Jan McNulty

The Royal Ballet: La Bayadère, London, November 2018

41 minutes ago, Vanartus said:

on the whole LB is low very very very low on my list of wots-wrong-with-the world

...yes, and to return to appreciation of the actual ballet, the artistry, the classicism, the acting/miming,  the costumes, and the music, all combine for  me to regard this beautiful production as pretty high on my list of wots-right-with-the -world!

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 8

22 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Just to say am too looking forward to Bayadere tonight with a standing ticket by courtesy of someone from this Forum. 

I hadn't booked to see it twice originally but all the rave reviews here and from friends who have seen tonight's cast decided another visit was a must!! So am very pleased to have obtained this ticket.

Inspite of a few flaws in this ballet as soon as the music starts I 'm sure all will be forgiven on the historical front and I will be able to just revel in the wonderful dancing. 

Wont have IPad access for a few days so hope this thread is still open when I come back!!

How lovely, Lin! Enjoy.  I was fortunate to see Takada, Naghdi and Mcrae on Saturday but am going to the cinema tonight to enjoy it all over again.  Have a super evening. ☺️

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Indeed.... I don't know what "commentators" Luke Jennings is referring to, and it is almost as if he is  postulating such people simply to  it allow him to appear more reasonable as he floats his less drastic, and more clever idea of keeping  La Bayadere as a moral teaching point.

It's not the first time Luke Jennings (seemingly) takes every possible opportunity to be strangely critical of the RB. Does he have a hang up somewhere? His reviews over the past few years have been strange to say the least. I used to enjoy reading his reviews in the past, found them balanced and intelligent but in recent years there is always a bitter undertone in his critic. I no longer read his reviews. 

• Like 1

I am really looking forward to the screening too- just wondering if the best bits can possibly live up to the memory of first night....

I wonder if there any changes in the cast from then? ( light the blue touchpaper and retire...)

• Like 1

Luke Jennings should perhaps concentrate on getting the act correct when referring to the Shades, instead of pontificating about our colonial past....

Anyway to everyone who is going to the ROH or the cinema this evening, I hope you are all wowed by the gorgeous artistry on display all round.  

• Like 10

I do enjoy a good spat - though I've no intention to join in, this time.

What I did want to mention was if anyone remembers the Maryinsky's  presentation of the Vikharev reworking of Bayadere at Covent Garden about twenty or so years ago? It was originally billed as a reconstruction of the original, though it turned out to be nothing of the sort. Vikharev took the soviet-era reworking of the ballet (by Vaganova, Dudinskaya, Ponamarev and Chaboukiani) and slotted in as much as could be reconstructed from the Stepanov notation, which consisted largely of an additional pas d'action, some character dances and several processionals. These, together with a repositioning in the ballet of some dances for Nikya and Solor, made the evening much longer (about 45-50 minutes longer than the Makarova production) and the whole affair much statelier and grander. It made the Makarova version seem quite speedy and brisk (words not often used in connection with Makarova!). 

The most satisfying production, in my view, is Nureyev's for Paris. It is grand and spectacular (from memory I think the designs are by Enzo Frigiero ) and the choreography is technically demanding (much more so than in the Makarova version)  and appropriate.

Finally, can anyone confirm if the Royal Ballet have performed the Nureyev version of the shades act since they took the Makarova full-length version into the rep? I can't recall their doing so, but I may be mistaken.

• Like 2

Thanks Richard, I missed it. What an absolute treat we have in store. Not only the sublime lead dancers but those 3  Shades.

• Like 4

So looking forward to the cinema relay. What a cast line up!  

The Royal Ballet clearly showing off their top ballerinas for all to see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sim said:

Luke Jennings should perhaps concentrate on getting the act correct when referring to the Shades

Thanks Sim - I tried to make that point on the Guardian webpage where another poster argued Luke Jennings was correct as the original La Bayadere was in 4 Acts.  But the literature for the Royal Ballet's Makarova production very much describes the production as being in 3 Acts and highlights the Shades as being in Act 2.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Thanks Sim - I tried to make that point on the Guardian webpage where another poster argued Luke Jennings was correct as the original La Bayadere was in 4 Acts.  But the literature for the Royal Ballet's Makarova production very much describes the production as being in 3 Acts and highlights the Shades as being in Act 2.

Well done John.  Jennings isn't reporting on the original Bayadere.  He is reporting on the RB Makarova version, and that is in three acts, with the Shades being Act 2.  It is what he has seen onstage that he is reporting on, not what other versions might do!!  

• Like 3

How exciting about tonight's performance. I hope everyone at the Opera House and in cinemas has a wonderful time. 

I can't wait until Friday when I go. I am going to stick my neck out and hazard a guess that Gamzatti suits Osipova best and Nikiya suits Nunez best but happy to be proved wrong. How lucky we are to have the opportunity to see this swap.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Douglas Allen said:

Finally, can anyone confirm if the Royal Ballet have performed the Nureyev version of the shades act since they took the Makarova full-length version into the rep? I can't recall their doing so, but I may be mistaken.

I'm almost positive the answer's no.

Well, I hope everyone enjoys it tonight.  Because of getting delayed at the office, and the Vue website malfunctioning when I tried to book farther away, I'm afraid I'm stuck with my local, exorbitantly-priced cinema, which is a very poor environment for watching live relays :(   When we get some better cinemas around this area, they won't see me for dust!

I’m surprised there are more people here in Bath tonight than there was for Swan Lake! 😯

I’m really enjoying the Nunez/Osipova line up, I had originally hoped it would be Osipova/Nunez but this is great 

I loved seeing the close up of Gamzatti’s second dress during the build up, I had no idea it  had such detailing. 

Did anyone get notified of Thomas Whitehead taking over from Christopher Saunders? 

5 hours ago, Xandra Newman said:

It's not the first time Luke Jennings (seemingly) takes every possible opportunity to be strangely critical of the RB. Does he have a hang up somewhere? His reviews over the past few years have been strange to say the least. I used to enjoy reading his reviews in the past, found them balanced and intelligent but in recent years there is always a bitter undertone in his critic. I no longer read his reviews. 

It seems like a rather apologetic excuse for a non-review to suit the 21st century liberal values of the newspaper rather than making good use of column inches to actually review the ballet. Not everything they write about needs to be political. 

• Like 4

I’ve died and gone to heaven. Obviously Luke Jennings will hang me out to dry.

• Like 8

Yes -  I cycled home on a  fluffy cloud under a beautiful crescent moon.

Honestly I think the best thing I have seen all year, or perhaps for some years. Perfection. ....it DID live up to the first night and seeing it close up was just wonderful. What a cast, what a corp and briliant ensemble work all round. Muntagirov  like a being from another planet- the incarnation of a classical ideal; Nunez was heart-rending and Osipova a phenomenon. A DVD!!

• Like 12

I thought Osipova looked very much as if she would have liked Vadream/Solor  served on toast during Act One. It was rather chilling.

• Like 6

Great performance, shame about the cinema :)   Also sorry that it showed up so dark (Act I Scene 2 surprised me, as I'd always perceived it as well-lit) - the sets are SO beautiful when you can see them properly!

Oh, and did someone drop a tealight?  I heard noises off, but the camera was showing close-ups at the time.

• Like 1

Loved it.  Three fabulous leads, the Shades exquisite, and a special thanks to Gary Avis's High Brahmin - such a wonderful character artist and so much more convincing in the role than Saturday's matinee.  Also I've been meaning to say how much I've enjoyed Sergei Levitin's violin solos.  The cinema extras were excellent, particularly Samantha Raine and the Shades.

• Like 8

I think Marianela Nuñez has the goddess in her. That was extraordinary. So much else was wonderful, it was a stupendous performance. But Nikiya was pure witchcraft; what a privilege to see. Thank you RB

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, alison said:

Great performance, shame about the cinema :)   Also sorry that it showed up so dark (Act I Scene 2 surprised me, as I'd always perceived it as well-lit) - the sets are SO beautiful when you can see them properly!

Oh, and did someone drop a tealight?  I heard noises off, but the camera was showing close-ups at the time.

Yes, they did, but it was expertly retrieved! A (very) small blemish on a memorable evening.  There can’t have been many better casts, and corps, in the previous 130 performances of this production.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Mary said:

Yes -  I cycled home on a  fluffy cloud under a beautiful crescent moon.

Honestly I think the best thing I have seen all year, or perhaps for some years. Perfection. ....it DID live up to the first night and seeing it close up was just wonderful. What a cast, what a corp and briliant ensemble work all round. Muntagirov  like a being from another planet- the incarnation of a classical ideal; Nunez was heart-rending and Osipova a phenomenon. A DVD!!

I tubed home under harsh artificial light. Other than that, I echo Mary's comments to the word. Such brilliance and beauty. Indescribable.

• Like 3

Oh well.  And I assume they got a very good recording the other night for any bits they might need to swap in :) 

• Like 1

Amazing. Feel so privileged to have seen Osipova/Nuñez swap roles, Corrales and Muntagirov, and in two different venues and media. Fabulous.

• Like 5

I am so pleased everyone enjoyed it so much. I sooo hope they release a DVD of this stellar cast. 

Candles have been dropping at almost every performance I have been to in this run...are they using a different polish or something?!  Last week three different dancers dropped them in the same performance.  😱

• Like 4