British Ballet Grand Prix 2019

leotardmum

• Jan McNulty changed the title to British Ballet Grand Prix 2019

Interestingly, though #AllEngland is one of the hashtags on one of the event's FB posts, the dates do clash with some of the Regional Finals for AE, although perhaps there will be an element of collaboration to prevent any true overlap?

Very interesting also to see the names of the schools and companies published as supporting the event.

• Like 2

The dates   (30th May to 1st June) are also quite close to the BBC Young Dancer 2019 final  (18th May) - though the BBC Young Dancer category finals are apparently in March. See https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07gbzxt).

Indeed, interesting list of schools and companies - though notably not RBS.

From the name of this new competition, I thought  it might be something like the Young British Dancer of the Year... but it appears that this is a completely international competition taking place in the UK.  It does sound like an exciting venture - but this (and the recent discussion of ballet competitions) really makes me miss the YBDY, a real national treasure. Yes, there was always a bit of a  disagreement  e.g.about the 'British' criteria for entry, but It was always such a wonderful opportunity to see the best of British ballet  training in a way which I understand was well integrated into students' curriculum, instead of detracting from it. and with no over-the-top glitz... The Spring performance of students from all the leading vocational schools which took place the year after YBDY ended was also amazing. Is there any other upcoming opportunity to see the best of British ballet schools?

Yaffa

Edited by Yaffa
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We have been discussing this at our dance school, the students are very interested and it looks like there are lots of high level schools involved, notably the Bolshoi Academy.

I have seen on their Instagram today that they have a 'BLACK (swan) FRIDAY' 25% off offer on applications, thought it would be worth adding to the thread.

Offer ends midnight on Monday!!!

www.britishballetgrandprix.com 

• Like 2