Buying ballet shoes for boys.

Motomum

My son 10 has a few pairs of ballet shoes and they all scrunch up under the ball of his feet as he tendus, or indeed makes any point. It looks ugly and he hates it now that he is more aware of the aesthetics of ballet. 😁

i have always bought online before or from his dance teacher, but now that he is in a few Associate schemes and taking things a little more seriously how do I go about finding a good fitting shoe.

i am in Covent Garden with him in December and if I recall correctly there is a dance shop there. Would they help me find a good fit and shoe type that is right for his foot?

Hi. Dancia Int’l. Nearly opposite Bloch in Covent Garden. The store carry range of brands. Unlike Freeds, Capezio and Bloch. The one stop shop saves on your shoe leather rather than traipsing around each of the other stores. That way you can sit comfortably whilst you son is looked after by knowledgable and helpful staff and compare different shoes all at the same time. 🙆🏻‍♂️😊

Ps. Bloch soft ballet shoes are cheaper online than in their own store. Dancia is somewhere in the middle for prices

Edited by balletbean

Dancia International have a wide range. You could also visit Bloch and Capezio. Don’t be afraid to ask each shop to put aside any ballet flats he feels comfortable in, they are always happy to put shoes to one size. Allow plenty of time and don’t feel pressurised. 

Over the years we have spent hours in all of the above stalls, trying on a wide variety of styles and different sizes. 

• Like 1

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Buying ballet shoes for boys.

Capezio Hanami’s from the Capezio shop. 100% recommended by my professional (at last ! Yay) dancer DS. Other dancers often ask him where he got them. And pre-sewn elastics (double Yay). Dancia are a great shop too if the Capezios aren’t liked for any reason. 

• Like 3

For soft shoes I absolutely second the advice to go to Dancia in Drury Lane.  I would also go to Bloch across the road, just because Bloch make a huge range of ballet shoes and will have most if not all their styles to try on.  The shoe department is downstairs so don’t be alarmed when you enter the store and see only clothing. :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hambleton said:

Capezio Hanami’s from the Capezio shop. 100% recommended by my professional (at last ! Yay) dancer DS. Other dancers often ask him where he got them. And pre-sewn elastics (double Yay). Dancia are a great shop too if the Capezios aren’t liked for any reason. 

My son loves Capezio Hanami too! We've tried various makes but these are his favourite that we now stick to. A few boys from his ja class also have them. X

Hi

You could try Bloch Synchrony or So Danca SD16, they have the elastic binding rather than ties so fit well and no ties to cut in which my DS found irritated his achilles. Also pre-sewn elastics. Bit more expensive but worth it if child taking ballet seriously. Hope your DS finds a brand he finds comfortable. 

Dancia sell the So Danca SD16. Another excellent shoe but does not come in older  teen sizes, so DS swapped to Capezio Hanami. The material in the So Dancas wears better, so the shoes may last longer. So Dancas not available in flesh colour, which DS prefers, so choice is black or white for boys. 

11 hours ago, Hambleton said:

Dancia sell the So Danca SD16. Another excellent shoe but does not come in older  teen sizes, so DS swapped to Capezio Hanami. The material in the So Dancas wears better, so the shoes may last longer. So Dancas not available in flesh colour, which DS prefers, so choice is black or white for boys. 

DS wears so danca SD16 and he’s size 10 so they go fairly large!

a little vote for grishko performance canvas split soles. DS particularly likes the elastic in the arch which keeps it snug for those with high arches... and although a bit pricier they are incredibly hard wearing compared to the cheaper shoes (so for example he would go through a capezio canvas shoe in a month, but the grishkos lasted him a term or more). until he got tor stage of getting his shoes supplied the company he never wore anything else..

just dance stock grishkos...

• Like 1