Just been looking into booking seats for Don Q. The idea of having a photo of the seat and from the seat is a good one, but why doesn't the view from the seat at least have the curtains open?! Daft!

And while I'm here - where do I look for seat recommendations? I presume it's not quite as simple as "you get what you pay for" and there may be one or two (relative!) bargains to be had

5 minutes ago, thewinelake said:

Just been looking into booking seats for Don Q. The idea of having a photo of the seat and from the seat is a good one, but why doesn't the view from the seat at least have the curtains open?! Daft!

Absolutely - and I have been disappointed in the past to find that the view of the stage with the curtains open is nothing like as good as I expected from the "closed curtain" picture!

Relative bargains are subjective, but if you like Stalls Circle, C36 and C77, classed as restricted view because of a pillar, are brilliant - no craning required - and far cheaper than the seats either side.  Others will have more to say about balcony and amphi, I'm sure.

• Like 1

I've added the tag "seating" to this thread.  Click on it, and you'll bring up all the other threads which have the same tag :) 

I totally agree - for side seats the view can be very deceptive.  What's needed is a load of dotted lines superimposed on the photo to show where the stage is behind the curtains, but I suppose that would be highly complicated to do.

I'm not sure I want to "go public" with any bargain seats.  The way the ROH has behaved recently, I'm afraid that if I do those seats will suddenly go up in price by about 50% :(  And anyway, with the new pricing scheme, what may be a bargain for one bill may not be for another bill!

• Like 2

I sat at the back of the Balcony last Saturday and could only see the floor of the stage by perching on the very edge of my seat (virtually standing). People alongside me left at the first interval (presumably to try to negotiate seats elsewhere). It would have been much better (and cheaper) to stand nearby.

7 minutes ago, alison said:

... assuming you could have got your hands on one of the very few decent standing places there :) 

Hahaha! So many people, including members of this forum, are very 'wised-up' on standing places and the chances of a late standing bargain (unless offered here) are zero. I was a beggar who couldn't be a chooser because I wanted a second look at the Cuthbertson/Ball/Magri line-up!