Royal Ballet Japan tour June 2019

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said,Capybara.  And I say that not just as a fan of Ed Watson but as a realist.  Ryochi is a great dancer.  He has a physicality that appeals and a strong technique, but he is many moons away from being a dramatic artist.  To compare him and EW does them both a disservice.

i enjoy seeing Ryochi but his Mayerling was, for me, borderline unacceptable and it will be a long time before I book to see him in a dramatic lead role.  I am a huge fan of KOH but if he really believes Hirano is the new Watson, then He knows even less about ballet than I do.  He’ll be telling us Golding was the new Muntagirov next.

4 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

Well said,Capybara.  And I say that not just as a fan of Ed Watson but as a realist.  Ryochi is a great dancer.  He has a physicality that appeals and a strong technique, but he is many moons away from being a dramatic artist.  To compare him and EW does them both a disservice.

i enjoy seeing Ryochi but his Mayerling was, for me, borderline unacceptable and it will be a long time before I book to see him in a dramatic lead role.  I am a huge fan of KOH but if he really believes Hirano is the new Watson, then He knows even less about ballet than I do.  He’ll be telling us Golding was the new Muntagirov next.

I think Hirano is a great dancer AND a dramatic artist (though still developing as the latter); but he's not remotely like Edward Watson. In fact they couldn't be more unalike.

Your last two sentences did make me laugh, penelopesimpson!

Casting of Japan Tour, Gala Program

https://www.nbs.or.jp/publish/news/2019/06/post-803.html

Winter Dreams (in Full)

6/29 Lamb, Muntagirov, Naghdi, Mendizabal 

6/30 Morera, Hirano, Naghdi, Calvert

A tribute to Margot Fonteyn (both dates)

Sleeping Beauty Rose Adagio

Nunez

Avis, Kish, Whitehead, Edmonds

Manon Bedroom Pas de duex

6/29 Morera, Hirano

6/30 Cuthbertson, Muntagirov

Ondine (both dates)

Hayward, Watson

Romeo and Juliet act 1 pas de deux (both dates)

Osipova, Corrales

Symphony in C

6/29 Kaneko, Nunez, Choe, Naghdi,  Ball, Hirano, Campbell, Zuchetti

6/30 Kaneko, Lamb, Magri, Heyward, Ball, Clarke, Sambe, Acri

Sorry if there are any spelling mistakes. 

• Like 2

On 13/06/2019 at 04:04, Naomi M said:

Casting of Japan Tour, Gala Program

https://www.nbs.or.jp/publish/news/2019/06/post-803.html

Winter Dreams (in Full)

6/29 Lamb, Muntagirov, Naghdi, Mendizabal 

6/30 Morera, Hirano, Naghdi, Calvert

A tribute to Margot Fonteyn (both dates)

Sleeping Beauty Rose Adagio

Nunez

Avis, Kish, Whitehead, Edmonds

Manon Bedroom Pas de duex

6/29 Morera, Hirano

6/30 Cuthbertson, Muntagirov

Ondine (both dates)

Hayward, Watson

Romeo and Juliet act 1 pas de deux (both dates)

Osipova, Corrales

Symphony in C

6/29 Kaneko, Nunez, Choe, Naghdi,  Ball, Hirano, Campbell, Zuchetti

6/30 Kaneko, Lamb, Magri, Heyward, Ball, Clarke, Sambe, Acri

Sorry if there are any spelling mistakes. 

Thanks Naomi! The tickets I managed to get are for Sunday 6/30 performance.

I would love to see Osipova and Corrales in Balcony PDD (not to mention the full R&J).  

Ondine is not one of my favorite ballets, but Hayward dancing the title-role would justify a revival.  

• Like 1

In what way is the ‘Manon’ PDD a tribute to Fonteyn?  Why not something from ‘Cinderella’ or ‘Giselle’ which were some of the roles that Fonteyn was renowned for?  But ‘Manon’ ??? A PDD that she never danced...it really gives the wrong impression of Fonteyn’s career.

2 minutes ago, Springbourne3 said:

In what way is the ‘Manon’ PDD a tribute to Fonteyn?  Why not something from ‘Cinderella’ or ‘Giselle’ which were some of the roles that Fonteyn was renowned for?  But ‘Manon’ ??? A PDD that she never danced...it really gives the wrong impression of Fonteyn’s career.

Yes, I thought that was odd.

• Like 2

Wonderful! I watched without sound because I'm in a cafe, but her dancing was so musical that I didn't need the sound. So lyrical and harmonious, and incredibly moving. Thanks very much for posting it, Springbourne3.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Springbourne3 said:

It's all down to available rehearsal time. The company was exceptionally busy over the last few weeks, performing a Triple Bill, Romeo&Juliet, Fonteyn Gala at ROH and preparing for everything they are due to perform in Japan. There's a limit to what they can do or squeeze into their rehearsal and performance schedule, and....they also need to be able to rest! 

1 hour ago, Xandra Newman said:

It's all down to available rehearsal time. The company was exceptionally busy over the last few weeks, performing a Triple Bill, Romeo&Juliet, Fonteyn Gala at ROH and preparing for everything they are due to perform in Japan. There's a limit to what they can do or squeeze into their rehearsal and performance schedule, and....they also need to be able to rest! 

But could they not have done e.g. a pdd from Birthday Offering or Swan Lake? At least something that Fonteyn actually danced!

• Like 5

How do the company justify this competely irrelevant inclusion, I wonder? Maybe they know something we don't know - Fonteyn always longed to do Manon, perhaps? 'We're awfully busy' would sound a bit feeble.

• Like 2

The pieces supposed to be performed have changed a lot, at first it was supposed to include works by McGregor and Scarlett.  This program has only just been announced with the casting on June 13th. 

(by the way, Birthday Offering will be danced at Miyako Yoshida's farewell gala in August, and Yoshida will dance the Fonteyn part with Bonelli. But the tickets got sold out in a blink of an eye) 

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Naomi M said:

The pieces supposed to be performed have changed a lot, at first it was supposed to include works by McGregor and Scarlett.  This program has only just been announced with the casting on June 13th. 

Fonteyn and McGregor?! 🤔

4 hours ago, Springbourne3 said:

I mean how glorious is this? Personally I see Hayward or Stix-Brunell in this - sorry to deviate but I couldn’t resist...o

Oh yes it's glorious - as was she. Thank you for posting this, it made me smile.....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Springbourne3 said:

I mean how glorious is this? Personally I see Hayward or Stix-Brunell in this - sorry to deviate but I couldn’t resist...

I wish! But if there is a live relay/dvd for the next staging, I guarantee they won't have it. Nunez will probably be given it considering she has danced the role before. Cuthbertson has danced it too before (I think?)...but we know Nunez will be picked over her. Anyways, sorry to direct us off the main topic! Just had to add my two cents while I'm perusing the forum updates. Ha! 

Edited by HappyTurk
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

It’s not. The Rose Adagio is the tribute to Margot Fonteyn.

Hmmm - it’s the way that the performance is listed that made it look like the ‘Manon’ PDD was part of the Tribute to Fonteyn - thank you bangorballetboy.

Ondine pdd and R&J balcony pdd are part of tribute to Margot as well.

Manon pdd sounds odd if it is a part of tribute programme.

This could be marketing Japanese ballet fan to visit Covent Garden next season? 

McGregor, Wheeldon and Scarlett works were wiped out, because full Winter Dreams is going to be performed instead of farewell pdd.