Jump to content

Sewing elastic to pointe shoes


Recommended Posts

DD’s pointe shoes are slipping off her heels despite me moving the ribbons several times, so her teacher has advised  she has elastic sewn on to them.

I’ve seen two methods: one piece in a loop around the foot or two pieces going from back to front that cross over - which is best?

Any advice appreciated ...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends largely upon what type of feet she has, in my experience.  If she has “banana feet”/very high arches I would go with a criss cross of two pieces of elastic.  

 

If she has straighter feet and the shoes are just slipping down at the heel then go with a loop as the criss cross method might pull her back off pointe slightly.  

 

In either case I’d use the “mesh” elastic and sew it to the outside of the shoe as it can rub if sewn on the inside. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

My best tip is to encourage your DD to take on sewing ribbons & elastics to her future pointe shoes as soon as you can 😉

This way she takes ownership, feels like a pro (lots of utube videos of pro dancers showing how they sew/prep shoes) & it’s then not your fault if they don’t feel right! They soon get the hang of it & actually like knowing that they do it ‘their way’. 

I actually felt super proud once DD no longer asked me to sew ribbons/elastics/darn toes (& dare I say also a little sad as no longer needed?? That feeling didn’t last long rest assured!!) 

We were probably 1 year & 3 pairs of shoes in before this stage so good luck until then if you are new in this pointe shoe journey! 

Edited by Peanut68
Typo
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

My best tip is to encourage your DD to take on sewing ribbons & elastics to her future pointe shoes as soon as you can 😉

This way she takes ownership, feels like a pro (lots of utube videos of pro dancers showing how they sew/prep shoes) & it’s then not your fault if they don’t feel right! They soon get the hang of it & actually like knowing that they do it ‘their way’. 

I actually felt super proud once DD no longer asked me to sew ribbons/elastics/darn toes (& dare I say also a little sad as no longer needed?? That feeling didn’t last long rest assured!!) 

We were probably 1 year & 3 pairs of shoes in before this stage so good luck until then if you are new in this pointe shoe journey! 

They’re her first pair of pointe shoes as she’s only 11, she actually sewed the first set of ribbons on as she got them fitted at school - bless her they were a bit wonky! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, margarite said:

They’re her first pair of pointe shoes as she’s only 11, she actually sewed the first set of ribbons on as she got them fitted at school - bless her they were a bit wonky! 

Ah that’s so impressive - good for her! Is she away at vocational school? If so, others (older dancers) will probably help with elastic/shoe/sewing  advice & help. I agree with the fitting advice... my DD has only had limited brands to choose from & similarly has narrow feet..... 4 years in I still have to plan the long promised CG trip to go around & try all the brands there!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Anna C said:

Sometimes the heels slip until the shoes are broken in properly (although dd’s first couple of pairs were outgrown before they were broken in!).

I was just about to say exactly this! Especially with a first pair. She is likely to underestimate how much breaking in they need. I also second getting her to do the ribbon sewing, even if it needs a bit of a retouch... my 11 year old DD is so proud of having done her own, without much in the way of sewing experience before that!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SissonneDoublee said:

I was just about to say exactly this! Especially with a first pair. She is likely to underestimate how much breaking in they need. I also second getting her to do the ribbon sewing, even if it needs a bit of a retouch... my 11 year old DD is so proud of having done her own, without much in the way of sewing experience before that!

She did do the first ribbons on her pair - as I said they were a little wonky - it was like Frankenstein’s ballet shoes 😆

Good tip about the breaking in though, fingers crossed that’s all this pair needs too ...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, margarite said:

She did do the first ribbons on her pair - as I said they were a little wonky - it was like Frankenstein’s ballet shoes 😆

Good tip about the breaking in though, fingers crossed that’s all this pair needs too ...

Frankenshoes! The perfect description of every Year 7 vocational DD’s pointe shoes 😂 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/11/2018 at 09:57, margarite said:

Great - I’ve ordered some mesh elastic. Thanks Anna for the advice re shape of foot - just what I needed!

Challenging to sew so I tend to use darning thread to secure the elastic. Just keep an eye on the elastic. It can wear out over a term. Just replace. So make sure you have spare for running repairs. 

Ps. Just picking up from other posts. First pointe shoes may not last as long as the next few pairs. The feet/toes change shape quite quickly as they get used to the pointe shoe and therefore the box may feel too big and the feet sink in further. Hence the slip on the heel. Definitely worth having another feeting over the holidays. 

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...