommend the DVD or preferably the Blu-Ray - it's a lovely production that deserves multiple viewings!

• Like 2

Techno geeks may correct me, but I am thinking that for many of us  it means any live TV viewing or  recording of the TV transmission, on Christmas Day,  won't be in HD due to the local transmitter not providing Freeview  channel 106 (only channel 9); although presumably the  programme will be in HD on the iPlayer for up to 30 days afterwards.  After that, we will have to wait for the Blu-Ray to come out for HD viewing. 

5 hours ago, Mary said:

???

Bring back the days when we just -er-watched some  telly...😄

No thanks! 

So much better these days to be able to view in high quality, and to record, or watch later online, programmes we can't see when broadcast.

I really don't think nostalgia is what it used to be....😄

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Techno geeks may correct me, but I am thinking that for many of us  it means any live TV viewing or  recording of the TV transmission, on Christmas Day,  won't be in HD due to the local transmitter not providing Freeview  channel 106 (only channel 9); although presumably the  programme will be in HD on the iPlayer for up to 30 days afterwards.  After that, we will have to wait for the Blu-Ray to come out for HD viewing. 

Yes, it will be on iPlayer.