Margaret Brockway Award

swe

Has anybody got any experience of this award (I believe it is run by the RAD)? My dd's teacher has mentioned it briefly and I have 'googled' it but wondered if anyone knew the format of the day?

Thanks all

swe

Yes my DD made the finals 2 years ago - didn't enter last year but is going again this year. Initial part consisted of a ballet class - can't quite remember but I don't think parents watched. Finals was another class, with Errol Pickford as the teacher. I do remember watching that part!

• 2 months later...

My dd along with a couple of friends from our ballet school have been invited by our ballet teacher to attend this tomorrow. Really not sure what to expect other than an early morning to head to Birmingham and a long day for the mums - but dd's are really looking forward to another day of dancing! We are allowed to watch the class so that will be lovely as we dont get much opportunity to see them in a class enviroment - only on stage at festivals.

Well the whole thing has been rather unorganised and there is nothing published on the RAD website. Our Cheque and application form was sent off long before the closing date and then got lost in the post! Our ballet teacher only confirmed yesterday the dd had a place so too late to book overnite accomodation in Birmingham and a very early start. The Dd's will love it though especially as the National Youth Ballet JA final casting is tomorrow and although they have successfully auditioned for the last three years they did not even get recalls this year (very disappointed although understand that they have grown upwards a lot and are definately not "little and cute") - so hopefully this will distract them from that and they can enjoy the day! Maybe not too late to text the organiser private email me if you want the number?

• Like 1

The finals for this take the form of a master class for each of the levels and I believe there is one overall winner who gets the actual 'Margaret Brockway Award' but I am not sure of the value. This is an event that takes place annually for the Midlands region and usually candidates are put forward by their ballet teacher individually as numbers are limited. They are divided into Juniors and Seniors but the categories are determined by grade and age. If you are on facebook the RAD Midlands page has details and photos of the event. I think most of the regions have a similar award - certainly there is one for London and the South East and for the Northern region as I have seen the results shared on the RAD facebook pages. Well done to your DD lildancer. 2 of DDs junior friends also made finals.

• Like 1

The award is actually a cup/trophy and last time an additional prize of two tickets for the Genee final.

This appeared on the RAD Midlands and East Facebook page this morning:

The Junior Finalists are:

Maisie Butler, Teacher: Siobhan Collins-McCarthy

Athen Dallard, Teachers: Jacqueline Williams School of Dance

Amy Daniels, Teacher: Helen Taylor

Phoebe Howard, Teacher: Siobhan Collins-McCarthy

Jessica Mobbs, Teachers: Jacqueline Williams School of Dance

Sophie Morris, Teacher: Dawn King

Gabriella Bantick, Teacher: Tina Pilgrim

Chloe Isherwood, Teachers: Aileen Graham & Judith Harris

Alexandra Oliff, Teachers: Aileen Graham & Judith Harris

Daisy Quainton, Teachers: Aileen Graham & Judith Harris

Laura Skinner, Teacher: Aileen Graham

Mia Vickers, Teacher: Nicola Bowden

The Senior Finalists are:

Rachel Carrier, Teacher: Lisa Hollinshead

Adam Davies, Teacher: Cherienne Bailey

Lori Hopkinson, Teacher: Jenny Brennan

Abigail Mahoney, Teacher: Dawn King

Laura Santolamazza, Teacher: Lisa Hollinshead

Lesya Tyminska, Teacher: Dawn King

The finals will be held on Sunday 10th June 2012 at the Birmingham Royal Ballet studios.